Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is rifling twists always to the right? Is it because the way machinery is set up to spin clockwise when compressing? My questioning is because everything in the northern hemisphere naturally spins counter clockwise, draining water, tornadoes, ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhjimbo
    replied
    The RH spin was to compensate for the torque imparted to the firearm for a RH shooter. That was the thinking years ago, don't know how true it holds.

Leave a comment:

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I don't know, I know there are some LH twist barrels out there. This just came up at my local gun shop. He'd gotten some of the polycase ammo in. I questioned the same thing only because the bullets sure looked like they were designed in such a way to impart spin (in the LH direction oddly enough) and I wondered if they'd perform the same in LH and RH.
    Hi...!!

You're talking about shotgun shells, right...?? If so, do the 'twists' in the slug ACTUALLY impart a spin...?? Somehow, I don't think so...!!

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
    That might be a good question for Field and Stream's "Ask Petzal."
    Hmm, I wonder if that's enough to get you out of the Snow-"doghouse"? Hope you have a different username on F&S or the "Mighty Petzel" is going to come down on you Heavily.

Leave a comment:

• MedMarine64
    replied
    Originally posted by JM View Post
    Good question...hopefully someone on here knows more than me because I'm interested now. Not all guns have rifling going the same way. Yes, the vast majority of guns will spin bullets clockwise, but there are some that spin counter-clockwise(can't think of any off the top of my head though). I think the biggest reason most bullets spin clockwise is because of the popularity and machinery used to make them(same tool manufacturers for multiple gun makers). I think the spin rate/twist rate is the only real thing to worry about. I can't think of a scenario when the direction of spin would matter.
    Marine Corp Snipers Must take into account the Coriolis Effect as that is because the Earth spins in one direction ( face North and it is from Right To Left) and a bullet may fly rather straight; BUT the target is Not where it was when the bullet was fired. Long range .50 snipers are well aware of this effect as are the others at Long ranges. Barrel twist rates also affect the stability of a round at long ranges to a modest degree and twist rates affect what the bullet does on impact. Early Vietnam M16's had a twist rate of 1/10; on impact the bullet could follow a muscle group from thigh to abdomen. Know of 1 hit that got a man in the gut and it came out of his upper right chest.
    1/12 is Much more stable and drills a hole instead of flipping end for end in some cases. The UN griped; said that they were too inhumane for warfare(?) in .223. 'When if warfare ever 'humane?' Direction of twist Might effect the bullet's point of impact a bit more with rh instead of lh twist. Hmmm, any master Sniper's on here ; Marine Instructors perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• Okwaho
    replied
    In truth, I'm no great fan of David E. Petzal. I've learned a good bit from him over the years, but the "nasty old curmudgeon" persona is just like the Bill Heavey "I can't do anything right but I can sure be sarcastic" persona. Funny at times, but generally just stupid. I think Petzal's thing is probably more authentic than Heavey's, and he does still manage to write without writing about himself (much), but sometimes all the Petzal-worship ("Mighty Petzal!) on Field and Stream is just too much. Some of those guys sound like teenaged girls at a Justin Bieber concert. // Charlie, funny you should say that: I did win one of Snow's contests, that comment-drawing for the Magpul bag. Actually, I think it was Ms. Krebs who did the drawing, but Snow's the one who sent it. I meant to tell you guys that. And I'll tell you, that's a good bag; very sturdy. Great, now he'll probably make me send it back. Honestly, I didn't know OL had a question-and-answer column like Petzal's.

Leave a comment:

• GuyGene
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Christensen View Post
    Just read in some places that the Coriolis Effect will not effect a bullets flight because it is to small and the flight duration is to short.
    Now I know why I've been missing! I've been shooting counter clockwise bullets in my clockwise rifled gun.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    According to numerous articles written in NRA publications, there is no real reason--except for tradition.
    There is some historical evidence that the Brits believed left-handed twist imparts slight leftward bullet drift which would compensate for a right-handed shooter's trigger pull.
    After the revolutionary war, Americans wanted to be and show they were independent of Britain. Webster expressed independence with the American version of English while writing his Webster dictionary. He is the one responsible for dropping the unnecessary U's and changing S's and C's around. The American gun manufacturer's changed the rifling twist to the right, clockwise and since then that's the way they've always done it.
    To make this easy to remember, if you buy a rifle made in a country where they drive on the wrong side the road the rifling will likely turn to the left. If you purchase the rifle made where they drive on the right side of the road, the rifling will turn right.
    That is really something to know Charlie. If there is ever a Trivial pursuit Game based on firearms that will be a question.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
    According to numerous articles written in NRA publications, there is no real reason--except for tradition.
    There is some historical evidence that the Brits believed left-handed twist imparts slight leftward bullet drift which would compensate for a right-handed shooter's trigger pull.
    After the revolutionary war, Americans wanted to be and show they were independent of Britain. Webster expressed independence with the American version of English while writing his Webster dictionary. He is the one responsible for dropping the unnecessary U's and changing S's and C's around. The American gun manufacturer's changed the rifling twist to the right, clockwise and since then that's the way they've always done it.
    To make this easy to remember, if you buy a rifle made in a country where they drive on the wrong side the road the rifling will likely turn to the left. If you purchase the rifle made where they drive on the right side of the road, the rifling will turn right.
    Very interesting. Didn't know most of that.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    One question, Tiough - what did F&S give you in exchange for that endorsement? ;-)

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    I can usually BS my way through an explanation well enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but for once even I'm at a loss for words. I have absolutely no idea. Even worse, now I'm curious about it, too. Lol I have never thought about that before, and I've never heard anyone ask that question. The direction of rifling is just one of those things you take for granted. I do know that when it comes to helical fletchings on arrows (which act to spin the arrow in the same manner that rifling spins a bullet), it doesn't matter if you have a right helical or a left helical. Both will stabilize the arrow identically, assuming all other factors are equal. To me, it would stand to reason that rifling would be the same - any difference between RH or LH twist would be so small as to be imperceptible. But I'm no physicist.

As to why most barrels - but not all - are RH twist, I don't know. I would assume that it has something to do with standardization of machinery, as JM said, but that's just a guess.
    It's possible, charlie. Out of the mouths of babes and fools... ;-D

Leave a comment:

• Michael Christensen
    replied
    Just read in some places that the Coriolis Effect will not effect a bullets flight because it is to small and the flight duration is to short.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    Somehow I mentally skipped over the coriolis effect as part of the question. Maybe a physicist will chime in but I don't believe that:

1-The coriolis effect is strong enough to have much impact on a dense projectile spinning at most for a couple of seconds.

2-That the premise that RH is better in the northern hemisphere makes sense unless you were shooting in a downward direction. Even if so, then
    Australia would probably be the odd ally that was running M-4s with LH twist.
    The Coriolis effect is an example of overthinking things like this.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
    I can usually BS my way through an explanation well enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but for once even I'm at a loss for words. I have absolutely no idea. Even worse, now I'm curious about it, too. Lol I have never thought about that before, and I've never heard anyone ask that question. The direction of rifling is just one of those things you take for granted. I do know that when it comes to helical fletchings on arrows (which act to spin the arrow in the same manner that rifling spins a bullet), it doesn't matter if you have a right helical or a left helical. Both will stabilize the arrow identically, assuming all other factors are equal. To me, it would stand to reason that rifling would be the same - any difference between RH or LH twist would be so small as to be imperceptible. But I'm no physicist.

As to why most barrels - but not all - are RH twist, I don't know. I would assume that it has something to do with standardization of machinery, as JM said, but that's just a guess.
    Are you saying the beginning of that answer just might be the most truthful you have ever written?

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Hmm, this is OL, John Snow will have his feelings hurt with that suggestion. So I guess you'll not be winning any of John's contests.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
  • TriggerTech installed
    by fitch270
    First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
    08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
  • Aquila ammo test
    by dewman
    Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
    Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
    08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
  • Show and Tell
    by Amflyer
    Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
    08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
  • College Orientation News
    by fitch270
    Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
    07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X