X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD2
    replied
    Im not gonna use an aider for one sticking it
    DId get some Muddy Pro sticks if I hunt public.
    No saddle yet.

Have a Muddy Outfitter as my good stand, and 2 dozen new EZY steps.

Then i have a Muddy hang on thats lighter, and the pro sticks.

Lastly a cheap Big Game hang on and ladder stick.
    If I can get it off the creek tree LOL
    The ladder i hung today isnt gonna be moved, at least not by me. See what ma nature does to it tonight.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Maybe look at saddle hunting.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. My original mentor back in 1990 taught me a lot about rifles, reloading, and some about duck hunting. He passed away back in 2006 and had always been an abrupt a-hole... but he was smart and knew what he was talking about. I went duck hunting with him for a few seasons but at the time it seemed more trouble than it was worth. I'll hunt wood ducks in the swamp if ever taking it up again.

For deer hunting most of my time has been spent on public land where it takes an average of 9 to 11 hunter days per deer. My success was usually gained by being deep into the property where most other hunters don't go. In some spots I know those 43,000 acres very well and learned the deer and pig travel paths. But it's rough hunting and in my 60's probably not the safest thing to do alone.

The hunting lease requires a sign-in/out for the area or stand to hunt. If you're late and a no-show, someone will soon come looking to make sure you're ok. But it's not my preferred method to sit in a box overlooking a food plot or bait. I really need to find approach travel paths and start hunting those and use the skills learned over the last 30 years. Not much skill needed for staying concealed in a box. Perhaps the ladder stands are where I need to go...

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    PH one good thing about duck hunting is the learning curve will be quick. Call them pals, call them mentors, but whatever you call them they will speed up the process of success and offer valuable insight( don't call it criticism). Maybe that's what you could use deer hunting? Not someone trudging up your ass in the woods but someone before and after a days hunt rehashing what worked and what didn't. A different perspective helps me from time to time. Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Good on ‘ya PH for trying something different. Or retrying I guess.

You've invested quite a bit of time, money and effort into different types of deer hunting the past few years with, well, less than satisfying results from the way you’ve posted about it. I always had the impression you were realistic in expectations but it would definitely bum me out after awhile. Maybe something with more action might be good for recharging your batteries.

Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I didn’t think you were into wing shooting much PH, are clays a new interest or have I missed something?
    I'm not much into wing shooting but have considered duck hunting again. I've a friend who likes to shoot clays and I've been one time with him. He let me try the CZ and it was faster on target and follow-up than my 870, so that sparked my interest.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Rifle season runs until the 12’th and then Muzzleloader from the 13’th-21’st. We’re still at it but nothing much to report. He’s seen a couple of the same small ones but I haven’t been out. We finished cutting my buck up last night so I’ll be back at it with my doe tag this weekend.

Mentioned on F&S, both kids are quarantined as of this morning. Neither sick but he tested positive after having to pool test for college classes. He found out he’s not getting any assignments for now so he’s stuck at home during deer season with nothing to do and nowhere to go but on the hill. I think he’ll manage.

She’s not a happy camper, she has to wait for two weeks after he’s cleared before she’s allowed out. She told him this morning “You’re ruining my life”, with the drama of a 15 year old girl. It was kinda funny, except it wasn’t.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied

I didn’t think you were into wing shooting much PH, are clays a new interest or have I missed something?
    Yeah PH what's up with the clays?

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Dewman, you were checking into Bergara B14’s not long ago weren’t you? I was wondering if that had anything to do with your son’s choice of this rifle.
    I think it had a lot to do with it. It was pretty well known if I hadn't stumbled into the model 70 I was organizing finances to acquire one.
    Reading about them today I learned they also make one with a carbon fiber barrel, something I've no interest in. Say Fitch, have you guys stopped deer hunting or has sightings slowed down? Remember to keep us updated. Speaking of which, I sent the scope back for round 2.🤞

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    LOL! That looks a lot nicer than my Ruger American rimfire!

I'm selling my Ruger MKii to a co-worker and may use the proceeds on a CZ 1012 shotgun for clays.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Dewman, you were checking into Bergara B14’s not long ago weren’t you? I was wondering if that had anything to do with your son’s choice of this rifle.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post

Its threaded so if I ever get a supressor they'll never know I'm there😉
    I like using a suppressor on my Ruger. It's a whole new level of fun! Right now, the suppressor is on my Mark iii.

Ruger MK iii with Suppressor 01.jpg

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Sweet. I’ll bet the squirrels won’t like it one bit.
    Its threaded so if I ever get a supressor they'll never know I'm there😉

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

I'm selling my Ruger MKii to a co-worker and may use the proceeds on a CZ 1012 shotgun for clays.
    If I wanted to go out today and buy a shotgun myself,that is the one I would buy. Having a Beretta A390 got me to like a squared off back receiver.The receivers come in different colors, I like the bronze.
    Last edited by dewman; 12-01-2021, 03:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget