Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With All The New Style Ammo Is The 32Acp & 380Acp A Good Self Defense Cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With All The New Style Ammo Is The 32Acp & 380Acp A Good Self Defense Cartridge?

I Like The Idea The 32Acp & 380 Have Come A Long Way In The Mouse Guns Have Come In A Small Compact Pistol A Grab & Go Size. What Say You??

I have family and friends that have a .380 for their concealed carry.

One is my daughter. She's slightly built and has limited options for carry, especially since most clothes for women these days fit tight and have minimum pockets. The Ruger LCP with its smaller size definitely helps.

Another is my dad. He's in his mid 80's and wanted a small semi-auto with laser to help sight if ever having to defend himself. He chose a S&W.

The third is a good friend of mine who is a competitive shooter and has multiple marshal arts black belts. He carries the LCP with laser, even when fishing or working around his property. The laser sight helps when he needs to dispatch poisonous snakes. Would probably also work well on two-legged snakes.

Below is a pretty good article about the .380 and an interesting back and forth in the associated comments. Bottom line is there's plenty of good loads available and shot placement trumps caliber. Rule #1 is a .380 you have with you in the restaurant is better than the 10mm left in the truck.

Comment

I'm not going to criticize. I carried a Taurus TCP as the must conceal gun for a few years.
      In the last 4 or 5 though, things like the S&W shield have come along which make the subcompact 9mms really easy to conceal with a service cartridge. I am looking at that from the spectrum of a healthy guy in his 40's though. If I was a small lady or a few decades down the line, maybe I wouldn't like the cartridge in a small frame.
      On the other hand, if I was a 110 lbs female who had to use my gun, I'd also like it to be more likely that the shots actually stop the attack NOW instead of in a few minutes.

Shot placement is key but I've watched a lot of video of violent encounters and taken simunitions classes with a wide range of people. Even in the sims scenarios where there was nothing on the line but learning a lesson the level of adrenaline caused cops and soldiers to lose form and shoot poorly. They made hits for the most part, but in the scramble they were all over the place. I don't expect the average young lady to do better. The cartridge being manageable but with a bit more power is the sweetspot there IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

One is my daughter. She's slightly built and has limited options for carry, especially since most clothes for women these days fit tight and have minimum pockets. The Ruger LCP with its smaller size definitely helps.

Another is my dad. He's in his mid 80's and wanted a small semi-auto with laser to help sight if ever having to defend himself. He chose a S&W.

The third is a good friend of mine who is a competitive shooter and has multiple marshal arts black belts. He carries the LCP with laser, even when fishing or working around his property. The laser sight helps when he needs to dispatch poisonous snakes. Would probably also work well on two-legged snakes.

Below is a pretty good article about the .380 and an interesting back and forth in the associated comments. Bottom line is there's plenty of good loads available and shot placement trumps caliber. Rule #1 is a .380 you have with you in the restaurant is better than the 10mm left in the truck.
        PH, You are so right a 10/m in a truck is useless, but a 32 or 380 in hand is Riches!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
          I'm not going to criticize. I carried a Taurus TCP as the must conceal gun for a few years.
          In the last 4 or 5 though, things like the S&W shield have come along which make the subcompact 9mms really easy to conceal with a service cartridge. I am looking at that from the spectrum of a healthy guy in his 40's though. If I was a small lady or a few decades down the line, maybe I wouldn't like the cartridge in a small frame.
          On the other hand, if I was a 110 lbs female who had to use my gun, I'd also like it to be more likely that the shots actually stop the attack NOW instead of in a few minutes.

Shot placement is key but I've watched a lot of video of violent encounters and taken simunitions classes with a wide range of people. Even in the sims scenarios where there was nothing on the line but learning a lesson the level of adrenaline caused cops and soldiers to lose form and shoot poorly. They made hits for the most part, but in the scramble they were all over the place. I don't expect the average young lady to do better. The cartridge being manageable but with a bit more power is the sweetspot there IMHO.
          Ammo and guns have come a long way. I just got the Remington R-51 reintroduced in 2017 with all the bugs out and some additional features. This is a 9mm +P and is a decendent of the original 51 made in 1920 -30. The action was designed by Pederson and allows the barrel to be very low to the hand giving straight back recoil, no muzzle flip and fast second shot on target. It only has a backstrap safety so quick to get in action. I intend to carry it in my back pocket as it has all rounded edges. I went with Sig 147gr in target ammo and the matching 147gr personal defense. Best HP on the market. They both hit to the same POI. Fired mine first time with zero FTF or any other problem. Browning ammo is also right up there in performance and won't break the bank.

Comment

Tree, the name 'mouse gun' refers to the M-16 because, when we first got them in '67 we thought they looked kinda mickey mouse. Did not shoot straight either. Wrote a letter home and said I hope my life never depends on this new rifle.

Comment

Tree, Tyler Freel from OL blogs is a fan of the big Clock in 10mm for guiding in Alaska. He and his buddies have some alterations they make to them and he wrote about it in one of his blogs. You should see the bears and sheep he has got. Answers right back if you e-mail him.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Tree, the name 'mouse gun' refers to the M-16 because, when we first got them in '67 we thought they looked kinda mickey mouse. Did not shoot straight either. Wrote a letter home and said I hope my life never depends on this new rifle.
                I was in country(63) with the M-14, when i was leaving(64) the m-16 was called the (Matty Mattel) Plastic Toy Gun.

Comment

jimbo the 10mm has put the K-bosh on the 45Acp, I have a old time member who's son & son inlaw are bought Alaskan Troopers with issue Glocks m-29 10s & 12ga Ithaca's slug bbl with Brenneke Ammo, + AR-14/223.

Comment

I did carry a 1911,to bulky for concealed,then I bought a. .38 snub revolver,fits compact, now the 1911 is part of the home guard and the .38 is my main carry, PH makes a lot of sense

Comment

.380 is OK for a lightweight carry gun, don't know if I am quite up to trusting a .32 ACP. Looking real hard at either a Remington R-51 or a Kimber Micro 9 in 9 m/m Parabellum, just to have something a little more concealable than .45 ACPs or .357 revolvers. Texas has open carry, however, I don't like the idea of everybody out there knowing I am carrying. One exception to that was during Harvey, I carried openly for eighteen days straight, due to reports of looters and limited police presence and limited access.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                        Jeff Cooper coined the phrase "mouse gun" due to the diminutive 5.56 m/m cartridge. However, I could not disagree that the older 16 E-1s and some of the A-1s and CAR-15s that we had were fairly Mickey Mouse. A very high maintenance weapon that was vastly inferior to the M-14 it replaced.

Comment

Here's a test of Lehigh Xtreme penetrator in 9mm & .380ACP.

Comment

6P, I really like those 38 snubbies. Great choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
                              Here's a test of Lehigh Xtreme penetrator in 9mm & .380ACP.
                              Great video. Very instructive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
                                by 99explorer
                                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                Today, 10:04 AM
                              • Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                Yesterday, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
                              • Mental arithmetic.
                                by 99explorer
                                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                                How much does the ball cost?
                                08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X