Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic vs. wood rifle/shotgun stocks - which do you prefer and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Synthetic stocks are more efficient, lower cost, and less upkeep. I have both, but my most recent purchase has a walnut stock the beauty is so fine it brings tears to my eyes.
    I also tend to go for walnut over synthetic. Just got a new hunting knife with walnut scales.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      Good question.
      My deer rifle is a black synthetic stock and I wanted it that way. It's not pretty, but it's weatherproof and stable and when I scratch it it's difficult to notice or care.
      My shotguns are with one exception wood stocked. Some are things of beauty, if not of exceptional value as shotguns go, I'm not real worried about pinpoint accuracy, and I still cringe when battle scars appear.
      I have a .30-.30 lever gun that has an absolutely beautiful walnut stock. I got it used, it had been kicked around and chipped in spots. It's a close range gun. I don't hunt with it much. But a lever gun should just be wooden. No rational reason. History and coolness is key.
      Laminated stocks are the best of both worlds. Check out Boyds Stocks for lever-actions

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Web site erased my answer. 30-06 went back to wood. .300WbyMag went to synthetic. All others are wood except my .17WSM Savage.
        This is the Weatherby Mk V with both stocks.
        Nice Jimbo! I've got to say that wooden stock is pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          I love wood stocks, and I like the look of scratches even more.
          JCarlin, I'm glad you mentioned hammers. I view a rifle as a tool. It has to function and not something that necessarily has to be pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
            I love the look and feel of a wood stocked rifle or shotgun. So much the better with fine checkering or scroll work and beautiful wood grain features I have a real aversion to those synthetic stocks but sometimes function has to take priority over beauty and style. I shoot heavy 3" and 3 1/2" 12 guage rounds. The recoil is as hard on the firearm as it is on your shoulder. I have split the wood fore end on my past autoloader. So, I acquired a 3 1/2 "synthetic camo stock Beretta A 400 with the recoil reduction in the butt end and within the pistol grip of the stock. It may not be as good to look at but it is a real pleasure to shoot. It is by far the best shotgun I have ever owned.
            Laminated stocks provide the best of both worlds for me.

Comment

I use my firearms as tools so looks are not as important to me as they may be with someone else.

My preference is laminated
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                by 99explorer
                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                Yesterday, 06:45 PM
              • Mansion on fire.
                by 99explorer
                One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                Yesterday, 10:04 AM
              • Firing squad.
                by 99explorer
                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                This final shot does...
                08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
              • Lost in the woods.
                by 99explorer
                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                Two Indians...
                08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
              • Books on a shelf.
                by 99explorer
                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X