Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does caliber / cartridge determine what a barrel length should be ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does caliber / cartridge determine what a barrel length should be ?

Some are short, some are long. Does caliber guide barrel length ? Yes, size does matter.

I'm no expert, but from what I've read and understand, yes.
    NOW, does each caliber have a distinctive barrel length to achieve optimal performance?
    I dunno?
    As I understand it, the 6.8mm Rem SPC II is designed around a 16" barrel. Anything longer showed no significant, worthwhile gain.

Comment

More than the caliber or cartridge is the load. So something like an AR / M16 is optimized to a cartridge because the military is likely only going to ever use 1 cartridge type for the vast majority of guys.

It's been a while since I've thought about it, but you can optimize the barrel length for optimal speed, optimal efficiency, weight, or probably other factors, or try a combination of factors. However, it's going to make a difference depending upon how fast your powder is burning, how much powder you used, and the projectile you're pushing.

Bubba used the 6.8spc as an example, and it's a good one because it's designed for barrels between 12" and 20" what's interesting is on average there's only something like 50fps gain between 16" (standard length) and 18", but then you have an extra 2" of steel hanging out there and the weight etc.

In my last picture, you'll see that there are local maxima and minima that the kid for USF with his Mosin, didn't pick up. Even with 2in increments he wasn't able to pick up some of the nuances involved and his data trended linearly. So yeah, you might what to run calculations for where the bullet's max velocity should be with powder load, or the point where it's increasing velocity at a decreasing rate, vs increasing velocity at an increasing rate. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        NOW, does each caliber have a distinctive barrel length to achieve optimal performance?
        I dunno?
        As I understand it, the 6.8mm Rem SPC II is designed around a 16" barrel. Anything longer showed no significant, worthwhile gain.
        You got it. BTW, have you seen this??
        https://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/acr-enhanced/acr-16-68-spc-ii-carbine

I kind of really want one now. I was thinking of buying a SCAR or trade in my mini on a M1A, but now... there might just be hope for our cartridge yet!!

Comment

I dunno?
          Bucky, very interesting! Except for that MSRP! LOL!

Something I've noticed:
          I don't go to Academy very often, but when I do, I ALWAYS check for 6.8mm ammo.
          There is always 110, 115 or 120 bullet weight ammo.
          The Federal Fusion 90gr slot is eternally empty.
          Any ammo in 100 grain is eternally empty! LOL!
          Sadly, I'm also having trouble locating bullets in the 90 to 100 grain range for reloading.
          I really think the round will really shine with those bullet weights.

Comment

I dunno?
            p.s. - I never find 6.8 ammo at Wal-Mart.

Comment

I dunno?
              You should read the story of how and why the 6.5CM was developed. This is the only cartridge that I know of that was designed from the intended purpose and back engineered to include the rifle and everything else regarding shooting the cartridge at 1,000yd targets. I think this is why you only find one bullet weight for the cartridge as the cartridge, load, etc was designed around the bullet.

Comment

I dunno?
                Hey Jimbo, I don't know if it's the only cartridge. It was definitely the best survivor of a small generation of cartridges that intended to what other cartridges were already doing only "better" or more efficiently etc. Remember the 6.5CM is the direct offspring of the .30T/C which was meant to "do what a .308 does" but more efficiently or less recoil. It wasn't a commercial success. There were others like that too .338MX (meant to do what a .30-06 does but out of a lever action) and .308MX though that might have just been Remington messing up. Seems like there is at least 1 other honorable mention in there maybe .375CheyTac, .408CheyTac, .416Barrett. Plus don't all of the Nosler rifles and rounds act as custom fits with the ammo optimized for their rifles?

Comment

I dunno?
                  Yeah Bubba, I have to say, Rem really messed up with not getting the 6.8spc right or not taking time from the get go. They could have been making money hand over fist for 16yrs now. The average length of enemy engagement hasn't changed, but body armor has improved so you have to hit them harder, and if you don't want guys lugging around .308ammo this is a great middle of the road round. I think for an optimization issue the answer lies closer to 7mm than it does to 6.5mm but that's JMHO. So you have to think what's the military going to do, use ball / FMJ ammo, use probably the highest safe powder load they can, change out barrels as they wear out.

Comment

I dunno?
                    Buckeroo, I can't remember the complete story but it started when some or a long distance shooter got with a Hornady mfg. rep or engineer and started with the design of the bullet specifications and design to compete at 1,000 yds and they worked backward from there. Using nothing currently in existence.

Comment

I dunno?
                      Just read about the 6.5PRC. (August, American Hunter) It is 260fps faster than the 140gr 6.5CM. Will shoot through a short action rifle with a fat bolt face. 140gr goes 3,000 and has a .625BC so it is really still going at long range. Shoot canyon to canyon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Railroad train puzzle.
                        by 99explorer
                        An electric train is traveling east at 40 miles an hour, and it has a tailwind blowing from the west at 40 miles per hour.
                        In what direction would...
                        Today, 09:03 PM
                      • Hotel guest.
                        by 99explorer
                        A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                        She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                        The...
                        Today, 08:41 PM
                      • Plane crash.
                        by 99explorer
                        A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                        Where do they bury the survivors?
                        Today, 03:16 PM
                      • Animals on the ark.
                        by 99explorer
                        How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                        Today, 02:08 PM
                      • The college student puzzle..
                        by 99explorer
                        A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                        The first station is a mile from home,...
                        Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X