Nervous time at the range because of the ammo shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nervous time at the range because of the ammo shortage

It was low 50's today so I took my .22 pistols to the range to line out my reflex sights. Took the old scoremaster too for fun. Maybe 1/2 dozen people there. I'm shooting for about 10 minutes when these 2 guys, I say late 20's or so, walk down and ask me to sell them some 22 shells as they haven't been able to find some in awhile. I declined, politely. They started getting agitated, informed me they weren't going "to be blackmailed" by me into paying outrageous money. I repeated that I wasn't going to sell them, or anyone else, any of my 22. They started in with some cussing and name calling so I packed up and left. As I was climbing into my truck I heard one of them yell at me, "You'd better run". What a day. Stay safe

Discretion is the better part of valor. Hopefully those guys get a ride on the Karma bus soon. Any chance you'll run into them again? Might not be wrong to head back with a couple buddies, especially if you know an LEO who'd go along..

Comment

Fitch: I think they were just venting their frustration. I had 3 different brand 500 rd boxes, though none were even half full, so maybe they thought I was an ammo hoarder. Who knows? Never seen either one of them before. Not a bad idea you have though. Think I'll only go when a couple pals are available to come along. Miss having my own ground to shoot on. Wish I would have grabbed my target so I could have looked it over. Oh well. Is what it is.

Comment

That is concerning. Fortunately, I belong to a private range but there's always the potential of running into a member who's off his rocker. I'm staying well away from public ranges.

Comment

I'm guilty of venting on a regular basis but not on strangers who don't deserve it. Would have sucked to have been them if you were a cop or worse, some nut case hoping for trouble.

You did good walking away. Getting so doing anything alone is risky. Coming out on top of a bad deal still might end up with some explaining to do. Even with cameras everywhere.

Comment

Good point fitch. It’s getting pretty dicey (and easy) to become involved in any ‘conversation’ in today’s world. People quickly take exception to whatever is said. The complications of disputes are not worth even standing up for one’s self anymore. We can thank the liberals for all the BS of a screwed up society. I dread to project my thinking to even 3-4 years in the future !!

Comment

That's crazy dewman.
              I can't imagine being accosted at a shooting range.
              Especially when the accuser knows the accused is armed!
              Good job standing your ground (not selling) and backing away. They must have been liberals! 🤔! LOL!
              Some of us just don't realize how good we have it, being able to use a "backyard range".

Comment

I'm leaving in a few minutes for a solo hunt in the swamp. That boat landing is out of the way and I'll be wearing my .357 mag as I load the canoe in the dark for the ride home. I'll clearly open carry so there's no question that I'm ready to defend myself.

Comment

These guys wore camo jackets and had been shooting. The taller fella I believe had a NRA hat on, maybe. I'm sure they were guys just like us. I don't have a clue what was up with them. Don't really care. Never happened before but like Fitch advises, no more solo trips to the range.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                    by dewman
                    All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                    03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                  • Ammunition vs. components.
                    by Red Angus
                    Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                    03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                  • Deer population
                    by Red Angus
                    Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                    03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                  • Nice find poochie!
                    by FirstBubba
                    The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                    THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                    02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                  • 6.8 Western
                    by jhjimbo
                    Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                    02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X