Hypothetical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical

Suppose your home and family are being threatened by an armed group of 5 thugs at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Would you rather have :
    a high capacity handgun with 3 loaded magazines
    a bolt action rifle
    a semi-auto shotgun
    a ruger mini-14 with 2 10rd magazines
    a baseball bat
    a Apple iPhone
    your grandmothers cast iron fry pan
    nothing, you are an excellent negotiator

Comment

Easy. I keep a 12 gauge with 20-inch barrel under the edge of the bed, loaded with 8 rounds of buck. That should do the job.

Edit: It has occurred to me that a suppressor equipped AR in 300 BLK would also perform well. Supersonic loads would probably penetrate most ballistic vests.

Comment

So many deciding factors. Are they in the house already or trying to break in? Acting aggressively or just trying to steal some shiny stuff? What are they armed with? What’s the layout of my house? Do they know that I know they’re there?

Normally I would prefer a shotgun for a home invasion, assuming 3 or less attackers that aren’t looking for much confrontation. Living in a duplex here, I need to be very careful so as to try to avoid shooting through the wall separating us from the neighbors. That’s lead me to keeping my 38spl beside the bed rather than a 12ga with 00. But 5 attackers would definitely change things. I keep the plugs in my shotguns year round usually, and even if I had the full 5 or 6 rounds I’d be a little leery. I’d probably choose the pistol or the Mini-14 depending on the exact scenario unfolding.

Comment

For me depends on time I have and what's really happening.
          If I woke up prior to entry and had as much as 3 seconds, I'd go for what would pass for the min-14 in this scenario.. but it would be better and have 30 round mags .

If I woke up to folks in house and barking dog, the hi-cap handgun is.. handier.

Comment

The answer is either 2, 8 or 15. I was never good at story problems.

Comment

Are the other firearms loaded?
              What caliber is the handgun & what action?
              What is the OAL of the shotgun & what gauge?

Comment

The handgun would be easy to keep close to hand, but what defines a "high capacity" handgun?
                Bolt action rifle? Absolutely not.
                Semi auto shotgun? If loaded with the appropriate loads, yes.
                I agree with jcarlin in regards to the mini.
                Only a fool would bring a bat or skillet to a gunfight.
                The iPhone should be IN ADDITION TO your firearm of choice, not instead of. It will quite likely be a race to the police after a shooting and having a phone on/near you gives you a better chance of getting them called first.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                  The handgun would be easy to keep close to hand, but what defines a "high capacity" handgun?
                  The iPhone should be IN ADDITION TO your firearm of choice, not instead of. It will quite likely be a race to the police after a shooting and having a phone on/near you gives you a better chance of getting them called first.
                  Good point, sometimes the thugs claim to be the victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                    What ever you want them to be

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                      So many deciding factors. Are they in the house already or trying to break in? Acting aggressively or just trying to steal some shiny stuff? What are they armed with? What’s the layout of my house? Do they know that I know they’re there?

Normally I would prefer a shotgun for a home invasion, assuming 3 or less attackers that aren’t looking for much confrontation. Living in a duplex here, I need to be very careful so as to try to avoid shooting through the wall separating us from the neighbors. That’s lead me to keeping my 38spl beside the bed rather than a 12ga with 00. But 5 attackers would definitely change things. I keep the plugs in my shotguns year round usually, and even if I had the full 5 or 6 rounds I’d be a little leery. I’d probably choose the pistol or the Mini-14 depending on the exact scenario unfolding.
                      You don't know the answers to any of your questions. It is 3AM, you just woke up and you have probably had a couple drinks. You are flying blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                        just for the record, if you own firearms who's purpose is self defense, they should be stored loaded... and ALL magazines you have for those weapons should be loaded.
                        Now I have guns that are purely for hunting or practice that could be pressed into use in a hard to imagine pinch, they get stored empty and open if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                          Well.. yeah, and that people who engage in gunfights have a tendency to get shot and have trouble making it to the house phone.

Comment

Something to think on to anyone who's putting serious thought into actually having things ready as opposed to "what would I like to have ready?"
                            Some of the things that are typically on my person in my waking hours at home go on my nightstand at night. A pistol a light and my phone qualify for the above.
                            Something to think on, hanging on the headboard (but between the bed and the wall) is a small satchel (5.11 2 banger) that has another light, trauma kit, spare Glock and AR mag. (The rifle is locked up all day, but gets unlocked and the cabinet is 3 steps away when I'm in home in bed).
                            -edit, the satchel is partly a nod to not really having time to dress and belt up.

I've heard the "It's a fight with what you have on you event" phrase and many paraphrased statements attributed to several people. But it's the truth. I don't live a lifestyle that makes my house all that inviting, neither illegal activity, cash business, or just overt wealth. So any time someone decides to bust in to my place it'd be a shock and a surprise. You see, however, my sleeping family is in it, which makes the stakes as large as anyone else's. If you have equipment you'd want in a fight. It should be in a condition so you can grab it and fight. I doubt anyone here is going looking for trouble and is picking the time and place. We're civilian defenders.. we rarely pick the ground and time.
                            That necessary equipment includes the phone and the reasonable ability to temporarily patch holes in self and others.

Comment

Got in late on this one, but, like Pighunter, I keep a 18¾" Browning auto 12 gauge close by my bedside. Three rounds of #4 Buck followed by two rounds of 00 should dampen the enthusiasm of any but the most determined of home invaders. I also have five more rounds on the stock. and a cell phone on the bedside table. (No I-phone.)
                              Just for grins and giggles, I take my little short barreled shotgun to the range, and empty the loads downrange every so often, just to check for function, and replace with fresh loads. Don't know what is considered a high capacity handgun, but I have nine rounds of .45 ACP in my 1911, and two more eight round magazines right next to that short barreled Browning, just for a back-up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X