Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic vs. wood rifle/shotgun stocks - which do you prefer and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic vs. wood rifle/shotgun stocks - which do you prefer and why?

Synthetic vs. wood rifle/shotgun stocks - which do you prefer and why?

Good question.
    My deer rifle is a black synthetic stock and I wanted it that way. It's not pretty, but it's weatherproof and stable and when I scratch it it's difficult to notice or care.
    My shotguns are with one exception wood stocked. Some are things of beauty, if not of exceptional value as shotguns go, I'm not real worried about pinpoint accuracy, and I still cringe when battle scars appear.
    I have a .30-.30 lever gun that has an absolutely beautiful walnut stock. I got it used, it had been kicked around and chipped in spots. It's a close range gun. I don't hunt with it much. But a lever gun should just be wooden. No rational reason. History and coolness is key.

Comment

Web site erased my answer. 30-06 went back to wood. .300WbyMag went to synthetic. All others are wood except my .17WSM Savage.
      This is the Weatherby Mk V with both stocks.
      Attached Files

Comment

I love wood stocks, and I like the look of scratches even more.

Comment

I love the look and feel of a wood stocked rifle or shotgun. So much the better with fine checkering or scroll work and beautiful wood grain features I have a real aversion to those synthetic stocks but sometimes function has to take priority over beauty and style. I shoot heavy 3" and 3 1/2" 12 guage rounds. The recoil is as hard on the firearm as it is on your shoulder. I have split the wood fore end on my past autoloader. So, I acquired a 3 1/2 "synthetic camo stock Beretta A 400 with the recoil reduction in the butt end and within the pistol grip of the stock. It may not be as good to look at but it is a real pleasure to shoot. It is by far the best shotgun I have ever owned.

Comment

I love wood, but I use plastic, except for my old Browning Superposed.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
              You like the look of scratches? I believe that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Web site erased my answer. 30-06 went back to wood. .300WbyMag went to synthetic. All others are wood except my .17WSM Savage.
                That's an interesting design on the synthetic stock. Did you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  Good question.
                  My deer rifle is a black synthetic stock and I wanted it that way. It's not pretty, but it's weatherproof and stable and when I scratch it it's difficult to notice or care.
                  My shotguns are with one exception wood stocked. Some are things of beauty, if not of exceptional value as shotguns go, I'm not real worried about pinpoint accuracy, and I still cringe when battle scars appear.
                  I have a .30-.30 lever gun that has an absolutely beautiful walnut stock. I got it used, it had been kicked around and chipped in spots. It's a close range gun. I don't hunt with it much. But a lever gun should just be wooden. No rational reason. History and coolness is key.
                  You bring up a good point about lever guns and wood stocks. I'd never thought of it, but I would have to agree. Putting a synthetic stock on a lever gun would kind of ruin the feel of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    I love the look and feel of a wood stocked rifle or shotgun. So much the better with fine checkering or scroll work and beautiful wood grain features I have a real aversion to those synthetic stocks but sometimes function has to take priority over beauty and style. I shoot heavy 3" and 3 1/2" 12 guage rounds. The recoil is as hard on the firearm as it is on your shoulder. I have split the wood fore end on my past autoloader. So, I acquired a 3 1/2 "synthetic camo stock Beretta A 400 with the recoil reduction in the butt end and within the pistol grip of the stock. It may not be as good to look at but it is a real pleasure to shoot. It is by far the best shotgun I have ever owned.
                    I would have to agree. I like the feel and look of wood, but I also like the durability and affordability of synthetic. It also cuts down on weight, which can be a plus for shotguns.

Comment

I like wood. Wood just has a classic look and feel on a shotgun. As a wood stock gets used, it builds more character and seems richer for it. Synthetic stocks just look scratched.

Comment

Yeah, I know people who will have a wooden stock refinished if it gets scratched up. I just don't understand why. An old beat up wooden stock covered in chips and scratches tells a story, just like the scars on your body. Even better when the scratches are a collection from three generations of use.

Comment

I got it this way.

Comment

I'm kind of with you JM. I don't want to add them, but they happen and they're a sign of use. I think I cringe more because I associate with some folks who will notice every new scratch and call you out on it. You do that you go to the box, you know, and you feel shame, you know.

Comment

Now that is a good idea. Admire the wood stock and use it where appropriate but when the going gets tough switch to the synthetic and let it take a beating

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hotel guest.
                                by 99explorer
                                A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
                                She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
                                The...
                                Today, 08:41 PM
                              • Plane crash.
                                by 99explorer
                                A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
                                Where do they bury the survivors?
                                Today, 03:16 PM
                              • Animals on the ark.
                                by 99explorer
                                How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
                                Today, 02:08 PM
                              • The college student puzzle..
                                by 99explorer
                                A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                                The first station is a mile from home,...
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • Pieces of gold.
                                by 99explorer
                                Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                                08-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X