Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your friend contacted you and asked you to hold all his firearms at your house, would you do it? Is this unlawful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your friend contacted you and asked you to hold all his firearms at your house, would you do it? Is this unlawful?

My friend Bob is worried about his firearms. His wife has a major drinking problem. He comes from work and finds their house left unlocked. His wife has refused to get help and she is careless around the house. He came home and found his wife passed out on the couch and one of the burners on the range was still lite.
    He also said her drinking has caused many arguments. One major blowup she said I will tell the police you threatened me with one of your guns.
    That the straw that broke the camel's back, now he wants his guns out of his house. Any opinions or suggestions.

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Comment

First, IMHO, he should run, not walk, away from the alcoholic wife who's threatening to lie to make him a felon. I'd get legal advice but consider documenting that to the local PD BUT FIRST GET REAL LEGAL ADVICE.

The guns. Every state's laws are different. It's not uncommon in mine for a friend to take possession of all of a guys' long guns for a variety of legal reasons (mental health concerns of another family member, criminal record of a guys family member, divorce on the horizon and not wanting them to be in house when assets get totaled). There's not a legal problem on that here (though that third reason might be a bit shaky from a civil standpoint). We do keep state records of handgun ownership, but transferring them back and forth will cost you a few bucks, but still not a legal problem.
      You're in NJ though. I don't think you can do that, but I might be wrong.
      I thought it was a thing in NJ, since ownership and carry are more onerous, for clubs and ranges to have lockers/safes to hold members guns. He should look into that, and quickly.
      Though personally if they're not at my house, what do I have them for... not to mention if my wife is threatening to have me locked up out of spite... what am I doing in all aspects of life?

Adding to that, you should all move to a state that treats you more as citizens than serfs.

Comment

Keep this in mind Mr. G. If she goes off the deep end again and does tell the cops he pulled a gun on her, when they ask him "Where are the guns?" YOUR NAME gets pulled into the mess as well as any future messes. Something happens to her or him and guaranteed the law is coming to see YOU. And not in a nice way. Conspiracy, facilitating, aiding and abetting. You get the idea. I keep guns of others all the time for lots of reasons but they are domestic incident waiting to happen and your state, well, has a reputation as gun unfriendly for a reason. She chose drinking over him, I second the divorce.

Comment

Gary, it would be easier for me since I live in Alabama. I would store my friend's firearms as long as they were legal for me to have in possession. There is no way I would store an illegal firearm or device for a friend.

Since you live in New Jersey, you would need to abide by NJ Title 2C:39 which is more constricting than similar legislation in other States.

Would he provide a safe and do you have enough room?

Comment

Laws vary state to state. You'd have to decide whether holding onto his guns is going to interject you into the situation.

The bible says in Sickness and in Health, and I believe that alcoholism is a sickness, but until she admits she has a problem, and acts like she wants to change she's toxic, and for his own sake he has to set some hard lines as to what he's willing to put up with for his own mental well being.

Making false claims about his guns is a good way to get them confiscated under "red flag" laws meant to protect people. That is why I was largely against the way they were implemented in many states. There wasn't good due process to protect against situations like the one you described

As a legal CYA, you want to check on what the lending / transfer laws are in NJ. Washington state's private background check system has been a mess, but you never want to give overzealous liberals an opening.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              D-I-V-O-R-C-E
              YEP!

Comment

If a friend wont, most Gun shops will, I've held firearms for friends getting a D-I-V-O-R-C-E.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                  Laws vary state to state. You'd have to decide whether holding onto his guns is going to interject you into the situation.

The bible says in Sickness and in Health, and I believe that alcoholism is a sickness, but until she admits she has a problem, and acts like she wants to change she's toxic, and for his own sake he has to set some hard lines as to what he's willing to put up with for his own mental well being.

Making false claims about his guns is a good way to get them confiscated under "red flag" laws meant to protect people. That is why I was largely against the way they were implemented in many states. There wasn't good due process to protect against situations like the one you described

As a legal CYA, you want to check on what the lending / transfer laws are in NJ. Washington state's private background check system has been a mess, but you never want to give overzealous liberals an opening.
                  Buckshot, what do convicted felons do with their guns? Turn them over to the authority's? Or give them to a family member or a good friend to store, until their crime is expunged by a Judge.
                  Good point about the Bible. ??

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    Keep this in mind Mr. G. If she goes off the deep end again and does tell the cops he pulled a gun on her, when they ask him "Where are the guns?" YOUR NAME gets pulled into the mess as well as any future messes. Something happens to her or him and guaranteed the law is coming to see YOU. And not in a nice way. Conspiracy, facilitating, aiding and abetting. You get the idea. I keep guns of others all the time for lots of reasons but they are domestic incident waiting to happen and your state, well, has a reputation as gun unfriendly for a reason. She chose drinking over him, I second the divorce.
                    If the guns are given to a friend for safekeeping, the wife does not have to be told about it.

Comment

Not knowing NJ law, I would probably take them. Maybe recommend he get a safe deposit box, in his name, for the hand guns. Contact local AA and see what they recommend for her disease. If she wants help there are things like antabuse that is available plus AA support groups.

Comment

In this type of situation I would help him out and take them. You never know when he could come home and her standing there with one loaded aiming at him or her. Alcohol is a drug and should be illegal like every drug out there. Also tell him to get the heck away from her.

Comment

I would keep the guns without a second thought, as long as it was legal. I strongly advise him to make a couple of Al Anon meetings---in case you don't know, this organization is for those whose loved one is caught in alcoholism and will give support and will help with critical decisions. And see a lawyer. He may not be able to help her, but he can help himself.

As a recovering alcoholic with 30 years of sobriety and thousands of AA meetings under my belt, I can assure you that the wife will not get help until SHE is ready to recover (excepting court orders, etc.). Some (if not many) choose to follow the path of alcoholism to the gates of insanity or death, to paraphrase the Big Book of AA. It is a terrible disease without many happy endings, and getting the firearms out of her reach will remove the possibility of a fatality or other issue.

Comment

99EXPLORER: if there is an incident the husband will surely say, "there aren't any guns here. " I guarantee you the cops will ask, "Do you own any? Where are they?" We live in a "Me Too" time where every woman's allegation of being victimized is as good as a
                            conviction . Politically correct New Jersey would be a bad place to be the him in a him vs. her situation. Mr. G is at risk here.

Comment

The police can ask anything they wish, it doesn't mean he has to answer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                              • Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X