Does anybody have a Ruger Mini-30 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    Like buckshot00, I have a Ruger in 6.8mm.
    To me, the "Mini 30" or the AR in 7.62×39 is simply a semi auto .30-30.
    I liked the 6.8mm well enough, I built an AR 6.8mm.
    The Ruger Ranch isn't a benchrest rifle. Don't expect that kind of accuracy out of it.
    My 6.8mm has never had a "fail to function".
    The biggest reason I went to the AR was because of the difficulty in locating mags more than 5 rounds.
    When hunting with my 6.8, I carry two 10 round mags.
    Three 10 round mags?? Were you waiting for Red Dawn to happen?? Wow Fl, is liberal to a degree but 5 rounds in all hunting rifles,except 22Lr 10 rounds. there is a very hi fine cough on state land.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      Like buckshot00, I have a Ruger in 6.8mm.
      To me, the "Mini 30" or the AR in 7.62×39 is simply a semi auto .30-30.
      I liked the 6.8mm well enough, I built an AR 6.8mm.
      The Ruger Ranch isn't a benchrest rifle. Don't expect that kind of accuracy out of it.
      My 6.8mm has never had a "fail to function".
      The biggest reason I went to the AR was because of the difficulty in locating mags more than 5 rounds.
      When hunting with my 6.8, I carry two 10 round mags.
      If I was in a southern state I would want multiple magazines for shooting hogs. The great thing about the 6.8spc is you can put multiple shots on target no problem. If there was a sounder of hogs, I'm sure I could take quite a few of them. I could definitely see multiple high capacity mags, I'd put a round into as many hogs as I could change mags and finish off the ones I stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        I had one in 556 in 1986-7 it wasen't worth a Sh!t it feed well but groups were 4.5" to 6"with Win Hunting Ammo. I traded it for a Ruger Deer Slayer 44Mag.
        I have a Ruger Mini-14, 5.56/.223 I bought in 1990 and it will shoot a 5 shot group at 100yds that I can just about cover with a quarter. I have had it's target up on this site several times. The scope is a Weaver, I think 1.5X4.
        Tree, I did not know you can't shoot too well.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          I have a ruger ranch in 6.8spc. Feel Free to ask me any follow up questions

It's similar, but neither of these rifles are an M1A. I am happy with this rifle as a "ranch" rifle, but it will never have the precision of my other rifles, and I am okay with that. It took me a while but I came to terms with the idea that I could buy a new precision non-AR or custom build my own S/A with the M1 action less expensively than I could put all of the custom tinkering that I wanted to put into that Ruger.

If you are willing to tinker with it, you can get decent results. For me that is still very much part of the fun. There are a few select specialty gunsmiths out there that can make it a match grade rifle, but you will need to spend a bit of money. It will never be a precision rifle, unless you're willing to spend $1400-$2000 in modification and accurizing.

What I will say is that I don't care for the 7.62X39 round, but if people like it then this rifle is a good alternative to an AR. The Mini-30 is still a good bit light and more maneuverable than most of the Springfield M1A builds. It won't be as finicky as an AR, but it won't be as sloppy and an AK either, especially if you put some TLC into it.

Ruger did start to make the barrels thicker which is good because barrel whip was/is a serious issue for these rifles. One of the things the specialty shops will do is "tune" your rifle. It is worth it.

Ruger still uses a lot of castings, and so sometimes the insides can be pretty rough. With this rifle and this action, I have found it is still getting more precise the more I shoot it. I am several hundred rounds in and I am am least the 3rd owner. (First 2 owners didn't seem to care too much for it. There was still cosmoline inside parts of it when I bought it).
          I've never had a FTF or FTE, in fact if you look back at some of my older pics you can see the ejector is really really throwing brass, and I haven't figured out exactly why yet.

Funny story, the magazine for the Mini-30 with very slight modification, work great for my 6.8. It is crazy fun to empty those big magazines.

So I guess to wrap it all up, they're affordable compact semi-autos that's aren't AR's or AK's, they're lighter and more maneuverable than most M1As from springfield (at about half the price), and you can still enjoy a "classic" rifle look unlike something you might see on an FN SCAR. You will sacrifice some level of precision in choosing this action, but shouldn't be enough to deter you from hunting with it, especially in the range of that cartridge.
          I am going to a gun show this weekend so I will see where the market is for mini-30 and also Ruger 77/17 that I am considering. . I might even consider a older mini-30 which is .311 bore as that is what the ammo is that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            I have a ruger ranch in 6.8spc. Feel Free to ask me any follow up questions

It's similar, but neither of these rifles are an M1A. I am happy with this rifle as a "ranch" rifle, but it will never have the precision of my other rifles, and I am okay with that. It took me a while but I came to terms with the idea that I could buy a new precision non-AR or custom build my own S/A with the M1 action less expensively than I could put all of the custom tinkering that I wanted to put into that Ruger.

If you are willing to tinker with it, you can get decent results. For me that is still very much part of the fun. There are a few select specialty gunsmiths out there that can make it a match grade rifle, but you will need to spend a bit of money. It will never be a precision rifle, unless you're willing to spend $1400-$2000 in modification and accurizing.

What I will say is that I don't care for the 7.62X39 round, but if people like it then this rifle is a good alternative to an AR. The Mini-30 is still a good bit light and more maneuverable than most of the Springfield M1A builds. It won't be as finicky as an AR, but it won't be as sloppy and an AK either, especially if you put some TLC into it.

Ruger did start to make the barrels thicker which is good because barrel whip was/is a serious issue for these rifles. One of the things the specialty shops will do is "tune" your rifle. It is worth it.

Ruger still uses a lot of castings, and so sometimes the insides can be pretty rough. With this rifle and this action, I have found it is still getting more precise the more I shoot it. I am several hundred rounds in and I am am least the 3rd owner. (First 2 owners didn't seem to care too much for it. There was still cosmoline inside parts of it when I bought it).
            I've never had a FTF or FTE, in fact if you look back at some of my older pics you can see the ejector is really really throwing brass, and I haven't figured out exactly why yet.

Funny story, the magazine for the Mini-30 with very slight modification, work great for my 6.8. It is crazy fun to empty those big magazines.

So I guess to wrap it all up, they're affordable compact semi-autos that's aren't AR's or AK's, they're lighter and more maneuverable than most M1As from springfield (at about half the price), and you can still enjoy a "classic" rifle look unlike something you might see on an FN SCAR. You will sacrifice some level of precision in choosing this action, but shouldn't be enough to deter you from hunting with it, especially in the range of that cartridge.
            Sounds like a plan. Be sure to check gunbroker before you go, maybe you can find yourself a good deal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              Yesterday, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              Yesterday, 11:25 AM
            • The $20 Shooting Shack
              by fitch270
              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
              by dewman
              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
            • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
              by dewman
              So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
              09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X