Musings from the range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musings from the range

This past week a couple of us guys went to the range. Ran into others we new so our group grew to 7. Some thoughts.
    My 270 shot pretty well both 130's & 150's under 2". 130's hit same height but 2" or so to the right. My messed up hand and shoulder continue to be an issue. Altamont had these Ruger 60th anniversary grips on sale for $20 so I swapped out my fingergrooved Hogues for them giving up better control for aesthetics. The Nikon tactical spur is an answered prayer. Man, I love it. Two of the fellas were shooting new Ruger scouts BUT noticed right away no forward mounted scout scope. Hmmmm. Winchesters new 350 round and Rugers 450 bushmaster carbine brought about discussion as it is listed after by the scout guys. So, again, I say blue faced. Why can't anybody chamber a 16" barreled bolt gun in 44 and 357 magnum? Instant versatility with 44 and 38 specials as well as cci's bird shot loads. Should be a no brainer right? I'd buy one myself.
    Last edited by dewman; 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM.

I've got a Handi-Rifle in .357 magnum with threaded barrel but no suppressor for it yet. It shoots accurately enough with both .357 magnum and .38 special.

As for bolt actions, how about 18.5 inch barrels? Ruger produces those.

20190308_060429.jpg

20190308_060411.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I've got a Handi-Rifle in .357 magnum with threaded barrel but no suppressor for it yet. It shoots accurately enough with both .357 magnum and .38 special.

As for bolt actions, how about 18.5 inch barrels? Ruger produces those.

20190308_060429.jpg

20190308_060411.jpg
      Yes but look at the prices. Why only high $ guns? How about putting them in their American line for half the price? Or a Savage axis or Mossberg patriot? It can't be that hard.
      Last edited by dewman; 03-08-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Yes but look at the prices. Why only high $ guns? How about putting them in their American line for half the price? Or a Savage axis or Mossberg patriot? It can't be that hard.
        Just a WAG but more chambers of already entry low priced rifles would take away from the size of production runs of the other calibers. Cut the size of the runs and the costs go straight up. Just my guess. Additional chambers for high volume rifles is no problem as the incremental effect is very small.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Just a WAG but more chambers of already entry low priced rifles would take away from the size of production runs of the other calibers. Cut the size of the runs and the costs go straight up. Just my guess. Additional chambers for high volume rifles is no problem as the incremental effect is very small.
          I believe you are probably right, it certainly makes financial sense. I would just like to have a threaded barrel 44mag repeater (rifle) that wouldn't make me swoon if I scratched it up some. Guess I won't be seeing a threaded barreled 257 Weatherby in a Ruger American any time soon either huh?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget