Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsafe Firearm-Ammunition Combinations

I just saw this topic in an email from Hodgdon. Below is a link to a SAAMI list of unsafe combinations. Have you experienced any of these? What do you do to prevent this?

The only instance I've experienced is in placing .243 Win into a 7.62x54R chamber. The Mosin-Nagant sounded weak when I fired and showed no damage. But the empty case was stuck and had to be pried out.

Unsafe-Arms-and-Ammunition-Combinations-Web-Site-and-Brochure-Master-Revised-8-24-2020.pdf (saami.org)

Here's some common ones:

22 Winchester Magnum - unsafe to chamber the following:
    > 17 Precision Made Cartridge
    > 22 BB Cap
    > 22 CB Cap
    > 22 Short
    > 22 Long
    > 22 Long Rifle
    > 22 Long Rifle Shot

12 Gauge - unsafe to chamber the following:
    > 16 Gauge
    > 20 Gauge

Saw a guy get 3 rounds of 270 out of a bolt action '06. Always thought it wouldn't chamber but I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. The blast is noticeable. I've seen some revolvers and shotguns that had been blown to bits at various gunsmiths over the years but that's was the only one I recall off the top of my head that I actually saw.
    When brother and his boy shoot deer rifles with me we don't even have our gear OUT at the same time. 7-08 & 308 are way to close. Same with my other nephew and his 243.
    When my little 17hm2 let loose I couldn't believe the power in that tiny case.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget