Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin

All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box for any 7mm-08 ammo I have. This started out as me telling a couple of other regulars my cz parts were in transit and about the ammo CCI sent me. Was asked if I shot it yet. Said no, will shoot my 17hm2 when I try out my Winchester 7mm-08. Fella came over to offer me $12 a box for my 22's and $15 a box for my 17hm2's. Then came the offer on my model 70. Wanted to know if I had any other nice rifles,or shotguns, or pistols I might part with? Any extra ammo?
    Until now I've looked at this chaos solely from the buying side, never considered selling. Left with his name and number. Was going to pitch it but I find myself sitting here with it beside me as I type this. Thoughts? Any of you going through this also?

If yo don't get use out of it and no sentimental value, sell it.

Comment

Yes and no.

I got on an upgrade kick a couple years ago, the idea being to trade quantity for quality and to just keep and or buy things I’ll actually use. I’m talking about stuff in general.

Problem is I’m looking to pick up a couple guns but have several that don’t get shot much, if ever. Right now would be the time to cut the deadwood loose but I’ve decided not to. I considered selling my jm stamped Marlin 1895G to justify buying a higher end bolt gun but I don’t need the money and still really like the Guide Gun even though I stopped carrying it a few years back. The couple others I don’t use aren’t worth much but there’d be no replacing them once they were gone. I think buyers remorse is much easier to get over than seller’s.

Of course the Kid plays into this, and his sister to a lesser degree. He wants them all, she has no idea what’s what other than her guns. I’m a ways off being a grandpa, I hope, but that’s still a consideration as well. Bottom line is it’s not hurting anything for me to hang onto what few extra I have.

The one exception might be my S&W .22 but that would definitely only be as a trade for an upgrade. It’s doubtful I’ll stumble on anything reasonable at this point.

I’m hanging onto ammo for now. I’ve already given away what I didn’t have use of. Thing is I expect I know a few guys who may get caught short handed this fall, if that happens I’ll help out what I’m able.

Comment

JMNSHO dewman,

State of things these days, I'm hanging on to everything I've got.
        The prices those fellows are offering, they're too eager. They're not buying to collect, they've got a "gouge" market somewhere they're bleeding.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          JMNSHO dewman,

State of things these days, I'm hanging on to everything I've got.
          The prices those fellows are offering, they're too eager. They're not buying to collect, they've got a "gouge" market somewhere they're bleeding.
          Got that feeling myself. But dang,$1,000 he's gouging himself. Wish I knew if it's a shooter or not. The store owner himself has resorted to putting no ammo on the shelf, keeps it all locked in a back room. Someone comes in asking when he might get such and such in because he only needs a box then the owner says he shoots that himself and would be willing to sell one of his personal boxes, at cost. For instance, he sells 50ct boxes of either Winchester or Remington 22 for $3.50. Shotgun shells are a $6 a box. Amazing what holding yourself to being a Christian will do for the benefit of others. I bought all his 17hm2 though and he has no 7mm-08.

Comment

I'd make a pretty good wager he's gonna stick a $1500 price tag on your '08 and "ebay" or "gunbroker" the ammo at a 150% markup.

dewman, I have no problem buying and selling, but when I know (or feel like) the "seller/buyer" is a shyster (of sorts), I just can't!
            IT JUST DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT!

A pawn shop I frequent had a shelf FULL of "junker/clunker" rust balls and AR's of every description. At one time, I offered the "gun guy" $1K for the mess of AR's he had that were "shelf fixtures" and had overstayed their welcome.
            My idea was to strip them down and part them out and make a little dinero!
            He wouldn't.
            I didn't.
            Last time I was in the store, there was *one lonely, crappy long gun, NO handguns and the rest of the gun shelves was stripped bare! Even the cheesy air guns were gone!

* - three guys were standing at the counter, salivating over it, making bids!

This is a really "eff'd" up market for guns and ammo.
            Driven, in my opinion, by corrupt politicians and price gouging opportunists out to take advantage of both buyers AND sellers!
            All those guys are doing is artificially driving up prices. At some point, this "boom" will end.
            Either their guns or their money will become worthless.

JMNSHO!

Comment

Hmmm, I sold a rifle and revolver last year but decided to stop getting rid of inventory until the new regulations become reality. The supply of new firearms and ammo could dry up very quickly if manufacturers are held liable for damages when their products are misused. If that happens, prices will triple.

But the crystal ball is very very cloudy. Bans and confiscation of certain high capacity rifles and handguns could make them have no legal value except for whatever the government gives you in the buy-back.

Revolvers and bolt-action rifles could suddenly be the best legal options for self-defense and hunting. My advice is to not sell any of those.... My Mosin-Nagants will eventually be worth something.

As far as ammo - I sold a friend 60 Core-Lokts for his son's rifle. Charged him what I'd paid pre-Covid, which was $20 a box. Now he wants a box of .45-70 325gr Hornady. We agreed on a price of $50.

My hope is that some of the children and grandchildren will take interest in shooting and hunting. If so, they'll get guns and ammo for free.
              Last edited by PigHunter; 03-03-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I would sell it, unless it had some persona significance to me.

Comment

dewman, I have (had?) several buckets (1400 rounds) of the Remington "Golden Bullets".
                  The youngest gave one to a workmates kid for a birthday present.
                  Considering replacing it, I looked it up online.
                  The first ad I found was $79.99+S/H.
                  That was as cheap as I could locate.
                  THEN..... I found this!!!!

https://www.300blackoutclub.com/Remi...-2-_p_180.html

This is the kind of crap that's keeping guns, ammo and components sky high and hard to locate.
                  Make no mistake, some poor schmuck WILL pay that price!

If you don't want to look at the link, it's Remington's "Bucket of Bullets", 1400 rounds of their Golden .22LR ammo priced at $546.98!

Last edited by FirstBubba; 03-05-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    dewman, I have (had?) several buckets (1400 rounds) of the Remington "Golden Bullets".
                    The youngest gave one to a workmates kid for a birthday present.
                    Considering replacing it, I looked it up online.
                    The first ad I found was $79.99+S/H.
                    That was as cheap as I could locate.
                    THEN..... I this!!!!

https://www.300blackoutclub.com/Remi...-2-_p_180.html

I showed that to someone I know who has 12 of them. He just laughed, said no one is that stupid. Haven't sold that guy my 7-08 yet. Turns out he's some bigwig at a hospital. But we are in negotiations to sell all my shotguns except dads A5 20ga. & my 1100lt-20. All pistols except my 2 mk4's, my 29-2,28-2 & my daughters 22 Colt new frontier. All rifles except my 2 7-08's, my 7Rmag, and maybe my '06 I used last year. Letting my '06, 270,30-30,257Rob,300Savage,308,243,6mm,220Swift,22-250,22hornet,22mag,17hmr,380,9mm,&some357mag ammo go as well. Some misc odds and ends, lead sled, bipods,non Leupold scopes etc go too. He seems to be wanting about everything I don't care about.

Comment

I think you’re making a good move dewman. The topic of downsizing has come up regularly the past couple years with most everyone in similar circumstances; more guns than they use and no one that would really appreciate them. If selling is a strong consideration now is the time to do it.

If nothing else it’s an excuse to pick up a couple options of interest down the line without having to justify the purchase.

Comment

dewman, I don't mean to be a grump. I just hate to see good folks taken advantage of. One thing about it, if he's willing to pay, it'll be a buttload of cash for a lifelong desire or a sock stuffer.

fitch270, 2 kids, chance of grandkids slim (kids are 40 and 42 this year, neither married...or want to be!), I'm just hanging on to what I've got. The kids are both gun-a-holics and we've pretty much decided "who gets what". I may still buy, but I won't be doing any selling.
                        After I'm gone? They can do as they wish.

Comment

I wish I had some to sell. Lost all of mine in a tragic canoeing accident....

Comment

Gotten $4,800(cash) so far, might have another $2,000 to go.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                              I wish I had some to sell. Lost all of mine in a tragic canoeing accident....
                              Ditto, same here.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget