Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Care to venture a Guns & Ammo Prediction? What do you think will be the next big thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
    I,m about to show my ignorance regarding the 6.5 Creedmore, which I have never shot or even handled, but if the Army claims improved performance and with low recoil then it has attained success as a weapon that military targets fear. However I am more concerned with how this caliber performs on live game. Felt recoil is only a concern if many rounds are fired ,which seldom happens in a hunting situation with game harvest limits. I don,t want to disable a game animal that I shoot at, I want it to die quickly. How does the Creedmore perform in these instances.? Is there a wide selection of types of bullet design for this caliber? How common or available can ammo be found ? I,m not saying I wouldn't, own one , I,m all for a better mouse trap, and the accuracy described sounds like fun . The bottom line Is it worth the investment while owning weapons that are already capable in the field...?
    6P, those are great questions / points. I have a limited experience so far with the 6.5 CM and will try to answer.

Much has been written about the cartridge. I'm not a fan of David Petzel over at F&S but the guy does know about rifles. He recently wrote a glowing article about the 6.5CM that will give you some background on the cartridge.
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/6-5-creedmoor-best-factory-rifle-cartridg...

The cartridge's ballistic twins are the 6.5x55 Swede and the .260 Remington. A 2015 Shooting times article referred to the 6.5x55 "In Sweden and Norway, it is immensely popular for reindeer and moose, in Africa for plains game and stateside it has accounted for countless deer- and elk-sized critters. Not many would take it to a prairie dog town or use it on large bears, but for most everything in between, it does just fine."

There's just something about those 6.5mm projectiles. They can have high ballistic coefficients and sectional density as compared to their 30 caliber counterparts. That translates to flatter trajectories and deeper penetration.

Performance on game for the three 6.5's mentioned is unquestioned. I once met a Finnish hunter who regularly used the 6.5x55 on Moose and Reindeer. I've only used my 6.5 CM on one pig and the performance was great. But I've got to say my .308 would have done just as well at that short distance.

The .260 Remington is essentially .308 Winchester case necked down to take a 6.5mm bullet. The 6.5 CM is a 30TC case necked down, The significant difference between the two is the longer case neck of the Creedmoor which helps with the longer, heavier bullets. Both can fit in a short action but the 6.5x55 requires a long action.
    Ammo for the 6.5 CM is readily available so no worries there.

In conclusion, the 6.5 CM is good, but if you don't shoot long distances there's no reason to trade in your old favorite deer rifle for one. I bought one on impulse because I wanted to have a threaded barrel Ruger American. The gun shop was out of .308 Winchester models and were having a sale on the 6.5 CM. So far I'm extremely pleased with the accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
      My suggestion disappeared. Here it is. a 6mmX30-30 that would cycle in the Winchester mod '94 and others. This would breath new life in the mod '94 and be a great varmint shooter.
      hmm interesting so like the wby 6.5-300 but without burning thru barrels like crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
        The next big thing will undoubtedly be ultra short range, light for caliber shooting. The main cartridge will be the 462 Petzalschuetzen, and will propel a 105 grain pill (ballistic coefficient 0.023) around the magic 2000 fps. Accurate rifles will be described in SOA (seconds of angle) and targets will need to be replaced with every shot, as every group is a one-hole group.

Riflescopes will be replaced with Macroscopes, with a negative magnification. Old schoolers will prefer fixed negative 4 scopes, but the newer shooters will use the old 9x3’s and 16 x 4.5’s more often.

“I like the top-of-the-line Newtasco scopes, “ drawls one of the new breed, identifying himself only as “Grandson of Fitch270,” presumably his Field and Stream moniker. “Yeah-Bob, they cost a little more than the “Made in NewAsia” (previously Austria—ed.) crap Swarovskis, but I’d rather shell out a couple extra Hillary-credits and get the good stuff. Plus, the Newtasco’s have the side mounted Brownian Motion adjustment. I can really reach out close with that.”

Paper punchers set up at around 18 inches from their targets, although advances and wildcatting allow some to stretch that to 12 inches and less. A republic of Mexico military sniper records a confirmed kill at 4.6 inches. “Dude smelled nice,” he was reported as saying after the feat.

Sportsmen, however, stress how important getting to within 3 feet is, as anything over that isn’t ethical.

“I’m a hunter,” one says. “I find that it takes a lot of skill if I get close enough that the animal actually has to scoot over a little bit, so we don’t bump into each other. People say we’re not hunters taking shots that close. Hey, even with a normal 56x scope and attached ballistic adjustment computer, a 1800 yard shot isn’t a gimme either.”

“Horsecrap,” interjects one of the old-school hunters. “When you’re that close, the animal KNOWS YOU ARE THERE! If it wanted to, it could even run off. That kind of crap ain’t ethics, it’s madness.”

Firearms manufacturer Ruger, Sturm and Feinstein leads the pack in rifle manufacturers, with it’s “Squint” rifle, sporting a 1.3” bull barrel, available in all current hot calibers, as well as the proprietary 463 Ruger, which maintains all the current ballistics of the Petzalschuetzen-class cartridges, but in a longer action and burning more powder, which the company claims is an aid to accuracy. Recoil is also enhanced, which keeps the shooter fresher, longer.

The rifles come in two camo finishes, “Urban Decay” and “Political Upheaval,” which are sure to melt into the surroundings. Retail for the rifles starts at 42 trillion Hillary-credits, which will seem to be an amazing bargain for a made in the Country Formerly Known as America rifle.
        LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
          I,m about to show my ignorance regarding the 6.5 Creedmore, which I have never shot or even handled, but if the Army claims improved performance and with low recoil then it has attained success as a weapon that military targets fear. However I am more concerned with how this caliber performs on live game. Felt recoil is only a concern if many rounds are fired ,which seldom happens in a hunting situation with game harvest limits. I don,t want to disable a game animal that I shoot at, I want it to die quickly. How does the Creedmore perform in these instances.? Is there a wide selection of types of bullet design for this caliber? How common or available can ammo be found ? I,m not saying I wouldn't, own one , I,m all for a better mouse trap, and the accuracy described sounds like fun . The bottom line Is it worth the investment while owning weapons that are already capable in the field...?
          Ty Sir for your prompt and direct reply to my inquiries they proved adequate and informative as to the effectiveness of the Creedmore on game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
            by 99explorer
            The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
            Now the twins are adults...
            Yesterday, 04:27 PM
          • Sisters.
            by 99explorer
            Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
            How...
            Yesterday, 09:32 AM
          • Rice for sale.
            by 99explorer
            A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
            He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
            He soon becomes...
            08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
          • Strangers meet.
            by 99explorer
            A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
            They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
            No identification markers...
            08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
          • OU football
            by FirstBubba
            Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
            The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
            08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X