Load Testing - How many rounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Testing - How many rounds?

I'm developing new hunting loads for several firearms this Spring. My quandary is in how many rounds of each load constitutes an adequate test.

For instance - would shooting three groups of each powder load work?

How many levels in the load ladder is sufficient? Do you use 1 grain increments or 1/2 grain increments?

What about 3-round vs 5-round groups?

I'm curious to find out the best practices from you hand-loaders in this forum. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Anymore, pighunter, considering the cost of powder and bullets, I'd see what I could accomplish with 3 loads.
    I don't know how far you are from the range, mine is out the back door.
    I build three and try them. If they look good I'll fine tune a little.
    If they're disappointing, it's a 1 grain jump or a different powder, depending on how I feel.
    Fine tune is one-tenth (.10) grain up or down.
    Back in the day of $4 powder and $5 bullets, I tried no less than 5.

(edit): I'm not into benchrest shooting, so just a nicely accurate round, +/-.75"/100 yards. Cloverleafs are nice, but not my goal.

Comment

PH, I have a lot of loading manuals and make a spread sheet of the various powders I am thinking of trying. Also I listen to people more experienced than me with a particular caliber to see what 'the ' powder is. My 22-250 powder came to me that way and it is a winner. Some powders are made specifically for a particular caliber - for instance Ball-C-2 was made for the .223/5.56, H4895 was surplus WW II powder used specifically for the 30-06 in the M-1 Grand. Too fast burning powder bends the operating rod on the M-1 so attention to reloading is important.
      So, I take a powder and plot the min- max load on the sheet and look for manuals suggested 'best' powders and sometimes optimum loads. Next I determine the top load in my gun. We talked about pressures recently. I don't go past a little cratering but that is just me. My gunsmith keeps going until the primer is completely flat - each to his own.
      I increase by .1gr for smaller cases and maybe .5 or even 1gr increments for the large cases and fire 2 rounds each load. Be sure to take apart the over max loads when you get home.
      Once I get max, I back down 1 to 1.5gr and fire 2 or 3 shots looking for consistent groups. My 180gr .300Wby could go about 3200fps but I back down to 3050fps - why push the limit, nothing I shoot needs the extra 150fps. That's it, that is all I do. P.S. once you get a good load, keep it and don't mess with other loads - if you do it will drive you crazy and wear out the adjustments knobs on your scope. People have said a man with one rifle will be an expert with it and I extend that to say a rifle with one load will be the perfect rig. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Comment

PH, I have a lot of loading manuals and make a spread sheet of the various powders I am thinking of trying. Also I listen to people more experienced than me with a particular caliber to see what 'the ' powder is. My 22-250 powder came to me that way and it is a winner. Some powders are made specifically for a particular caliber - for instance Ball-C-2 was made for the .223/5.56, H4895 was surplus WW II powder used specifically for the 30-06 in the M-1 Grand. Too fast burning powder bends the operating rod on the M-1 so attention to reloading is important.
        So, I take a powder and plot the min- max load on the sheet and look for manuals suggested 'best' powders and sometimes optimum loads. Next I determine the top load in my gun. We talked about pressures recently. I don't go past a little cratering but that is just me. My gunsmith keeps going until the primer is completely flat - each to his own.
        I increase by .1gr for smaller cases and maybe .5 or even 1gr increments for the large cases and fire 2 rounds each load. Be sure to take apart the over max loads when you get home.
        Once I get max, I back down 1 to 1.5gr and fire 2 or 3 shots looking for consistent groups. My 180gr .300Wby could go about 3200fps but I back down to 3050fps - why push the limit, nothing I shoot needs the extra 150fps. That's it, that is all I do. P.S. once you get a good load, keep it and don't mess with other loads - if you do it will drive you crazy and wear out the adjustments knobs on your scope. People have said a man with one rifle will be an expert with it and I extend that to say a rifle with one load will be the perfect rig. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          Anymore, pighunter, considering the cost of powder and bullets, I'd see what I could accomplish with 3 loads.
          I don't know how far you are from the range, mine is out the back door.
          I build three and try them. If they look good I'll fine tune a little.
          If they're disappointing, it's a 1 grain jump or a different powder, depending on how I feel.
          Fine tune is one-tenth (.10) grain up or down.
          Back in the day of $4 powder and $5 bullets, I tried no less than 5.

(edit): I'm not into benchrest shooting, so just a nicely accurate round, +/-.75"/100 yards. Cloverleafs are nice, but not my goal.
          Thanks for the advice. My range is a short drive so distance is not a problem, but finding the time can be. PigHuntress and I are planning to spend Friday afternoon shooting :-D

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            Now that is indeed a different approach. I've never tried to find the maximum first and then work downward. (But I've accidently built overpressure .40 S&W loads that flattened the heck out of the primers!) I like what you said about not needing to push the limits on hunting loads. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Now that is indeed a different approach. I've never tried to find the maximum first and then work downward. (But I've accidently built overpressure .40 S&W loads that flattened the heck out of the primers!) I like what you said about not needing to push the limits on hunting loads. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

If you have a .40 case rupture and go into the magazine well and wreck the trigger assembly you will trash the firearm. The operating pressure of the .40S&W is the highest of all common handguns that is why reloaders have to be very careful.

Comment

I prefer to have 9 rounds, for 3 3 shot groups. This is usually how I decide which load I want. Then I take enough with me that if I stick with that load I can sight my gun in that day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                    by 99explorer
                    Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                    Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                  • Mansion on fire.
                    by 99explorer
                    One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                    It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                    Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                  • Firing squad.
                    by 99explorer
                    A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                    This final shot does...
                    08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                  • Lost in the woods.
                    by 99explorer
                    You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                    One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                    Two Indians...
                    08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                  • Books on a shelf.
                    by 99explorer
                    There are several books on a bookshelf.
                    If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                    08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X