Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a torque limiting screwdriver or wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a torque limiting screwdriver or wrench?

I've always hand tightened screws on guns and scopes. However, as a mechanic's son I'm probably using too much force. Lately this has been a concern as I'm starting to seek better accuracy from my hunting rifles.

So, what methods do you use when re-assembling your firearm? Do you use a torque limiting device? Also, do you have a preference in the order that you tighten screws on stocks and scopes?

Below is a torque screwdriver that I'm considering to get from Amazon. Do you think it's adequate for the task? Thanks in advance!

I use a torque wrench for two applications: Scope rings and bases, and action screws. I used to do too much for the rings, not enough for the bases. Action screws allow you to reproducibly find the right spot for your stock/action that gives the best accuracy.

I would look at a wrench that allows you to go higher on the torque scale. Wheeler makes one that goes higher; that's what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
      I use a torque wrench for two applications: Scope rings and bases, and action screws. I used to do too much for the rings, not enough for the bases. Action screws allow you to reproducibly find the right spot for your stock/action that gives the best accuracy.

I would look at a wrench that allows you to go higher on the torque scale. Wheeler makes one that goes higher; that's what I use.
      Thanks AMFLYER! That Wheeler does indeed look better. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012AXR4S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

I wouold look on e-bay or at flea markets for a name brand inch lb wrench for a lot less than one shown. I bought one for about $15 if I remember right.
        Yes, I use it all the time. Each ring and base manufacturer has specs as well as the manufacturers of the fasteners. My Weatherby has an involved action screw tightening procedure where the screws are tightened back and forth to specific inch lbs until the final tightening.

Comment

I acquired a Wheeler FAT wrench last fall and then asked myself why I hadn't gotten one sooner.
          I have installed a couple scopes with it, but not enough to form a set pattern for tightening screws.

FWIW I bought the FAT wrench when it was on sail and paid $40+shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
            I acquired a Wheeler FAT wrench last fall and then asked myself why I hadn't gotten one sooner.
            I have installed a couple scopes with it, but not enough to form a set pattern for tightening screws.

FWIW I bought the FAT wrench when it was on sail and paid $40+shipping.
            Thanks! I'll take a look at that one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
              by 99explorer
              A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
              This final shot does...
              Today, 09:07 PM
            • Lost in the woods.
              by 99explorer
              You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
              One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
              Two Indians...
              Today, 01:24 PM
            • Books on a shelf.
              by 99explorer
              There are several books on a bookshelf.
              If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
              Yesterday, 02:19 PM
            • Mental arithmetic.
              by 99explorer
              A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
              The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
              How much does the ball cost?
              Yesterday, 11:57 AM
            • The new king.
              by 99explorer
              The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
              Now the twins are adults...
              08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X