Anyone ever want a NA rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever want a NA rifle?

Wait...you don't know what a NA rifle is?

Not Available.

Remember when Winchester closed the doors, albeit for a brief time and came back with a better M70? Yeah, I wanted one of those then. Now, with Remington being in the process of restructuring or retooling or re-hiring or whatever they are doing, I find myself wanting one of the old gaudy, glossy, white-spacered M700 BDL's. Don't need one, not really my style of rifle, but then I see an old Remington ad somewhere

(THREE rings of steel!)

and I think I need to find one in some obsolete caliber, just because. I'm pretty set with Marlins, both the JM's and the Remlins, so I don't feel the need there, but that BDL...
    Last edited by Amflyer; 04-20-2021, 04:40 PM.

N/A rifles I wanted WAY too late!

Marlin M1897 (?) in .41 Rem Mag
    Ruger #1 OR #3 in .22 Hornet.
    Rem M7 (?) in .300 H&H

One of those crazy ideas that isn't available and I can't afford to have custom built.
    A Ruger "Black Hawk" chambered in .25-20 Win.
    Heck, just about ANY decent rifle chambered .25-20 Win! LOL!
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 04-20-2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I'm praying when Ruger gets Marlin cranked up again there will be 16" carbines in the 336 model chambered in many pistol calibers as well as 22mag. Fingers crossed. Number 1's in the 22 centerfires of every description also. Maybe a "mini" number 1 in the rimfires.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        I'm praying when Ruger gets Marlin cranked up again there will be 16" carbines in the 336 model chambered in many pistol calibers as well as 22mag. Fingers crossed. Number 1's in the 22 centerfires of every description also. Maybe a "mini" number 1 in the rimfires.
        A "mini" No.1?
        I'm intrigued! What is a "mini" No.1?
        Like a half pint or scaled down No.1 reciever chambered for rimfire?
        VERY interesting!
        ...and a tang sight and Vernier Globe front sight!?
        WOW! Iron sight fun and a half!

Comment

I should have bought a Barrett Fieldcraft when they were being discounted. You snooze you loose. Not sure what I want now that production is on hold.

I decided last fall I wanted my .270 back in it’s original BDL stock. To top it off one of the sets of rings I ordered last weekend was a pair of gloss Leupold Dual Dovetails that I’m going to use to mount the gloss VariX IIc that I bought for my .243 awhile back. I might even put the original Walker trigger back in the rifle.

Reason is after our trip I realized I’d tried to turn the rifle into something it wasn’t. As a teenager a 700 BDL in .270 was my dream gun, I was 28 or 29 when I found a clean used one at a show. I figure the 16 year old me still deserves to have it back the way it would have been in the 80’s. The 50 something year old me can still have whatever stainless synthetic he wants weather I buy it out right or put something together from the spare parts I’ve accumulated. Tinkering around with this stuff is half the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

A "mini" No.1?
            I'm intrigued! What is a "mini" No.1?
            Like a half pint or scaled down No.1 reciever chambered for rimfire?
            VERY interesting!
            ...and a tang sight and Vernier Globe front sight!?
            WOW! Iron sight fun and a half!
            My cousin has a 218 bee in a Winchester 43 that I drool over every time we shot it.(back when he could find ammo). I reckon a 3/4 size framed number 1 with a 24" barrel would warm me all over. I've got an old Leupold 12x w/dot I would mount on it. Many a daydream I've had of such a jewel while sitting under the oaks. Would settle for a triple deuce or hornet. Or maybe a 32-20 or 25-20 just to match up with your Blackhawk. I think they would go over well.

Comment

Ruger has been bad about introducing products and then not having them available for months. Unfortunately, Henry does the same thing.

The January 2012 Shot Show was when Ruger announced the American (centerfire version). That was indeed an innovative design even though they'd copied features from other manufacturers. I got on a waiting list that March and it was several months before getting a call from the gun shop. By that time I'd lost some of my interest and passed on buying one.

In September 2017, I eventually got a Ruger American in the Predator version chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's been a great rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                My cousin has a 218 bee in a Winchester 43 that I drool over every time we shot it.(back when he could find ammo). I reckon a 3/4 size framed number 1 with a 24" barrel would warm me all over. I've got an old Leupold 12x w/dot I would mount on it. Many a daydream I've had of such a jewel while sitting under the oaks. Would settle for a triple deuce or hornet. Or maybe a 32-20 or 25-20 just to match up with your Blackhawk. I think they would go over well.
                The gentleman who gave my son his .222 has mentioned having a .218 Bee and plenty of hand loads. I should invite him over shooting sometime and ask him to bring it along. I’m not sure how much he shoots anymore but he’d probably enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

The gentleman who gave my son his .222 has mentioned having a .218 Bee and plenty of hand loads. I should invite him over shooting sometime and ask him to bring it along. I’m not sure how much he shoots anymore but he’d probably enjoy it.
                  The triple deuce, 222, was developed by a Remington gunsmith and not based on any previous round.

The .222 Rem Spawned Today's Most Popular Cartridges | Outdoor Life
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 04-21-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

For whatever reason, I never thought the Fieldcraft was all that and a bag of chips....

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                      For whatever reason, I never thought the Fieldcraft was all that and a bag of chips....
                      Despite the hype they very well may not be either, but one would probably be the closest I’ll ever get to owning a NULA. I blame DEP for putting that idea in my head.

Comment

Barrett fieldcraft: Despite the romantic notion of scaling mountain tops with a 5lb rifle with an 18" barrel, the fact is when you are sucking air with no oxygen like a fish on the bank, soaking in sweat yet shaking from the cold cold howling air at or above timberline, a longer barrel on a heavier rifle will buy you desperately needed yards. Yards that translate into time to get solid and bring your heartbeat back. And if you were thinking more along the lines of a lightweight stalker for close quarters, a pump or semi auto will work just as well and give you a possible second chance if your first shot gets deflected. Hell, a 30-30 lever gun is still tough to beat here. But if you want to spend $2,000 to pose as a much traveled hunter while sitting in a popup from Wally World in sight of your kitchen I guess a it's up to you.

Comment

dewman
                          Years back I read an article about a gun builder who arranged a trip and built a rifle specifically for the hunt.
                          Way too late in the game to start over, he discovered that his 6.5 pound .338 Win Mag wasn't the BRIGHTEST idea he ever had! 😥
                          He had no choice but to drag the kicking mule through the tules, eventually tagging his prize.
                          But his first full day back home, he pulled that nightmare apart and did something else with the parts!
                          LMBO!
                          I don't care how short or long, heavy or light, if'n ya cain't shoot it, it may as well be a crutch!

Comment

My first BDL was a 7mag. Then i got a .243 and a 300 winmag. The latter two were cut solid panel checkering.

The 7 mag was skip line.

Had a couple 600s, a Model 7 and two ADL
                            Kinda dig the ADL.

Mine is finally what I wanted it to be...HS stock. Gre Tan pin and shroud. Leupold 4-12x AO.

Yeah the old white spacer rigs are cool. But im not very sentimental.

My Steyr PH is neat, but its heavy. Too heavy for a mountain rig IMHO.

Unfortunately my 700 is in .243, so if going where theres topography, will have to buy something else.
                            Last edited by CD2; 04-23-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Am falling apart as I get older.
                              Recoil is more annoying.

But a clunky and or heavy gun is worse.

A sporter of proper fit, balance and med weight is good enough

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget