Does anybody have a Ruger Mini-30 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody have a Ruger Mini-30 ?

Are you happy with the performance of the rifle ?

I have been thinking of buying one, well maybe not now that I have researched it a little more.

The old Ruger Mini-30 with serial number 182 had a bore of .311, now I understand the redesigned Mini-30 SN 581-... has a .308 bore.
    I pulled some surplus 7.62X39 and guess what, the bullet is .311.
    Some have complained of FTF and are altering their firing pin to correct that problem. The improved Ruger does have a heavier barrel and operating rod which is good but if FTF is a problem and surplus ammo is a problem I don't know if I want one. What have others discovered with their Mini-30's ??

P.S. The Ruger 77/17 has already been improved. Now available in a green laminate stock with a much desired improved trigger. .17WSM list is $1069.
    If I don't get a Mini-30 I may get one of these.

Comment

Why a Mini-30 instead of an AR in .300 Blackout? You can also get an AR in 7.62x39

I had a Mini-14 in the early '90's with Failure to Feed problems and so-so accuracy. Personally, I'm never going to have another. In my opinion, the AR platform is superior.

Comment

I have a ruger ranch in 6.8spc. Feel Free to ask me any follow up questions

It's similar, but neither of these rifles are an M1A. I am happy with this rifle as a "ranch" rifle, but it will never have the precision of my other rifles, and I am okay with that. It took me a while but I came to terms with the idea that I could buy a new precision non-AR or custom build my own S/A with the M1 action less expensively than I could put all of the custom tinkering that I wanted to put into that Ruger.

If you are willing to tinker with it, you can get decent results. For me that is still very much part of the fun. There are a few select specialty gunsmiths out there that can make it a match grade rifle, but you will need to spend a bit of money. It will never be a precision rifle, unless you're willing to spend $1400-$2000 in modification and accurizing.

What I will say is that I don't care for the 7.62X39 round, but if people like it then this rifle is a good alternative to an AR. The Mini-30 is still a good bit light and more maneuverable than most of the Springfield M1A builds. It won't be as finicky as an AR, but it won't be as sloppy and an AK either, especially if you put some TLC into it.

Ruger did start to make the barrels thicker which is good because barrel whip was/is a serious issue for these rifles. One of the things the specialty shops will do is "tune" your rifle. It is worth it.

Ruger still uses a lot of castings, and so sometimes the insides can be pretty rough. With this rifle and this action, I have found it is still getting more precise the more I shoot it. I am several hundred rounds in and I am am least the 3rd owner. (First 2 owners didn't seem to care too much for it. There was still cosmoline inside parts of it when I bought it).
        I've never had a FTF or FTE, in fact if you look back at some of my older pics you can see the ejector is really really throwing brass, and I haven't figured out exactly why yet.

Funny story, the magazine for the Mini-30 with very slight modification, work great for my 6.8. It is crazy fun to empty those big magazines.

So I guess to wrap it all up, they're affordable compact semi-autos that's aren't AR's or AK's, they're lighter and more maneuverable than most M1As from springfield (at about half the price), and you can still enjoy a "classic" rifle look unlike something you might see on an FN SCAR. You will sacrifice some level of precision in choosing this action, but shouldn't be enough to deter you from hunting with it, especially in the range of that cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Why a Mini-30 instead of an AR in .300 Blackout? You can also get an AR in 7.62x39

I had a Mini-14 in the early '90's with Failure to Feed problems and so-so accuracy. Personally, I'm never going to have another. In my opinion, the AR platform is superior.
          They make the mini-30's in .300blk, AR's in 7.62X39 are generally pretty finicky, I've never had a problem with Failure to Feed on my Mini-6.8 and my large capacity mags are actually mini-30 mags I converted.

Mini's can be much more compact than an AR, and you can get them in walnut stocks so you don't have to look like you're carrying something 'tacticool'. There is a lot of things Ruger could do to reinvent this rifle, if they wanted to. I personally don't see why so many guys like the AR if they aren't in it for the modular platform.

Comment

Like buckshot00, I have a Ruger in 6.8mm.
            To me, the "Mini 30" or the AR in 7.62×39 is simply a semi auto .30-30.
            I liked the 6.8mm well enough, I built an AR 6.8mm.
            The Ruger Ranch isn't a benchrest rifle. Don't expect that kind of accuracy out of it.
            My 6.8mm has never had a "fail to function".
            The biggest reason I went to the AR was because of the difficulty in locating mags more than 5 rounds.
            When hunting with my 6.8, I carry two 10 round mags.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              The Ruger Ranch isn't a benchrest rifle. Don't expect that kind of accuracy out of it.
              The biggest reason I went to the AR was because of the difficulty in locating mags more than 5 rounds.
              Bubba, mini-30 mags fit into mine. I had to manipulate the left side a bit to get them to pick up but otherwise works like a charm

Comment

Good info there, thanks for taking the time. One of the things I like about the AR in .300 BLK is the capability of using the common .223 mags without modification. Also, subsonic ammo is readily available off the shelf. Should be fun hunting pigs this Fall with a suppressed rifle.

Comment

Why? because I have 0,000's of rounds of ammo

Comment

My Mini-14 is great, no FTF and I can just about cover a 5 round 100yd group with a quarter. No complaints at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

It's similar, but neither of these rifles are an M1A. I am happy with this rifle as a "ranch" rifle, but it will never have the precision of my other rifles, and I am okay with that. It took me a while but I came to terms with the idea that I could buy a new precision non-AR or custom build my own S/A with the M1 action less expensively than I could put all of the custom tinkering that I wanted to put into that Ruger.

If you are willing to tinker with it, you can get decent results. For me that is still very much part of the fun. There are a few select specialty gunsmiths out there that can make it a match grade rifle, but you will need to spend a bit of money. It will never be a precision rifle, unless you're willing to spend $1400-$2000 in modification and accurizing.

What I will say is that I don't care for the 7.62X39 round, but if people like it then this rifle is a good alternative to an AR. The Mini-30 is still a good bit light and more maneuverable than most of the Springfield M1A builds. It won't be as finicky as an AR, but it won't be as sloppy and an AK either, especially if you put some TLC into it.

Ruger did start to make the barrels thicker which is good because barrel whip was/is a serious issue for these rifles. One of the things the specialty shops will do is "tune" your rifle. It is worth it.

Ruger still uses a lot of castings, and so sometimes the insides can be pretty rough. With this rifle and this action, I have found it is still getting more precise the more I shoot it. I am several hundred rounds in and I am am least the 3rd owner. (First 2 owners didn't seem to care too much for it. There was still cosmoline inside parts of it when I bought it).
                      I've never had a FTF or FTE, in fact if you look back at some of my older pics you can see the ejector is really really throwing brass, and I haven't figured out exactly why yet.

Funny story, the magazine for the Mini-30 with very slight modification, work great for my 6.8. It is crazy fun to empty those big magazines.

So I guess to wrap it all up, they're affordable compact semi-autos that's aren't AR's or AK's, they're lighter and more maneuverable than most M1As from springfield (at about half the price), and you can still enjoy a "classic" rifle look unlike something you might see on an FN SCAR. You will sacrifice some level of precision in choosing this action, but shouldn't be enough to deter you from hunting with it, especially in the range of that cartridge.
                      My Mini-14 is perfect. I can just about cover a 5shot 100yd group with a quarter.
                      I have a lot of ammo that is why I am looking at the Mini-30. I had to qualify on the M1 Carbine as well as the M-16 and that is why I like the Carbine action and dislike the AR actions. I do realize they have come a long ways in almost 60 years. I was shooting my B-Mag .17WSM on the 300yd range and a guy was shooting a AR. His target was slightly bigger than a standard playing card. When I shot the M-16 if you hit a target the size of 1/2 sheet of plywood 3 or 40 times you were considered expert.
                      P.S. you mentioned strong ejection, my 14 does the same thing. I am using reloads but they are not necessarily on the hot side. Don't know why ?

Comment

Bubba, My Mini-14 shoots 5shot groups at 100yds I can just about cover with a quarter. Never, repeat, never have I had a FTF OR FTE. Don't know what you are talking about. I am not looking for an AR. I liked the M1 carbine from the service and hated the M-16 action, plus I have a lot of ammo for the Mini-30.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

Haven't figured it out yet Jimbo, but so far she's dented every piece of brass shot thru her.

Comment

Yeah, I like my 6.8 plenty but Ruger did a lot of work to improve the Mini-14 and the Mini-30 and just left the 6.8 to dangle. Older versions weren't as good and they do go back and look at things like barrel thickness and harmonics, and I believe the invested in better stress relief after hammer forging.

Anyway, what I was saying before is: With my factory Ruger Mags, I've never ever had a problem. However, they don't make large capacity factory magazines for the mini-6.8 like they do for the Mini-30. However, clever person that I am, I noticed that the magazine well dimensions were awfully dang similar and my guess was give the case dimensions ruger didn't make any changes when they made the Mini-6.8. Sure enough... so I bought one for giggles and loaded in. No problem picking up rounds on the bolt carrier side, but the "left" side rounds weren't quite high enough for the round to get picked up, a little gentle bending on the mag lip, and Bingo!

Anyway, I thought Bubba might like to know that way he could carry (1) 20rd mag instead of (2) 10rd mags.

Comment

I had one in 556 in 1986-7 it wasen't worth a Sh!t it feed well but groups were 4.5" to 6"with Win Hunting Ammo. I traded it for a Ruger Deer Slayer 44Mag.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                Yesterday, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                Yesterday, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X