Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's an odd question for pistol shooters. I am interested in purchasing a Walther P99 for a fun gun to enjoy at the range for cheap, yet also protect the wife at home. Upon reading, I find it comes with different shaped back strap pieces to change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bo
    replied
    First of all, let me give you some of my background and why I believe what I do. I was a medic on a recon team overseas many years ago, back in the early 70's. I carried a 1911 government model.45. I know what that caliber can do. After I got out of the Army, I went to nursing school and then spent more than 30 years working in various ERs. I bought into the 9mm craze shortly after I got out and as soon as I started seeing some of the failures of the round, I sold it and went to a bigger round. I will tell you that in my experience, the 9 mm can be more dangerous to the shooter than to the shootee. I have seen very few fatalities from the 9mm round and have seen more than one person who received a head shot, one guy was shot 3 times in the head with a 9 and lived, (Fouled Up Beyond All Repair or FUBARred) but he lived. I have seen more than one person who was shot center of mass and still was able to hurt the shooter. I would recommend at least a .40 for self defense carry gun. Anything less is just something less and may end up being a fatal decision on the part of the shooter because it doesn't work as well as it should. I have talked to a number of recent veterans who hated the 9mm that the Army switched over to more than twenty years ago. There is a reason that some of the SEALs, Special Forces and Force Recon prefer .45 caliber. As for me, my personal choice is a Smith Pro Series Sub Compact. Love that gun

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Originally posted by JM View Post
    I'm not positive, but I believe their rear sights are fixed(can not be adjusted up or down), so the different front sight heights are for different distances of anticipated shooting. Accuracy should not be a problem if you throw on some fiber optic/night sights.
    I'd say it's an attempt to give the owner a bit more flexibility, while not going to the cost of putting fully-adjustable sights on the gun. Just a guess...

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Originally posted by Kody View Post
    I don't think I would describe the Walther P99 as cheap as in inexpensive, it is an relatively expensive 9mm and may not come with some of the extras provided by the competition. That should in no way detour you based on something being lacking. It is a quality gun and I am sure you have already made yourself aware of its features. I have owned one in the past and found the sights to be very good and the trigger to be not so good.
    Hello Officerdom1987, I am not much of a pistol guy to be giving anyone advice. I sold the gun not because of its deficiencies, I need a longer sight plane or barrel to shoot a handgun worth a darn. I liked the sights and did not look to upgrade them. I am the weak link in this particular chain so I was unable to have it perform well regardless of the sight. Give me a 44 Mag or a .22 revolver in S $ W with a longer barrel and good trigger. Sorry I could not of been of more help.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    I'm not positive, but I believe their rear sights are fixed(can not be adjusted up or down), so the different front sight heights are for different distances of anticipated shooting. Accuracy should not be a problem if you throw on some fiber optic/night sights.
    Marketing, maybe? Trying the next new thing? Make people think they are getting more for their money? Is it really any different than any other gun with a removable sight that you want to replace? Just some thoughts, idk.

Leave a comment:

• officerdom1987
    replied
    JM, very valid points, but why do you think other manufacturers don't make this option available on their pistols as well? I can take a two of similar style pistols and predominantly shoot the same with both, and I never have to swap sight posts that are higher or lower. I just find it a very strange concept.

Leave a comment:

• officerdom1987
    replied
    Originally posted by Kody View Post
    I don't think I would describe the Walther P99 as cheap as in inexpensive, it is an relatively expensive 9mm and may not come with some of the extras provided by the competition. That should in no way detour you based on something being lacking. It is a quality gun and I am sure you have already made yourself aware of its features. I have owned one in the past and found the sights to be very good and the trigger to be not so good.
    Kody, let me clarify that might last few firearm purchases have been over the $1,000 range so to me, $500 is more "manageable". Seeing as you had owned one, did you find yourself changing the front sight on it or did you just use the one that it came on it factory? I have studied this firearm thoroughly and this front sight discussion is the only thing that is keeping me from purchasing it at this moment.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I think JM is right. I wouldn't worry about it. It might actually be a positive selling point for me.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I agree with JM, if the rear sight is not adjustable for elevation, the front sight is how you make the adjustment. Plus, if you vary from light target loads to full power loads you may want to change the front sight height. A low power load will shoot high and a full power load will shoot low.
    If you get an after market front, you would get one of the same height as what you are using.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Here's an odd question for pistol shooters. I am interested in purchasing a Walther P99 for a fun gun to enjoy at the range for cheap, yet also protect the wife at home. Upon reading, I find it comes with different shaped back strap pieces to change

Here's an odd question for pistol shooters. I am interested in purchasing a Walther P99 for a fun gun to enjoy at the range for cheap, yet also protect the wife at home. Upon reading, I find it comes with different shaped back strap pieces to change out; that's all well and good. But it also comes with 3 other front sight posts of different sizes. So I thought that it meant maybe the dot was different sizes, so I asked Walther, and it's actually the post itself. Question: Why is this even an option, companies like Glock, HK, Sig Sauer all never do this. Do you think this is a red flag not purchase based on accuracy issues? What if I put on night sights say from Trijicon, will they work as good because there is other options of front sights for different heights? I'm hesitant on this, and never heard of this before. Some opinions would help sway me would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Birthday
    by Amflyer
    Bought the boy a new Left handed Tikka today for his upcoming birthday. Stainless, composite (plastic) stock. 30-06, but I will load to near 30-30 levels...
    Yesterday, 01:37 PM
  • Gun show today
    by fitch270
    Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
    08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
  • Beater .44 mag
    by CD2
    My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
    08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
  • Eatin ‘chuck
    by dewman
    Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
    08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
  • Parallax adj
    by CD2
    Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
    08-07-2022, 06:22 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X