Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun slings. Thumbs up or down?

Shotgun slings. Thumbs up or down?

Depends. I carried a Mossberg 500 with a sling attached the normal way and I found it completely unsupportive. I have also carried an 870 with a sling, the kind that wraps/velcros around the butt of the stock, and found it much better. Although an older style rigging system, a good 3-point sling on a shotgun is fantastic when doing some all day small game hunting afoot; it really holds the weight well evenly on your shoulders. Personally, I like to still just hunt with a single shot H&R, light and small.

Comment

Slings are great as long as they don't slide around and keep the gun on your shoulder. I use the Quake Claw slings on my shotguns, they work great and are pretty weather resistant. Depending on the type of hunting you do it might behoove you to keep the sling on constantly or remove it after carrying the shotgun in (ie inside of your lay out blind). They don't really get in the way and won't throw you off, I've used them on both my pump and semi, doesn't effect the cycling of a pump. Hope this helps.

Comment

I use a sling for deer hunting but not for waterfowl.

Comment

Definitely thumbs up in some situations. Such as deer and turkey hunting. They are also nice if it is a long walk back to vehicle when upland hunting.

Comment

I've never used one on a shotgun, but they are great for people who may struggle with the weight of carrying a gun all day. I would probably use a sling if I shotgun hunted for deer a lot.

Comment

Thumbs up all the way for turkey hunting. The sling on my 870 gets a lot of use when I'm chasing gobblers, spring or fall, and I've never found that it gets in the road when I use the gun for waterfowl either.

Comment

I use a sling when I have a long walk and extra stuff to carry, like when hunting turkeys, doves or waterfowl. I'll take it off when I hunt upland game. I have the Uncle Mike's quick release swivels and use the same sling for multiple guns.

Comment

I've been busted several times by surprise birds with the shotgun slung on my shoulder near the end of a long day after chukar. Now I sling it over my left shoulder with the gun in front, ready for a rapid response.

Comment

I sling mine to the blind and back. Mine comes off easily.

Comment

I sling mine to the blind and back. Mine comes off easily.

Comment

Hi...

When I'm hunting...I want that gun to be in my hands at all times...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X