Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With All The New Style Ammo Is The 32Acp & 380Acp A Good Self Defense Cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    I have family and friends that have a .380 for their concealed carry.

One is my daughter. She's slightly built and has limited options for carry, especially since most clothes for women these days fit tight and have minimum pockets. The Ruger LCP with its smaller size definitely helps.

Another is my dad. He's in his mid 80's and wanted a small semi-auto with laser to help sight if ever having to defend himself. He chose a S&W.

The third is a good friend of mine who is a competitive shooter and has multiple marshal arts black belts. He carries the LCP with laser, even when fishing or working around his property. The laser sight helps when he needs to dispatch poisonous snakes. Would probably also work well on two-legged snakes.

Below is a pretty good article about the .380 and an interesting back and forth in the associated comments. Bottom line is there's plenty of good loads available and shot placement trumps caliber. Rule #1 is a .380 you have with you in the restaurant is better than the 10mm left in the truck.
    I have the smith mod 36 with bobbed trigger - slips right in my back pocket.

Comment

I suppose a .32 or .380 would be better than a sharp stick if you're in a bind, but I prefer something with a bit more "oomph.
      Heck, my wife carries a .22LR.

Comment

I’d carry them if I needed something small for deep concealment but I don’t think they’re optimum. But heck, my grandpa even loved the 25ACP! I guess in a pinch, anything is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          Tree, the name 'mouse gun' refers to the M-16 because, when we first got them in '67 we thought they looked kinda mickey mouse. Did not shoot straight either. Wrote a letter home and said I hope my life never depends on this new rifle.
          Tree, the M-16 you got must still have still had wet paint. Don't you wish you still had the M-14 ? I bought the Ruger mini 14 becaise it is based on the original 14, am thinking about getting the Mini-30 at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            I'm not going to criticize. I carried a Taurus TCP as the must conceal gun for a few years.
            In the last 4 or 5 though, things like the S&W shield have come along which make the subcompact 9mms really easy to conceal with a service cartridge. I am looking at that from the spectrum of a healthy guy in his 40's though. If I was a small lady or a few decades down the line, maybe I wouldn't like the cartridge in a small frame.
            On the other hand, if I was a 110 lbs female who had to use my gun, I'd also like it to be more likely that the shots actually stop the attack NOW instead of in a few minutes.

Shot placement is key but I've watched a lot of video of violent encounters and taken simunitions classes with a wide range of people. Even in the sims scenarios where there was nothing on the line but learning a lesson the level of adrenaline caused cops and soldiers to lose form and shoot poorly. They made hits for the most part, but in the scramble they were all over the place. I don't expect the average young lady to do better. The cartridge being manageable but with a bit more power is the sweetspot there IMHO.
            I'm glad you're happy with it and it's working.
            I'm more of the "my brain and my holster are my safeties" type, but I've owned an XDS with the palm safety and it's the next best thing. I had a 1911-.22 and don't recall the grip safety ever causing a problem and I abused that thing.

Comment

Many studies have shown the .32 acp can be an effective personal defense cartridge. Personally, I really like shooting the .32. Too much gun advice is driven by marketing and profit. It's like buying a car, they want to sell you the one that brings the most profit, not the one that's right for you. I just traded a .380 pocket pistol for a .32 pocket pistol, because I'm a better shooter with a .32.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                by 99explorer
                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                Now the twins are adults...
                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
              • Sisters.
                by 99explorer
                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                How...
                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
              • Rice for sale.
                by 99explorer
                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                He soon becomes...
                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
              • Strangers meet.
                by 99explorer
                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                No identification markers...
                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
              • OU football
                by FirstBubba
                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X