Layne Sympson reviews the Springfield 911 .380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layne Sympson reviews the Springfield 911 .380

Lane has 2 failures in the first 20 rounds and calls the gun terrific.

Layne had a FTE and a second failure for the bolt to go in battery in the first 20 rounds of his review. He calls these failures 'babbles', yea maybe if you had them with that gun when you needed it would be said you were killed by a 'babble'
    I fired my new Remington R-51 about 100 times right out of the box and have never had a failure.
    What a review Layne.

Comment

Was the Springfield 911 totally recalled because it was dangerous crap? Reworked and reintroduced? No that was your Remington R51. I'd be a little slower chucking stones.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Was the Springfield 911 totally recalled because it was dangerous crap? Reworked and reintroduced? No that was your Remington R51. I'd be a little slower chucking stones.
        You think it is O.K. for Layne to mislead his readers about a gun test and give it a erroneous grade ? At least Remington fixed their issues, Lane is calling the Springfield issues 'babbles', must be some kind of new gunsmith term, then giving it what amounts to an 'A' grade. Not really looking after his readers. Hypocrite.

Comment

He didn't mislead anyone if he mentioned the hiccups. He presented all the facts as well as his opinion. His readers, such as you and I are given the credit to make up our own minds. I call that fair enough.

Comment

A 1911 style pistol experienced a fte AND a failure to return to battery in the first 20 rounds??? Clearly a crappy pistol as everyone knows 1911 style pistols have a stellar reputation for flawless performance straight out of the box regardless of ammo quality.
            Springfield is clearly trying to go the way of Remington by releasing such a disastrous ripoff of John Browning's masterpiece.

Comment

Precisely Dewman.

Comment

I'm torn on this because, he is a gun reviewer, and I believe that freshly unboxed guns shouldn't have to be modified by their owners to function properly.

On the other hand, I am a Springfield fan, and I know getting an ultra-compact pistol to function reliably is difficult for lots of reasons. At a high level, a semi-automatic pistol relies on a careful balance between weight, spring pressure, shooter technique, ammunition energy, and timing. With everything smaller and more finicky the pistol is less forgiving for form.

So did he have poor form? Did he get one from the factory that was just a bit more sensitive than the others?
                Other reviews that I've read said people tried bad grips and several types of ammo and couldn't get a failure.

As a reviewer I feel like he has duty to honestly state his review. Even if other reviewers don't have issues, or had very reliable test shoots he should state what honestly happened. It may be that he got one that was just really poor compared to all its brethern, but integrity in reporting he should state what he experienced at the same level of scrutiny as everything else he reviews.

Comment

Oh, so now a 'babble' is a 'hiccup'. All I am saying is he should stop using sugar coated meaningless words in a review and be more pragmatic and call it what it is, a failure. End of story.

Comment

I don't put much stock in grades, or stars, or plus 1's for that matter just the truthful reporting of events as they happened. My end of story.

Comment

Your Right Mr. DEWMAN Remington new the R51 was not tested at all do to Union Problems. But they let fly anyway and FKed-Over the General Public with an unproven POS...Who mite have bean killed with a Non serviceable Pistol. I hope Rem/Big Green Never has a chance to make JUNK Again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                        Your Right Mr. DEWMAN Remington new the R51 was not tested at all do to Union Problems. But they let fly anyway and FKed-Over the General Public with an unproven POS...Who mite have bean killed with a Non serviceable Pistol. I hope Rem/Big Green Never has a chance to make JUNK Again!!
                        Tree, you forgot to mention the Springfield 911 that twice had a 'babble' and a 'hiccup' that could have failed just when someone needed it the most.
                        My only point is Layne should be honest in his review so he does not mislead some non-suspecting buyer who relies on his review and buys a gun that does not work right.
                        The Remington 1st generation has been corrected plus additional benefits added in the 2nd generation and is a perfect functioning firearm. Don't knock something you don't know about.

Comment

Here is Howard at my Club working his R-51. In the Spring I let him shoot mine and he liked it so much he got one. Notice the minimal barrel flip of the R-51. Also, his explanation of sight picture is interesting. He is having magazine questions (which I have not) so he should get some answers from Remington. Howard is a LEO from an area City and he is on our Camp Perry team. His 300yd target for his AR is a little bigger than a playing card that his groups fit on. Howard is meticulous with his data keeping and computer analysis of his shots. Every shot is accounted for when he practices.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4HUNEfr-j0&feature=youtu.be

Comment

jimbo Do Apples to Apples Your R51 vs Ruger EC9s two 9mm Pistols. + the Amount of Sales??

Mr. H R Funk had quite a few FTF, Do to Mag? Problems,Ammo Problems, & Chamber problems. I wish You Luck jimbo.

Comment

Mag issues are simple to fix (I don't have any of them) and Howard is going about it in a very methodical, scientific way which I thought might be interesting to others who have mag issues. I don't think there is a mag fed firearm out there that has not had mag issues at one time or another. When Howard tried my Remington R-51 last spring he said it was the most naturally pointing handgun he has ever shot - like an extension of your finger, hitting where you point.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
                                by 99explorer
                                A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                                She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                                The...
                                Today, 08:41 PM
                              • Plane crash.
                                by 99explorer
                                A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                                Where do they bury the survivors?
                                Today, 03:16 PM
                              • Animals on the ark.
                                by 99explorer
                                How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                                Today, 02:08 PM
                              • The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X