Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10mm vs. .45 ACP for deer hunting - is the 10mm significantly better? We touched on this briefly in a previous discussion, but I thought I would go a little more in-depth. I know the 10mm has about 50% more energy on average, but the .45 has a bigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10mm vs. .45 ACP for deer hunting - is the 10mm significantly better? We touched on this briefly in a previous discussion, but I thought I would go a little more in-depth. I know the 10mm has about 50% more energy on average, but the .45 has a bigger

10mm vs. .45 ACP for deer hunting - is the 10mm significantly better? We touched on this briefly in a previous discussion, but I thought I would go a little more in-depth. I know the 10mm has about 50% more energy on average, but the .45 has a bigger bullet that would open a larger wound channel. With either one, I would not be interested in stretching the range. 25-30 yards max. After all, isn't the point of using a handgun the challenge of getting close?

I've been watching this with interest to see what would develop. I'm curious, but I have nothing to offer you that wouldn't be hearsay.

Comment

Yes the 10mm is better because of that 50% more energy. As long as you use solid bullets, no hollow points. Guns kill most effectively by the energy shock they deliver in flesh and bone. Not so much by hemorrhage, making wound channel size less important. (Not unimportant, just less so.)
      Considering distance-- When it comes to handgun hunting I think of my handguns as bows that go bang and hunt accordingly.

Comment

"After all, isn't the point of using a handgun the challenge of getting close" ?
        That was the initial concept regarding archery equipment and we have all
        seen how far that has gone astray, so why should the use of handguns be
        any different. When you start opening the door to all kinds of technology,
        the limits are impossible to set and the door to close.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          "After all, isn't the point of using a handgun the challenge of getting close" ?
          That's what makes me think we should just open deer season and let hunters choose how they want to hunt. Instead of having bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle, handgun, airguns and soon to be spears and blowguns.

Comment

I'm all for the airguns, not so sure about some of the rest of that. I view handguns the same way I do bowhunting, although I admit that it's a bit of an abstract view, considering I've never shot a deer with a handgun. I've killed a number of squirrels and rabbits, but that's it. And I will say that despite the numerous technological advances in archery, it still is a short-range proposition, compared to gun hunting. Even old-time flintlock muzzleloaders could easily take a deer out to 75-100 yards in the right hands, whereas bowhunting is a 40-yard-and-under game for the average person.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
              Yes the 10mm is better because of that 50% more energy. As long as you use solid bullets, no hollow points. Guns kill most effectively by the energy shock they deliver in flesh and bone. Not so much by hemorrhage, making wound channel size less important. (Not unimportant, just less so.)
              Considering distance-- When it comes to handgun hunting I think of my handguns as bows that go bang and hunt accordingly.
              That's what I had in mind too, regarding distance. It would never (at least not for quite a while - still too much of a trophy hunter) be my primary weapon while hunting, so I wouldn't have much incentive to stretch the range even if I wanted to. So do you think the .45 is an ethical deer gun at the ranges I threw out there or not?

Comment

Either will kill a deer at the ranges you mentioned. I hunted with a guy that used .357Mag exclusively - from a tree stand. He got a deer every year.
                With my .44mag, and having sufficient practice, I would take a 100yd shot if there was an ideal presentation. No low percentage shots.

Comment

I will agree with both above comments, both have good points and well said. I had some regrets
                  after posting my original comment as I was not so sure my point would be well accepted by others.
                  The whole point of my post was that I strongly feel there must be a "challenge" in our sport of
                  hunting and that all the advantage can not always go to the hunter, the animal deserves more
                  respect than that. Allow us to still call it hunting and not just killing. As for what weapon is used,
                  that is at the discretion of each individual, but so are ethics and I feel there is a low point in that
                  respect in todays hunting fraternity. There appears to be too little concern and only a factor of
                  kill the "damn" thing and then lets hoop and holler about it. A long way from how I was brought up
                  as well as I know some of you were also. L guess I have stated my point, so I will shut up for now !

Comment

I don't think the .45 is an adequate deer gun, it just does not have enough ft/lbs to reliably kill a deer except at very close range. My personal preference is the 44 mag used at the range you reference. The ballistics of the 10m are adequate though.

Comment

If you want a handgun as your primary you could go with a .308 handgun Savage, Contender and Sig make them.

Comment

I have a kel-tec PLR in 5.56..
                        It's registered as a handgun.. doesn't really have that ft lbs problem.

Comment

Thanks for the opinion. Overall, would you say that the 10mm recoils much more than the .45? I've only shot one 10mm, a Glock, and the recoil wasn't excessive at all.

Comment

I would say the 10mm, unless you were loading the .45 to +P levels or otherwise turning it into the .45 super.

At that point their performances overlap more and it's more about what you prefer to shoot.

Comment

10mm with "standard" loads is about the same as 45 ACP. With Buffalo Bore mag loads there is a bit more recoil. But I think that recoil difference is due to perceived recoil because the mag loads are always louder. Autos tame real recoil quite a lot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X