Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What scope should I mount on a .338 Brown Bear? I might move a 1.5 - 5 Leopold with that 20mm objective lense from my .375? How about some advice guys? Shoka, I would really appreciate your recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
    Kody,
    You may decide to take your 375 along, so you might want to keep it scoped. No question 30mm gathers light better, but the 20mm does work. Using various brand scopes with 20mm I have taken a passel of critters in poor light, including five leopard. Here in the States 30 mm were hard to find in the old days.
    Kody,
    Thank you, that is a good story. Actually, I have hunted leopard quite a bit even though I have personally only taken five, have hunted them in many different places in many different African countries. They are a very special quarry.

Comment

You will find your new 338 to be a great caliber, but you will need to practice, the recoil takes experience. Do not sell your 300 Win Mag yet.

Comment

Kody,
        I am embarrassed. Just unlocked a gun safe and looked over my two 338s, the one with a Leupold 1.5x6 scope has a 30mm tube. Boy, I am getting old.

Comment

You will find your new 338 to be a great caliber, but you will need to practice, the recoil takes experience. Do not sell your 300 Win Mag yet.
          I am repaired to take a beating sighting it in and experimenting with loads. On those outings I take along a .22 and a lesser center fire rifles to provide a break between getting pounded by the bigger bore, if it shoots straight it's a keeper no matter how hard it kicks.

Comment

Kody,
            Don't forget to practice by dry firing, I have found that helps. As you mentioned, the 22 is good for your routine. Use shooting sticks too.

Comment

Kody,
              Don't forget to practice by dry firing, I have found that helps. As you mentioned, the 22 is good for your routine. Use shooting sticks too.
              Yep, I will pick up one of those dry fire rounds in .338 tune into one of those African wildlife shows and get in some practice

Comment

Go 30mm. You already have a .375 for close range dangerous game. Matters HOW you want to shoot the .338. I will almost bet that if you want to shoot it at distance that the ballistics between the .338 and .300 WIN mag are not that far off, and if you wanted to take it longer for hunting on a specific trip that Bushnell would work.
                Plug your data into the kestrel. That .338 will carry like a champ. Almost betting (just off of a wild-assed guess that it will carry the ballistics somewhere in between the .308 and .300 for velocity (depending on the bullet choice) and your windage will bracket much like the .300.
                But, the computer is there to do the math. Just plug and play if the mildot is in the picture.
                I love that Bushnell. May be a little much for really quick shooting, but if you have it on the LaRue Tactical Mount it comes off really quickly and holds zero if you want to use your iron sights.
                Just some crazy thoughts, but that's how I might skin that cat... good optics or iron sights.

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                  Go 30mm. You already have a .375 for close range dangerous game. Matters HOW you want to shoot the .338. I will almost bet that if you want to shoot it at distance that the ballistics between the .338 and .300 WIN mag are not that far off, and if you wanted to take it longer for hunting on a specific trip that Bushnell would work.
                  Plug your data into the kestrel. That .338 will carry like a champ. Almost betting (just off of a wild-assed guess that it will carry the ballistics somewhere in between the .308 and .300 for velocity (depending on the bullet choice) and your windage will bracket much like the .300.
                  But, the computer is there to do the math. Just plug and play if the mildot is in the picture.
                  I love that Bushnell. May be a little much for really quick shooting, but if you have it on the LaRue Tactical Mount it comes off really quickly and holds zero if you want to use your iron sights.
                  Just some crazy thoughts, but that's how I might skin that cat... good optics or iron sights.
                  That LaRue quick detachable mount would be a sweet addition. i can shoot those open sights well at limited ranges and have the other option for the longer range stuff just by slapping on the mounted scope. I will see if they are allowed to sell such high tech gear to dangerous fellows living North of Montana. ..way North!

Comment

Originally posted by the captain View Post
                    Captain, LaRue is a well managed business. They responded to my email within 24 hrs and were very helpful. No wonder they are successful
                    Thanks
                    Kody

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget