Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruger Charger?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ruger Charger?

    Ruger Charger pistols. Anyone have any thoughts about them? Yay or nay? Experience or observations?

  • #2
    I had heard of these in the past, but had forgotten.
    Looks like they took the 10/22 and just made a handgun out of it. Like an AR pistol.
    ...or a short barreled rifle?

    If you like that sort of thing, I suppose it's ok.
    I don't see any advantage except maybe magazine capacity.

    Comment


    • #3
      I ask because I have someone throwing a NiB w/bipod at me. I don't want to buy something just because it's cheap if I can't think of a use for it. It would be just one more to get rid of.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Ruger Charger pistols. Anyone have any thoughts about them? Yay or nay? Experience or observations?
        Which one are you looking at?
        I have fun shooting them.
        I use them for prairie dog shooting primarily.
        Mine are actually clone Charger's. Rich Mertz/MOA Corporation (Maker of the MOA Pistol)...He has sold the company though made both my receivers. He chambered up two different custom barrels. I have shot one to 450 yards on steel, and the other one I have grouped at 500 yards.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ernie View Post

          Which one are you looking at?
          I have fun shooting them.
          I use them for prairie dog shooting primarily.
          Mine are actually clone Charger's. Rich Mertz/MOA Corporation (Maker of the MOA Pistol)...He has sold the company though made both my receivers. He chambered up two different custom barrels. I have shot one to 450 yards on steel, and the other one I have grouped at 500 yards.
          It is a basic in the box Charger. Black plastic stock, no sights, pic rail,15 rd mag threaded for suppressor, with a cheap looking bipod that attaches with some sort of pic type mount that screws on the front stud.(there is no rear stud). No prairie dogs or gophers (groundsquirrels) around here. He's coming over this morning to put it all together (it's new still in plastic in the box) to show it to me and try to get me to buy it. The fact he's losing over $100 in less than 2-1/2 months tells me he couldn't find a use for it either. Another "Oh my God,Biden is president!" impulse buy. Hey just thought of this. Wonder if he impulse bought any ammo? Hmmmmmm......

          Comment


          • #6
            dewman, if he's willing to part with it cheap enough, I'd grab it just for the investment
            Had a chance to pick up a Ruger M77 in S&W .500 Mag. Had absolutely NO use for it, but they are rare as hens teeth now.
            Probably could have doubled my.money by now.

            Just a thought!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              dewman, if he's willing to part with it cheap enough, I'd grab it just for the investment
              Had a chance to pick up a Ruger M77 in S&W .500 Mag. Had absolutely NO use for it, but they are rare as hens teeth now.
              Probably could have doubled my.money by now.

              Just a thought!
              Investment aside, I could have found a use for a 77 in 500 S&W. THAT would be a cool gun to have and shoot, even if it held "toy" status. Wish I would come across something like that.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've looked at the charger several times and can never talk myself into one. Here's my reasoning:
                > Because of its size, not for concealed carry
                > There's not enough of a velocity difference to matter between it and a standard handgun for home defense
                > 9mm ammo is more expensive than .22 lr so I'll just stick with the later for plinking

                Other considerations:
                > Eventually high capacity mags will be a problem to own and the platform may get put on a ban list. Then you'll be faced with a decision... License it - get rid of it - hide it... So why buy trouble.
                > Finally, he may have had mechanical or accuracy issues and that's why he's dumping it.
                Last edited by PigHunter; 03-21-2021, 02:19 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I've looked at the charger several times and can never talk myself into one. Here's my reasoning:
                  > Because of its size, not for concealed carry
                  > There's not enough of a velocity difference to matter between it and a standard handgun for home defense
                  > 9mm ammo is more expensive than .22 lr so I'll just stick with the later for plinking

                  Other considerations:
                  > Eventually high capacity mags will be a problem to own and the platform may get put on a ban list. Then you'll be faced with a decision... License it - get rid of it - hide it... So why buy trouble.
                  > Finally, he may have had mechanical or accuracy issues and that's why he's dumping it.
                  It's a 22.
                  Its never been out of the box
                  it comes with a 15 but you can buy 10,5 & 1 rd mags.
                  Home defense? Concealed?Are you confusing a Charger with a Ruger 9mm pc?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    My feeling is these things are probably a tremendous amount of fun to shoot but have no real purpose other than to burn up ammo. Right now that’s not a good thing. Giving credit where credit is due, I could see using one for p’dog shooting like Ernie mentioned but we don’t have that option around here.

                    I brought this up earlier about you selling off some of your collection, if the gun intrigues you and is reasonably priced why not try it out? The worst that happens is you decide not to keep it and break even on the deal. Heck, even if you lose a couple bucks on this one you’d probably be ahead overall.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dewman View Post

                      It's a 22.
                      Its never been out of the box
                      it comes with a 15 but you can buy 10,5 & 1 rd mags.
                      Home defense? Concealed?Are you confusing a Charger with a Ruger 9mm pc?
                      My bad, I had it confused with the PC9

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Daughter-in-law at 200 yards with one of them.

                        100 yards, first time shooting it.

                        After hitting it a few times she intentionally went after the bolt heads
                        pd at 353 yards.

                        Group at 500 yards.


                        By all means get it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ernie: Well thanks to you my wife and daughters gave it the thumbs up. It will be theirs to shoot but I still get to be the ground crew. For now it is going to wear some cheap red dot they bought at Walmart. Since it wears the same beavertail grip as a AR15 they are looking at a Hogue fingergroove grip in either Aqua (like my Mk4) or pink. No plans for a brace, they want it left in the profile it is. Glad I have 10,5,25,&1 rd mags already lying around. When we get it shot I'll post how it all went. I also have a couple Harris bipods so I can remove the UTG bipod and mount it came with to gain more height if we need to.IMG_2330.JPG

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Looks like somebody’s going to put a dent in their ammo stash. Well done sir!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dewman View Post

                              It's a 22.
                              Its never been out of the box
                              it comes with a 15 but you can buy 10,5 & 1 rd mags.
                              Home defense? Concealed?Are you confusing a Charger with a Ruger 9mm pc?
                              You still looking for a air gun? Midway flyer has a benjamin on sale. .22cal

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X