Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are pneumatic shotguns becoming a trend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are pneumatic shotguns becoming a trend?

in 2006 Gamo introduced a .22cal air "shotgun" it fired #9 shot and guys that bought one (~$200) thought it was pretty good. Though not the 1st air shotgun it brought them to the mainstream
    A few years after that the Seneca Wing Shot (~$600) debuts as a take off of their .50cal Big bore hunting airgun. Some people really liked it, enough that in 2017 they released the Wing Shot MKII($800), this model has removable chokes and can fire #6 shot upto 1130 fps. At .50cal, it's just shy of "36 gauge". You can even buy pre-filled "shot shells" for it. You think these are here to stay or it's a trend that will eventually peter out?

It seems to me that they've crossed the threshold of being "toy" or novelty items to being actual sporting devices, but still have kind of a niche market. Do you think you could ever see one of these in your rack?

Comment

A few years ago NY allowed air guns for big game hunting - deer and bear.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        The air gun in question is an adaptation of a .50cal air rifle used for big game hunting.

Comment

Buck, I am not sure if your question is in the affirmative or negative. I am certainly not a expert, or even well versed in air-guns for big game hunting. But what little I do know of them seems to be leaning toward the affirmative side ! If they prove to be powerful enough to provide a humane kill at hunting distances (whatever that might be determined at), what could be the negative argument against them ? Air-guns were in use in Europe over a hundred years ago for big game, and from what I have learned there, they were found to be very effective. I really can not understand why they have not been more used, or at least more developed in this country ! There must be drawbacks to their use, but what are they ? Technology has taken over all other aspects of our hunting world, why have air-guns been missed in this advancement ?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Buck, I am not sure if your question is in the affirmative or negative. I am certainly not a expert, or even well versed in air-guns for big game hunting. But what little I do know of them seems to be leaning toward the affirmative side ! If they prove to be powerful enough to provide a humane kill at hunting distances (whatever that might be determined at), what could be the negative argument against them ? Air-guns were in use in Europe over a hundred years ago for big game, and from what I have learned there, they were found to be very effective. I really can not understand why they have not been more used, or at least more developed in this country ! There must be drawbacks to their use, but what are they ? Technology has taken over all other aspects of our hunting world, why have air-guns been missed in this advancement ?
            I try to frame my questions more objectively than spinning negatively or affirmatively. So thank you, if people can't tell one way or another, I like to think I'm doing a pretty good job. I'm pretty impressed with the technology curve of airguns. They do have some down sides though. The internal tank on the one I posted can only fire 5 times before needing a recharge, so you'd practically have to have an air tank out with you, and you have to load a single shot shell every time, if they can overcome that, heck I might buy one. Was surprisingly loud for an air gun though

For big game hunting I think they're already there. 5 .50cal shots 185gr-336gr going 930fps. I'm sure they can get better, heck I think I might be able to help out their design team, but I think they've crossed the line into serious hunting gear

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              NY had a minimum I think was .45cal. Articles I have read talk about a half dozen manufacturers that make qualifying guns.

Comment

I like the concept and one may be on my rack 20 years from now if I'm still kicking. The price for one should drop as more manufacturers enter the market. Probably innovation will come out of Europe.

Outdoor Life did a review on air guns a couple of years ago and included a shotgun in the list. Link below...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                  I like the concept and one may be on my rack 20 years from now if I'm still kicking. The price for one should drop as more manufacturers enter the market. Probably innovation will come out of Europe.

Outdoor Life did a review on air guns a couple of years ago and included a shotgun in the list. Link below...
                  Thanks PH, yeah the AirVenturi Wingshot is the same gun I mentioned but I think both AirVenturi and Seneca sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Thanks Pighunter for that link. It appears that air-guns are much more in evidence than I ever imagined ! Possibly when interest grows in their use, the high price will come down. But then, with the interest, it could also go the other way.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                      by 99explorer
                      A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                      This final shot does...
                      Today, 09:07 PM
                    • Lost in the woods.
                      by 99explorer
                      You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                      One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                      Two Indians...
                      Today, 01:24 PM
                    • Books on a shelf.
                      by 99explorer
                      There are several books on a bookshelf.
                      If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                      Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                    • Mental arithmetic.
                      by 99explorer
                      A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                      The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                      How much does the ball cost?
                      Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                    • The new king.
                      by 99explorer
                      The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                      Now the twins are adults...
                      08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X