Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tip for recoil pad fit. Apologies for yet again another Dewman post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip for recoil pad fit. Apologies for yet again another Dewman post.

So it occurred to me as I was fixing the mediocre rubber buttpad (not a recoil pad in my book) fit on my recent 10/22 Boyd's that I had never mentioned back when I did my 2 Winchesters how I get such a smooth perfect fit. Easy. The final fitting I do with a work sharp set at grind. Used to have a belt sander that worked beautiful, secret there was using a much worn belt. But if you don't have a belt sander handy. Or a dremel (with the needed patience) then a Worksharp is very nice and will satisfy even the most discerning eye. Remember to tape your stock first. IMG_2443.JPG

Jeez, Dew, don't 'poligise for posting!

Nice tip, btw, with the Worksharp. I have a crappy pad install that I will try this on. Did you use the coarse belt for this?

Put a little neutral shoe polish on the ground part of the pad, and it will look even better.

And it will undoubtedly group 0.0-0.1" at 200 yards...

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
      Jeez, Dew, don't 'poligise for posting!

Nice tip, btw, with the Worksharp. I have a crappy pad install that I will try this on. Did you use the coarse belt for this?

Put a little neutral shoe polish on the ground part of the pad, and it will look even better.

And it will undoubtedly group 0.0-0.1" at 200 yards...
      I used just the brown.(medium) It removes material VERY fast. Afraid the green would go too fast and I'd overshoot flush. Do not use the fine buffer (purple belt) either as it will burn and ball the rubber making it rough and ugly. I've heard acetone with a q-tip will smooth surfaces too but will look for some shoe polish because I find that intriguing. Thanks.
      As for grouping, this is not going to be tack driver to brag on. Wasn't before, still ain't. Squirrel at 50 yd or so with a rock solid rest is its outer limit. And that's with a whole shoulder to aim at. Thought about switching the 4x for a 3x9 but then the barrel would look puny, I'd have to get a bull barrel and hog out the channel. Nope, I'm good.

Comment

BTW: Wife got these at a yard sale this morning. $10 for 90 rds. The S&B were missing 10. Don't have the heart to tell her I don't own a .380.🤔😳🙄🤦🏻‍♂️ IMG_2444.JPG

Comment

Second the motion on not apologizing.

Seem to recall you have the Ken Onion model of WorkSharp, no? I have the original model that only has on/off. I suppose with the right belt it would still work. Maybe if I stumble on a good project gun someday I’ll give it a go.

Great snag on the ammo regardless. A gal I know has a .380 and loves it, maybe pick one up for your wife?

Comment

Thanks! Great tip. I'll do that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              Second the motion on not apologizing.

Seem to recall you have the Ken Onion model of WorkSharp, no? I have the original model that only has on/off. I suppose with the right belt it would still work. Maybe if I stumble on a good project gun someday I’ll give it a go.

Great snag on the ammo regardless. A gal I know has a .380 and loves it, maybe pick one up for your wife?
              I have the model that has 3 belts & the grind feature as well as the Ken Onion.
              No on the 380.

Comment

Usta watch Mitch and Whit cut down recoil pads on a benchtop belt sander.
                Those guys killed me!
                They put two layers of masking tape above the recoil pad. Mitch easily ground off one layer of tape and called it good.
                Whit could calmly grind the second layer of tape in half, then smooth things out with a sanding block!
                It looked like the pad "grew" out of the stock!
                Mine has a lip all the way around! I'm just a chicken! LOL!

Great post dewman!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                  BTW: Wife got these at a yard sale this morning. $10 for 90 rds. The S&B were missing 10. Don't have the heart to tell her I don't own a .380.🤔😳🙄🤦🏻‍♂️ IMG_2444.JPG
                  At the Flea Market those are going for close to $1.00 per round.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                    by Amflyer
                    Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                    07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                  • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                    by fitch270
                    This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                    07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                  • Top three. (3)
                    by FirstBubba
                    We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                    What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                    1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                    07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                  • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                    by fitch270
                    The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                    07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                  • Right now
                    by fitch270
                    07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X