Shooting pistols round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting pistols round 2

I almost didn't post anything because I still have a touch of the red a**. There was a fella there who brought his pistols but didn't bring any of his squirreled away ammo. He chose instead to mooch as much of it as he could from others(18 from me) and even had the balls to want to leave with both his revolvers carrying full cylinders. He didn't get to, or make any friends either. On to better subjects.....
    if you have a shiny polished stainless Ruger vaquero make sure you are in the shade when trying to aim it. Poor fella could not hit a thing then he would hand it to one of us in the shade and we would make the steel sing. Took him a couple cylinders to realize he was aiming with what amounted to a flashlight in your face for a front sight.
    A kamikaze woodchuck came out by some old implements at maybe 75 yds causing a Chinese fire drill on the tailgates we use as our benches/seats. About a half dozen rounds were got off at him before he got bored and disappeared under a VW bug carcass. I didn't get to shoot as try as I might I couldn't get 45lc to load in my 357. Next time I'll look at what I'm doing.
    I am longing hard for a S&W 15-3 combat masterpiece. 4" barrel, 38special. As close to perfect as I think a revolver could be. There were 2 there. A Colt Cobra 2" snubbie was sweet as well. There was a Comanche 45/410 that convinced me I don't need a hybrid pistol (Taurus judge/S&W Governor)for anything. Shot my mk4's, boringly predictable hitting every time. Couple fellas with mk2's & 3's sold on the mk4 so trading in the future I believe.
    stay safe.

Stinks when one guy has to rain on everyone’s parade. Sounds like maybe he got the hint.

You telling about the woodchuck has me thinking about the opening scene in “Dances with Wolves”. Good thing for him nobody had a rifle along.

My crew needs to hit the range soon to knock some rust off before fall. We spent yesterday and today attending graduation parties. Good weekend but didn’t accomplish a thing. It’s ok, you need those once in a while.

Comment

Fitch270: You do need the parties. One year earlier and they would not have happened.(Covid of course) Time moves forward and you got to take the time to soak in those events that will be in your mind forever. Plenty of time to hit the range. Bring the subject up, their reaction will let you know if they're ready. Now is the time to mentally envision how the season will go and make alterations, try new things, replace the broken and worn, see if there is any changes the kids want to try. Be flexible.
      The Dances with Wolves comparison was spot on😉
      Yes, he got the hint. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

I sold my stainless Vaquero last year and you're right, that shine can make sighting a challenge. It was a good revolver but I'd stopped carrying it hunting, using a 4-inch SP101 instead.

Worked at the lease clearing shooting lanes around a couple new ladder stands. May take a deer from one with that Sp101 so I need to practice.

Comment

I don't know why, but the stainless Vaqueros always remind me of the "gunslinger period" in Little Big Man. What a movie.

Comment

Vaqueros sure are pretty though and in a sharp rig, cool cool cool😍

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Vaqueros sure are pretty though and in a sharp rig, cool cool cool😍
              I have a leather drop-leg rig and carried the Vaquero unloaded a couple of times to Halloween house parties. In the woods, I carried the revolver in an leather cross-draw holster on my weak side hip. That way I could easily get to it when sitting in a climber.

PigHunter with crossdraw.jpg
              Last edited by PigHunter; 06-28-2021, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                I almost didn't post anything because I still have a touch of the red a**. There was a fella there who brought his pistols but didn't bring any of his squirreled away ammo. He chose instead to mooch as much of it as he could from others(18 from me) and even had the balls to want to leave with both his revolvers carrying full cylinders. He didn't get to, or make any friends either. On to better subjects.....
                if you have a shiny polished stainless Ruger vaquero make sure you are in the shade when trying to aim it. Poor fella could not hit a thing then he would hand it to one of us in the shade and we would make the steel sing. Took him a couple cylinders to realize he was aiming with what amounted to a flashlight in your face for a front sight.
                A kamikaze woodchuck came out by some old implements at maybe 75 yds causing a Chinese fire drill on the tailgates we use as our benches/seats. About a half dozen rounds were got off at him before he got bored and disappeared under a VW bug carcass. I didn't get to shoot as try as I might I couldn't get 45lc to load in my 357. Next time I'll look at what I'm doing.
                I am longing hard for a S&W 15-3 combat masterpiece. 4" barrel, 38special. As close to perfect as I think a revolver could be. There were 2 there. A Colt Cobra 2" snubbie was sweet as well. There was a Comanche 45/410 that convinced me I don't need a hybrid pistol (Taurus judge/S&W Governor)for anything. Shot my mk4's, boringly predictable hitting every time. Couple fellas with mk2's & 3's sold on the mk4 so trading in the future I believe.
                stay safe.
                The early Mk's did not do good on the function front. When we shot bowling pins they invariable jammed. I shot my Browning Challenger (Belgium) and in my younger years held the Club record. 5 pins OFF the table - does not count if you just knock one down and spin it around. My record was five pins in 2.6 seconds

Comment

My MK was fine w HV ammo.
                  Ran hyper V in my AMT....cracked MS Housing LOL
                  Gonna baby this one

Comment

High Standard 106 Supermatic Trophy Volquartsen carbon tension bbl w Burris 3-12x AO pistol scope

It clears the rear sight and I dont want to pop the bridge off and on so works out. Press the button and swap from scoped to iron sight bbl.

Too bad i have no placd overrun w ground squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      High Standard 106 Supermatic Trophy Volquartsen carbon tension bbl w Burris 3-12x AO pistol scope

It clears the rear sight and I dont want to pop the bridge off and on so works out. Press the button and swap from scoped to iron sight bbl.

Too bad i have no placd overrun w ground squirrels.
                      Slick set up. Hope you have ammo for it.

Comment

I have some reg and match ammo. Been collecting dust.

Can run a few from each and see what it prefers.

Locally 22 rf reg ammo is 8 bucks for 50 rounds, reg stuff. Wont pay it.

My CZ455 likes SK match and its nowhere.
                        Does OK w CCI Blazer.....which for now, is also nowhere to be found.

Comment

Did see a Christensen Arms .22 bolt rig at LGS.
                          Pretty neat. But I dont shoot my 455 enough to upgrade.

Will mess w the Volq bbl some and maybe hit another range and play at 200 with it. Proly end up keeping the HS iron sighted

Scoped w long bbl is just a range toy. Iron sighted i can still take it on the trail, maybe. My eyes are iffy some days, OK others.
                          Last edited by CD2; 07-15-2021, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Best buy 2 cases of clays. One for me and the HS, the other for the ol lady and her 1022

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                              I have some reg and match ammo. Been collecting dust.

Can run a few from each and see what it prefers.

Locally 22 rf reg ammo is 8 bucks for 50 rounds, reg stuff. Wont pay it.

My CZ455 likes SK match and its nowhere.
                              Does OK w CCI Blazer.....which for now, is also nowhere to be found.
                              Right now we have enough .22 on hand to get through our league this winter but none of it has been used yet in any of our rifles. Going to keep looking but may have to make due. I’m going to try to set a limit of $50/brick, maybe $60 if it’s something I like. It’s a family thing, even at $10 a box we couldn’t all go to a movie for the price of a match so I’m not going to beat myself up over it.

Didn’t realize CA made rimfires, I’ll have to check them out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                                by Amflyer
                                Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                                07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                              • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                                by fitch270
                                This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                                07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                              • Top three. (3)
                                by FirstBubba
                                We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                                What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                                1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                                07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                              • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                                by fitch270
                                The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                                07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                              • Right now
                                by fitch270
                                07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X