300 Win Mag vs 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Win Mag vs 30-06

Looking to see which of these calibers would be best suited for deer/moose/elk hunts. Average shot distance would be between 100 - 250 yards. Would like to be able to shoot to 500 yards as well. Or what caliber would be best suited for these requirements

You are lucky, there are several calibers that can do what you want IF you are up to it. In no particular order:
    .300win, 338win, 300WbyMag, 340WbyMag, 7mmSTW. If you reduce the Elk and Moose to 250yd limit there are another bunch of calibers that would work.

Comment

Schateau Sir, I think your fishing and you have never fired a 30-06 or 300Win mag with felt recoil to the shooter never mind a 338,340Wby mag, 7mm/mag,300WbyMag.

The 30/06 has killed almost every type of game on the planet as the 300Winmag has all good to 300Yd.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        Schateau Sir, I think your fishing and you have never fired a 30-06 or 300Win mag with felt recoil to the shooter never mind a 338,340Wby mag, 7mm/mag,300WbyMag.

The 30/06 has killed almost every type of game on the planet as the 300Winmag has all good to 300Yd.
        Why did you have to put in the first sentence ?

Comment

Because i believe it's true. and i'll bet he or she is 16 or less.

Comment

You have absolutely no reason to think that. What if he is not and you drive him away ? And, so what if he is 16. Didn't you have any questions when you were 16 ? I know I did, come to think about it, I still do have questions from time to time.

Comment

jimbo..Sir There are ways to ask a question, And ways not to ask a question to lead people on, with info.you don't have!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                You are lucky, there are several calibers that can do what you want IF you are up to it. In no particular order:
                .300win, 338win, 300WbyMag, 340WbyMag, 7mmSTW. If you reduce the Elk and Moose to 250yd limit there are another bunch of calibers that would work.
                Thanks JHJIMBO, I appreciate the answer. Which other calibers would be good for a 250 yard cap?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  30-06, 7mmMag, 6.5 creedmore, .308, 6.5X55Sweed, .35Whelen, .280Rem, and many more.

Comment

Re-read my answer above.

I don't understand what you are trying to say above. 'lead people on' so what. This is an outdoor site, not a court room.

Comment

So I respect you not trying to push your limits. The thing is, the range on both of those calibers is well past 250yd. In fact, ballistically it doesn't do you any good over a shorter length cartridge such as the .308win if you don't push the .30-06 past 300yds.

Moose and Elk are big tough critters but at 250yds there are many calibers that are appropriate for giving them a humane end. I like the .300win mag as a North American Utility rifle, and if you can handle it, go for it. It will certainly do the job and then some out to 250yds. A .30-06 will be almost as powerful and the animals will be just as dead. If you can handle something bigger and faster go for it. If you want something a little more manageable, I suggest .280Rem

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget