Sight in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sight in

It’s only two weeks until the youth deer weekend so it was past time to get my daughter’s m700 .243 dialed in from the scope swaps I did a few months ago. Not to mention my .270 that now wears an old school Vari-X IIc and the new Ruger American .270 with a brand new Burris FullField II.

All in all things went well, if not a bit slow. My first takeaway is that despite fighting it for years I need to give in and buy a boresighter. I started out at 25 yards doing the look through the bore, look through the scope deal. It was fine and dandy getting on paper until moving back to 100. Somehow it’s a 50/50 chance things come anywhere near close. I didn’t waste ammo but the Ruger took a lot of clicks to get the windage where it needed to be. Conversely the two Remingtons weren’t bad at all to start. Both those scopes had been sighted in before. In fact the 4200 went from one 700 to the other in the same Talley Lightweights.

It only took a couple shots to get straightened out at 100 yards. Fortunately all three scopes tracked as expected. The only glitch was I forget the Leupold has friction adjustments and I didn’t have a coin or screwdriver with me. Ended up using the truck key.

All ammo was factory. For the .270’s I used Hornady American Whitetail 130’s and for the .243 Federal Non-Typical 100gr soft points. I used my chronograph just for velocity baselines to compare hand loads later.

Just for reference here’s the numbers.

Hornady box velocity for the .270; 3060 ft/sec

Rem 700 .270
    Slowest: 2858
    Fastest: 2999. Deviation 141 fps
    Average: 2894.5

Ruger American .270
    Slowest: 2839
    Fastest: 2965. Deviation 126 fps
    Average: 2895

Consistent between the two rifles and not bad compared to the box velocity. Both rifles have 22” barrels

Rem 700 .243 w/ Federal Non Typical
    Box velocity; 2960

Slowest: 2927
    Fastest: 2977 Deviation 50 fps
    Average: 2951

I’ll admit to being a bit surprised. Very consistent speeds and only 9 fps slower than advertised. No wonder that stuff has a reputation for accuracy. Same loads as the blue box ammo.

After just dialing in the three to about 1.5”-2”” high at 100 yards I taped up three circle targets to shot for a final group without adjusting anything. The only thing I don’t like about these targets is the orange bull is only 3/4” in diameter. They are better suited for .22lr work but we got a bunch cheap so I use them.

Lower right target was kinda funny. I’d been shooting in a t-shirt and the .270’s were starting to get to me a bit. The Kid had been helping his mom at the house but walked up just after I finished the three shot groups. Since my daughter will be using Federal Premium ammo with 100gr Nosler Partitions I wanted to check zero with those so it was ready to go. I asked the Kid to shoot since he’d missed out and I’d had plenty. Those shells aren’t cheap so I said get out three but shoot one and see what happens. He fired the gun and I ask him “Well?”. He says “I can’t see it”. I’m thinking what the heck, they’re a shoot n see type deal. Instead of shooting another we walk up to check first. Different POI but close enough, lol. That round clocked at only 2738 fps, just over 200 fps slower than the NT. Box says 2850. Need a bigger sample size but I’m sure it will be minute of buck.

3A302ABF-868E-4CCF-B76C-98C1563AC4E1.jpeg
    Last edited by fitch270; 09-25-2021, 09:42 PM.

I see venison stew on the table and TOK's deer head at the taxidermist! LOL!
    Looking good mi amigo!

Comment

Majority of others at the range the last 2 days were dads and grandpas lining out rifles either with or for kids. I'd say 3 out of 4 were 243's. One 308 I know, don't know all the others. Most had a 22 as well. No ARs popping away so fairly peaceful and laid back.
      the guy beside me & his 14yr old boy had a Weatherby 243 with a Sig scope. I checked out the scope, not bad. There was an old Winchester 100 on the other side a couple of spots down. I noticed it jammed twice on them but it too, was laying them in there just fine.
      After the other day I'm set for this year. Saving the rest of my ammo for drawing blood. Still don't have any more squirrel forays planned.

Comment

Vertical string on upper right , IF SHOT ALL AT ONE SETTING is indicitive of barrel heating - so I have been told.

Comment

The vertical stringing is just a chance happening, none of the barrels heated past warm. I should have used another diamond style target and aimed for a different corner each time. Those ones aren’t easy to center on so I’m sure I could have done a little better.

Comment

Now that's the type of range report I like to see. Velocity data and targets. Hornady states their data is from a 24-inch test barrel. Rule of thumb is to subtract 25 fps for every inch shorter. I wonder if they are posting their max instead of AVG or Mean. That seems to be a high Standard Deviation. I bet you can do much better with handloads.

I've used car keys to adjust scopes - whatever cranks the tractor! I suggest a range bag for the necessities.

At the bench, I use a recoil pad to keep from getting shooter fatigue.

Comment

I use a PAST magnum recoil pad at the bench. Even a modest kicker will turn a shoulder to cubed steak after an extended range session plus it helps to account for heavier clothing normally worn during hunting season. I haven’t shot enough factory ammo the last 10 or 15 years to comment. I sighted my .30-06 in with some 175 gr Barnes LRX factory loads and it shot under an inch at 100 yards and wasn’t going to waste any running it over the screens. My new to me 6.5-300 Weatherby puts the 127 gr LRX and 130 gr Scirocco factory loads under half-inch at 100. I’m betting the MV is everything printed on the box as that has been my experience with all Weatherby factory ammo. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                I use a PAST magnum recoil pad at the bench. Even a modest kicker will turn a shoulder to cubed steak after an extended range session plus it helps to account for heavier clothing normally worn during hunting season. I haven’t shot enough factory ammo the last 10 or 15 years to comment. I sighted my .30-06 in with some 175 gr Barnes LRX factory loads and it shot under an inch at 100 yards and wasn’t going to waste any running it over the screens. My new to me 6.5-300 Weatherby puts the 127 gr LRX and 130 gr Scirocco factory loads under half-inch at 100. I’m betting the MV is everything printed on the box as that has been my experience with all Weatherby factory ammo. Happy Trails
                What scope are you running on the 6.5-300 Wby?

I may start dropping hints about PAST pads. I’m still working on baselines for load work up and figured factory ammo was a good place to start. I bought some cheaper fodder last summer in anticipation of starting to hand load and for scope swaps. If nothing else it turned out to be a source of brass.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I may start dropping hints about PAST pads. I’m still working on baselines for load work up and figured factory ammo was a good place to start. I bought some cheaper fodder last summer in anticipation of starting to hand load and for scope swaps. If nothing else it turned out to be a source of brass.
                  Fitch, that recoil pad would be used by the whole family when shooting from the bench. PigHuntress would have probably developed a flinch shooting her .308 if she hadn't worn the PAST.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Fitch, that recoil pad would be used by the whole family when shooting from the bench. PigHuntress would have probably developed a flinch shooting her .308 if she hadn't worn the PAST.
                    So getting dialed in at 100 took a lot of trips back and forth to the target. Forgot my spotting scope. One shot, go look, repeat.

One trip back to the bench I forgot to put my muffs back on. Dang them .270’s are loud when you aren’t shooting at fur!

Thanks for the tip, it’s a good idea.

Comment

The 6.5-300 Wby wears a USA made Burris Signature Select 3-12x42 with ballistic plex reticle, a proven scope I’ve had around for a while on various rifles. I have 4 boxes of factory ammo (minus 14 rounds) and 50 unfired Wby cases, 100 Barnes LRX, and enough US869 to load ‘em all.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

The 6.5-300 Wby wears a USA made Burris Signature Select 3-12x42 with ballistic plex reticle, a proven scope I’ve had around for a while on various rifles. I have 4 boxes of factory ammo (minus 14 rounds) and 50 unfired Wby cases, 100 Barnes LRX, and enough US869 to load ‘em all.

Potent combination, that scope sounds just about perfect for western hunting at sane ranges.

Any opinion yet on how she stacks up against your 7mm Wby?

Comment

Potent combination, that scope sounds just about perfect for western hunting at sane ranges.

Any opinion yet on how she stacks up against your 7mm Wby?
                          Hard to say. I think it would be slightly better at long range than the 7mm, but the numbers game doesn’t alway directly correspond with on-game performance. Sane ranges is the key! I know the fast .264’s have been effective on large game, but the 7mm with 145-150 gr bullets has been my go to for deer and elk before the .300 Wby came along. The Signature Select has seen service on the .300 and 7mm. My other 7mm Wby still wears a 3-10x 42 Signature Select. Too bad those were discontinued….

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget