Squirrel guns revisited. 2021 lineup announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrel guns revisited. 2021 lineup announced

So after the recent inventory selloff it was time to hit the range to evaluate what's left. My 22 rifles are my 511-x Remington & my ss synthetic 10/22 I bought 2 yrs ago at a $199 Christmas Eve sale at a academy. 10/22 pluses are the featherweight and almost zero maintenance. It shoots anything satisfactory. But honestly my old 1963 Rem will outshoot it and neither compares to the cz I had. I don't believe it will "break in" and amaze me. My experience with rimfire is first impressions are usually spot on. We shoot them better as we use them more but it's us, not the gun. Speaking rimfire only and as always, just my 2 cents. The Charger won't cut it as a squirrel gun as is. Best I can describe it is its rifle heavy and pistol accurate. Maybe brace it down the road if Biden wills it ok. IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2330.JPG IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2119.JPG Will take my mk4 Hunter if I want to tote a pistol after them.

I hadn’t wanted to bring it up but since you mentioned it I’ve been curious as to why you let the CZ go. I get the practical side of it since it’s one less type of ammo to stock, that it’s a sellers market (especially with the ammo you had) and that the trust factor may have lessened with the kaboom, but it seemed like you quite liked that one.

Could be my own bias showing since I’m partial to our CZ’s and have the 10/22 that just sits in the safe. I suppose if I had an older Remington with history to it that still shot well I wouldn’t have to ask.

Comment

It is sad to me when I think of the hours I spent with my grampa squirrel hunting.
      Small game hunting has become a thing of the past.
      Young boys no longer come of age afield with plentiful, easily hunted small game. Squirrels and rabbits and such.

Guess us old "baby boomers" are the tail end of the squirrel hunters that actually hunted for and enjoyed the rewards of fried squirrel or squirrel and dumplings.

Comment

My J.C. Higgins (Marlin Mod 81) is my main squirrel gun. 1965, it has a bunch of ammo through it. My squirrel spot is so productive I get my limit in less time than it takes to drive there. 6 shots, 6 squirrels. The scope is 8x but I have put the 4x back on.. jc higgins .22lr 006.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          My J.C. Higgins (Marlin Mod 81) is my main squirrel gun. 1965, it has a bunch of ammo through it. My squirrel spot is so productive I get my limit in less time than it takes to drive there. 6 shots, 6 squirrels. The scope is 8x but I have put the 4x back on.. jc higgins .22lr 006.JPG
          Do you still hunt or just sit down and let them work to you?

Comment

I've decided to hang on to my Ruger MK2 bull barrel and will eventually give it to one of the kids. The MK3 can take the suppressor so it has become the favorite. The old Winchester Model 74 from my Dad is still my favorite squirrel gun. But the Ruger American Rimfire is threaded and does well suppressed.

The Henry 22 mag is still fun to shoot and hunt with. It's overkill for squirrels but I'm hoping to kill a few more pigs with it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget