Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red dot rampage roundup, what did I learn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewman
    replied
    One more thing. I've tricked out my Ruger mk3 to the point I'm 100% satisfied however, one my my brothers pals brought a mk4 bull barrel target, stainless, with a suppressor. I was green with envy. We had the same aftermarket base and the screen on my Nikon spur was much less blue but I'm still pouting a little.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    PH: watermelons around here aren't sold by bushel. A buyer makes an offer on a field and if it's accepted then he hauls out however many melons he wants. They don't all come ripe at once. After so many pickings it's not worth it to him to keep coming back so he leaves the rest to be disc under. Sometimes there are hundreds left. Free for the taking if you know the farmer.
    I don't think a 357 is the answer. My 44 specials are pretty tame, the bones in my hand aren't going to heal fully ever.
    I think red dots on a rifle are the best choice if you are introducing someone new who wears glasses. Kids and women take to them like a duck to water.
    The AR aguys went through all the clay pigeons before any of the rest of us started. Must have been 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of brass.
    I THINK i could hit a deer with a good shot every time at 200 yds with a red dot on my 7Rmag, but targets don't walk and get behind brush or turn at angles so close range (under 100 yds) it is for me.
    I think a 500 snubbie is a poorly thought out concept. You're not missing anything.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Dewman, thanks for posting your after action report.

1) I'm not a fan of Red Dot scopes, perhaps it's because I've used cheap ones.
    2) I'm definitely too cheap to burn through centerfire ammo even though it's fun! Totally understand that look!
    3) This year perhaps I'll eat some of the squirrels. There's no way PigHuntress will touch them so I'll need to cook them myself.
    4) Haven't dove hunted in 20 years but most of my shotguns have wood stocks
    5) Never shot a 50 S&W...
    6) Perhaps .357 mag is the heaviest you should shoot.
    7) Hmmm, wouldn't even have considered putting a red dot on that...
    8) Good to know
    9) Such a waste. Watermelons are better eaten than used as a target ;-)
    10) Hog Control with Tannerite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ss6gCPNs4

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
    #10 - Because it is. It comes in 1/4 pound units and by law must be used that way as a target signal. Other uses come under the heading "Hold my beer and watch this. " Weeds out the dumb ones.

If you saw somebody loading a gallon of the stuff and didn't say something, well I guess you got your first taste of it. People with experience with Tannerite know what it does. Now you know the dumb ones are. Leave them be to there own stupidity.
    The fellas who brought it only loaded a couple of 20oz bottles because of cost but HOLY Mackeral!

Leave a comment:

• franchi20
    replied
    #10 - Because it is. It comes in 1/4 pound units and by law must be used that way as a target signal. Other uses come under the heading "Hold my beer and watch this. " Weeds out the dumb ones.

If you saw somebody loading a gallon of the stuff and didn't say something, well I guess you got your first taste of it. People with experience with Tannerite know what it does. Now you know the dumb ones are. Leave them be to there own stupidity.
    Last edited by franchi20; 08-26-2019, 05:54 PM. Reason: Had to add more.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    started a topic Red dot rampage roundup, what did I learn.

Red dot rampage roundup, what did I learn.

targets were water filled last ic containers of every size, a washer & dryer, 2 fridges, a chest type freezer(which still worked), cucumbers, apples, corn ears, watermelons, and 12" shoot n' sees. Over 20 shooters. Takeaways, to be added to as I remember them.
    1.3 red dots puked. The dots disappeared never to return. 2 were the same brand and model. As people on here are VERY defensive of their gear no brands will be spoken. Suffice to say, you get what you pay for.
    2. If someone has an AR with a 30 round clip, they will shoot all 30 at one turn. There facial expressions trouble me.
    3. I am the ONLY person who still hunts and eats squirrels. Others gun them down as most would a blackbird or snake.
    4. The ones among us who still dove hunt still use walnut/wood shotguns, but everything else is black plastic/matte. In fact only 3 of us hunt deer with wood stocked rifles.
    5. A 50 S&W snubbie is not very impressive if the target can't utilize the energy delivered. Shooting appliances didn't impress much.
    6. My hand is bad enough that 44 specials in my model 29-2 are more than it can take.
    7. My BAR 7mag is too heavy and barrel heat up too quick to make a red dot practical on it.
    8. If you like the sun low on your back a reflex will be harder to use than a tubed red dot, if you are in shade/low light then reverse that opinion.
    9. No watermelon can take on a 12 ga slug.
    10. Why is tannerite legal? It is way more destructive than people let on. A gallon or even a 5 gallon jug of that around propane or gasoline, or even set in a crowd and with one shot - carnage. If they outlaw AR's or limit shell capacity I think I know where the next evil idea will come from.
    If any of you have any questions ask away.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget