Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What scope should I mount on a .338 Brown Bear? I might move a 1.5 - 5 Leopold with that 20mm objective lense from my .375? How about some advice guys? Shoka, I would really appreciate your recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What scope should I mount on a .338 Brown Bear? I might move a 1.5 - 5 Leopold with that 20mm objective lense from my .375? How about some advice guys? Shoka, I would really appreciate your recommendation.

What scope should I mount on a .338 Brown Bear? I might move a 1.5 - 5 Leopold with that 20mm objective lense from my .375? How about some advice guys? Shoka, I would really appreciate your recommendation.

Kody,
    I own two custom 338 Win Mag which I have used extensively in North America and Africa. They both have twenty year old Leupold scopes, one is 2.5x8, the other is 1.5x6. Have had great success with both rifles and their scopes. I would not waste my time choosing one over the other. Perhaps at the range the eight power might give a little tighter groups which might help my confidence later in the field. I am not even sure of that as I have never compared them.

Comment

I took over 40 animals with one rifle everything from oribi to lion. As I recall, only two animals took two shots. A sable and a wildebeest. At that time was using 250 grain Nosler bullets. Kindest Regards

Comment

I do not have much experience with large calibers like that, so I can't really offer any suggestions about specific scopes. I'll just say that in general a 20mm objective won't transmit light very well in low-light conditions, so that might be something to consider depending on what type of hunting you'll be doing with the gun. Of course, if you've already been using that scope, you'll have a better understanding of its abilities than me.

Comment

I was looking at 1.5 -5 power scopes today. Some had 30 mm tubes so slightly larger objective lense. Interesting though, because they came with an illuminated reticle. You read my mind huntfishtrap as I expect to be hunting low light conditions at times and the light gathering aspects of the smaller lense is a concern. With the lite reticle, one was a German style with a duplex like cross hair for the most part that has an illuminated dot at centre. The other syle has a similar outside duplex but there is a small illuminated crosshair at center. Both were Leopold scopes. I my experience it does matter much if you can see the game in the scope when the crosshair has disappeared in low light. I thought this lite business was a gimmick now it seems pretty functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
            I was looking at 1.5 -5 power scopes today. Some had 30 mm tubes so slightly larger objective lense. Interesting though, because they came with an illuminated reticle. You read my mind huntfishtrap as I expect to be hunting low light conditions at times and the light gathering aspects of the smaller lense is a concern. With the lite reticle, one was a German style with a duplex like cross hair for the most part that has an illuminated dot at centre. The other syle has a similar outside duplex but there is a small illuminated crosshair at center. Both were Leopold scopes. I my experience it does matter much if you can see the game in the scope when the crosshair has disappeared in low light. I thought this lite business was a gimmick now it seems pretty functional.
            Illuminated reticles are really nice for low-light shooting. I have an IR scope on one of my air rifles, and it's awesome for taking out vermin around dusk. Also great for squirrel hunting early in the year when the woods are dark due to the heavy canopy of leaves. If you have an IR scope, you can probably get away with a small objective like that. A 30mm tube will help in light transmission too, although it can be a little challenging finding rings for it. Either way, I think you're wise to be looking at lower-powered scopes. Most people use way more magnification than they need. Forgetting your scope is set at 8x can get you killed when hunting dangerous game.

Comment

The 30mm tube is a nice touch, no question better light gathering ability. If you take an extra scope make sure you take rings to match, plus tools to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                The 30mm tube is a nice touch, no question better light gathering ability. If you take an extra scope make sure you take rings to match, plus tools to change.
                Point taken thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                  Every little bit helps, thanks for the info

Comment

Kody,
                    You may decide to take your 375 along, so you might want to keep it scoped. No question 30mm gathers light better, but the 20mm does work. Using various brand scopes with 20mm I have taken a passel of critters in poor light, including five leopard. Here in the States 30 mm were hard to find in the old days.

Comment

Take a look at the Leupold VX-3 3.5X10 50mm. I had the German #1 reticle in a Swarovski 2.2X9 that I liked a lot, or look at the Boone&Crockette which is also available illuminated.
                      This scope design has additional light gathering qualities, about $750 list.
                      Here are pictures of my Steyr Mannlicher with Swarovski 2.2X9, 30mm tube, with quick detach Steyr medium height mounts.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                        Kody,
                        You may decide to take your 375 along, so you might want to keep it scoped. No question 30mm gathers light better, but the 20mm does work. Using various brand scopes with 20mm I have taken a passel of critters in poor light, including five leopard. Here in the States 30 mm were hard to find in the old days.
                        Thanks Shoka, did you get a chance to read my post under messages and big game. It is an account of following up on a wounded leopard that i think you will enjoy
                        Kody

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          Take a look at the Leupold VX-3 3.5X10 50mm. I had the German #1 reticle in a Swarovski 2.2X9 that I liked a lot, or look at the Boone&Crockette which is also available illuminated.
                          Here are pictures of my Steyr Mannlicher with Swarovski 2.2X9, 30mm tube, with quick detach Steyr medium height mounts.
                          Thanks JHP. I want to keep the scope fairlyy compact and low so I am inclined to look at sAy 2 x 7 33 mm and some of VXR scopes Aldo the 1.5-5 x 20 as well as
                          Low mag 30 mm tube scopes. The rifle us sort and handy so something under 11" overall length in a scope seems right.

Comment

Odd, but I see that a 300 gr out of a 375 H&H has fewer ft lbs recoil than a 338 Win Mag firing a 250 gr. I thought that 375 would make me immune to the kick from 'lesser' calibers. Oh oh!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Kody, I will put up a picture of my Sawrovski 2.2X9, it is not really that big and you will be glad you had the light gathering if you take a shot at the end of legal hunting time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget