Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resurrecting a recalled Howa 1500(or Weatherby Vanguard, S&W 1500, Mossberg)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrecting a recalled Howa 1500(or Weatherby Vanguard, S&W 1500, Mossberg)

After sitting in my safe for years I came across an old Howa 1500 that I had bought for peanuts when the original owner didn't want to mess with the bolt recall. Put it in a Weatherby Vanguard stock I had laying around as it fits me better. Used it for years as a loaner then got nervous and put it away. Called the 800 number a couple weeks ago, they sent me a prepaid shipping box and less then 2 weeks later, done and returned. Put a new leupold vx2 on it and first chance I get I'll take the old 270 to the range and see what it can do. Any of you ever deal with recalls or just sending something in when it was defective?

Never have with guns, but have had good luck with other things. Wishing you good luck with your venture !

Comment

I've been fortunate and haven't had to deal with a firearm recall

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
        I've been fortunate and haven't had to deal with a firearm recall
        What about other stuff- scope, knife etc- that you paid enough for that when it crapped out you got mad enough to send it back? Or, not even mad, you just thought it should of done better so you took the time to send it in and felt the company should make it right? Ever know anyone who should have but they were too lazy because it was easier to forever bad mouth a product then to give the maker a chance to make good?

Comment

I sent a Benchmade folder back because a screw had worked loose and was lost. They were excellent, returning a completely repaired, cleaned, and sharpened knife.

My two Ford Fusions have had recalls but my local dealer has been good about taking care of them.

Comment

A long time ago a coworker gave me a badly beat up Uncle Henry knife he didnt want anymore. I sent it to Schrade on the off chance they'd fix it. A week or so later I received a letter saying the damage was due to abuse but for $10 they would repair it. I think with shipping I have about $12 into it.
            I also sent back a Leatherman I'd broke a jaw off of, that came back quick.

The 700 trigger fiasco messed with my head a bit, I ended up putting a Timney in my .270 so I wouldn't have to give it anymore thought. I figured it was a reasonable upgrade as well.

Comment

Several times I've either purchased cheap or been given items that simply needed the proper attention to return to "good as new".
              The first was a Marlin 39A. He couldn't get it to work, the lever was "locked" open.
              Five minutes to disassemble, check for broken/bent/ missing parts, then reassemble "correctly" and I had a killer .22.
              When the wife and I started life together in 1979, we needed a washing machine. Bought one for $10 out of the local want ads. It wouldn't drain.
              A little disassembly, remove the little boys tighty whities from the drain and we used that old Kenmore for 5 years. We gave it to her brother. He and his wife finally gave it to a goodwill type affair to get rid of it.

Most recent was a Win M12 16 ga.
              Very sad looking, it was sitting on a pawn shop shelf.
              Black electrical tape held the magazine tube in place.
              Eighty bucks worth of parts and I have a very nice old M12 for less than $200!

Deals are out there, you just gotta find 'em!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget