No announcement yet.

Is the ammo situation easing up any ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I come across a box I can use and it is $.50 or less on the dollar I pick it up. Got a little overstocked on .340 but there are a range of bullets from 200gr to 300gr with some premium bullets in the pic. . IMG_3529.JPG

Comment

Most of the time, I use plastic boxes from MTM and label from Midway.

2020_06_12 load.jpg
      357mag Handi Rifle 2020_06_19.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        Most of the time, I use plastic boxes from MTM and label from Midway.

2020_06_12 load.jpg
        357mag Handi Rifle 2020_06_19.jpg
        Last I went looking those MTM boxes were scarce and priced accordingly. A place I’d found a good deal on some bullets earlier had a bunch of styles in stock for less than $4 so I bought 7. Couple days later they were out of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Last I went looking those MTM boxes were scarce and priced accordingly. A place I’d found a good deal on some bullets earlier had a bunch of styles in stock for less than $4 so I bought 7. Couple days later they were out of stock.
          It's been a good investment for me. Never had a problem with them and have yet to wear out one.

Comment

It's been a good investment for me. Never had a problem with them and have yet to wear out one.
            I've got some MTM Case-Gard boxes pushing 50 years old and still look and work good.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Smart move. I have 'specific trip' boxes of ammo sitting around that I never shoot because they have expensive bullets, etc, and I always think I will get around to using them again. Never do. Probably should just shoot those Barnes TSX and A-Frames at the whitetails, but cup and core works just fine. So, the rounds sit and get dusty.
              I sort of do the same thing. I have 20 rounds of .300 Weatherby and 20 rounds of 7mm Weatherby loaded in new cases in my elk trip kit and 20-30 of each loaded in 1-2x fired brass for practice and checking zero. I am set for this year since I was packed up for 2020 and never went. I’m ready to strike this fall!

But to the OP, ammo situation is dire everywhere around here. If you are shooting a .222 Rem or .260 Rem, you are in luck. Or a 28 gauge.....

Comment

It's too bad we can't legally ship small quantIties of ammo person to person in this country. With all the localized pockets of ammo our scattered network here on this site could alleviate the shortage for each other. Done nationally on a big scale the anxiety might be relieved to the point where this hysterical hoarding would stop.

Comment

Harbor Freight has 30 cal plastic ammo boxes for under $4. They also has a field box with removable tray for about $12.

Comment

I think I’m going to the range Monday to do a little inventory reduction therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Harbor Freight has 30 cal plastic ammo boxes for under $4. They also has a field box with removable tray for about $12.
                      The MTM boxes I just bought are Made in the USA, those from Harbor Freight probably come from China and aren’t that much less money. Easy decision unless availability factors in.

Comment

My plan initially was to simply find a basic hunting load for each gun and do up a bunch. I’ve second guessed that for a couple reasons, mainly because of the possibility of lead free ammo being implemented in NY but also to keep components available for other applications in general. I have an idea of which direction I’ll be headed with the .270 and maybe the .243 using cup and cores but still have some work to do with them and haven’t shot the .22-250 loads yet or even loaded any for the 7mm-08. For the latter I’m still holding off to see if I can locate some magnum rifle primers since they seem to be strongly recommended for the powder I have for it. The idea is not to waste supplies on unnecessary load work.

Comment

My plan initially was to simply find a basic hunting load for each gun and do up a bunch. I’ve second guessed that for a couple reasons, mainly because of the possibility of lead free ammo being implemented in NY but also to keep components available for other applications in general. I have an idea of which direction I’ll be headed with the .270 and maybe the .243 using cup and cores but still have some work to do with them and haven’t shot the .22-250 loads yet or even loaded any for the 7mm-08. For the latter I’m still holding off to see if I can locate some magnum rifle primers since they seem to be strongly recommended for the powder I have for it. The idea is not to waste supplies on unnecessary load work.
                          🤯!
                          Traditional reloader dilemma! LOL!
                          I was gonna....then decided to.....but instead......!

Another of the joys....and woes of reloading!

Reloading gives you so many choices and options, it can get REALLY difficult deciding the best plan of action.

I constantly would get halfway through a plan and suddenly think, "Why didn't I.....? It would have been SO much easier!"

Back when reloading supplies were more affordable, I ended up with a bench full of different bullets, different primers, different powders, different cases, etc that I could load just about anything in any book!

fitch270, you're not going through anything a ton of us other reloaders haven't gone through!
                          It's just so damn much fun! LOL!

Comment

If components were readily available I’d be all over the place, the only plus side to the current situation is that it’s a strong check on not getting out of hand.

Comment

If components were readily available I’d be all over the place, the only plus side to the current situation is that it’s a strong check on not getting out of hand.
                              I've got a box of Sierra bullets, the cardboard box with metal corners, that's half full and still priced $3.98! LOL!

...but I can tell you're having a blast!

Good "loading"!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget