Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ammo Hoarding? How much ammo on your shelf defines you as a hoarder? Or when do you cross the hoarder line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Hoarding? How much ammo on your shelf defines you as a hoarder? Or when do you cross the hoarder line?

Ammo Hoarding? How much ammo on your shelf defines you as a hoarder? Or when do you cross the hoarder line?

Charlie,
    I think its a complicated question. On some ammo such as my .270WSM I have less than 200 rounds, but it's probably more than I'll personally put through it. Similarly for the .30-.30.
    In .22lr and common semi-auto cartridges, who knows? I easily burn through more than a thousand rounds of .22 in a year, which is going up now that my kids are getting into the swing. I feel like as periodic shortages have shown, a couple of years of normal use, which varies by the person, is just prudent. You should have whatever makes you comfortable and enough for whatever use you envision. Frankly, if everyone had a year or so of supply on their shelves, there wouldn't be these big panic runs when an event occurs.

Comment

-If you're buying ammunition for guns that you don't even own
      -If you're buying more ammunition than you could even shoot.
      -If you have a room in your house reserved for ammunition
      -If you are buying every round a store has in stock within 5 minutes of the store being open
      Another problem with .22LR ammunition is that some people will buy any of the big boxes in stock so that they can go onto a site like gunbroker and mark the price up for personal profit.

Comment

I think buying ammo when you won't use it in the forseeable future (unless it's on sale for a really great price or something like that) makes you a hoarder. It's not so much about how much you own than about how much you own relative to how much you use. For instance, on a previous thread I stated that I have close to 1,000 rounds of .22LR. That might seem like hoarding to some people, but I know I can/will use it up within a few years. And most of that figure consists of two 550-round bulk packs I bought back when the shortage was first getting bad. I haven't purchased any more .22LR since, and that was almost 2 years ago.
        My brother-in-law (who is more than a bit of an ammo hoarder himself, I will admit) knows a guy who doesn't hunt, doesn't shoot, and as far as I know doesn't even own a gun. But as of last year, he had bought at least 50,000 rounds of .22LR, intending to resell it for a profit at some point down the road when prices were inflated. This is the kind of behavior that I find irritating, to put it mildly.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
          There are people like the man you described(50,000+ rounds, etc) that honestly think that they need that many. Pretty disturbing to me.

Comment

All great responses to a question that is pretty hard to answer. I buy cases when I can get a price break, but I rarely have more shells on hand than I can use in a season or two. Before the .22 LR shortage, it wouldn't be rare at all to go through a thousand rounds in a family weekend. Now, our .22's haven't been shot since last season. We'll put a few through them to make sure they are still on, but we need to save what we have for hunting. I have a huge problem with greedy people who make a bad situation even worse on the chance they can make a buck or two. Even if you aren't after a profit but still buy shells you don't need, you are also contributing to the problem.

Comment

As much as I still stick with my initial answer, it's pretty easy to see how people start hanging onto it almost as a form of currency. It's more practical than postage stamps or trans-ams/camaros. Anything you don't shoot, or don't feel you need in case of emergency, you can sell. It doesn't have to be at excessive prices, but ammo certainly hasn't been depreciating.
              I'll admit that since this last shortage hit I've bartered some ammo with friends for things as simple as small livestock and some old power tools that they were looking to get rid of. I don't see why that's a problem.

Comment

Every time the subject of ammo shortages comes up, hoarding is pointed to as the main cause. All this got me to wondering if I'm a hoarder. Not so long ago, at the end of hunting season I would make the rounds of stores to pick all the ammo they had on sale which I would use "someday". Suddenly all I found were empty shelves. So now I buy a few boxes whenever I can, assuming the price is... Well depends how much I have in reserve.
                Judging by all the good answers here; nearly all of us hoard to a degree. The exact definition is probably in the eye of the beholder.
                Would "speculator" be a better description of those who buy and resell at high prices?

Comment

Charlie,
                  I think it's the profiteering aspect that gets people's goat. I've got enough ammo that I've stopped looking, but I have what I want and I'm conscious to have some to pass around. There's still some folks out there who are casual shooters who are being shocked when they go to buy .22 for the first time in years and can't find it. I'm not sitting on tens of thousands of rounds of ammo, but at the same time I've offered some to people, as gifts or at cost, who were looking to take their kids out and I've spoken to a member of the local Scout council to let me know if he has a troop that's having trouble finding enough for qualifying.
                  I think it comes down to motivation.
                  It could also be that I fail to properly diagnose my disease. Nah..

Comment

"take their kids out" not "take their kids off"
                    Focus Carlin, focus.
                    Oh right, we can edit now.

Comment

I don't consider myself as a hoarder. I have 100+ rds of .45 and 9mm, about 50 rds of .357 (which I need more of) and slightly more than 600 rds of .22. For shotguns less than a box of 20 and 12 ga but I don't shoot either that much. The only reason I have so little of the .45 and 9mm is you can't hunt squirrels with them and have something left to eat. All of this fits my need for ammo but I will still pick up .22 wherever and whenever I can.

Comment

Ozark,

By comparison, I'd be a hoarder. In your situation I'd be thinking "the cupboard is bare". At some point in life I started noticing that all of the elders in our family had good sized stockpiles of canned and dried food around the house. Compared to how I grew up, as a kid I always thought it was odd. When I got a little older and had a grasp of history, I realized it was because they had experienced hunger. Be prepared.
                        At the same point, you can bring home a lot of meat with 600 rounds of .22lr, so it might be you're better off than I am. Happy hunting.

Comment

jcarlin, my parents survived the Great Depression so I know about stocking up and using every scrap until there was not a scrap left. When my Dad passed we threw away a wooden barrel of mop and broom handles that he had saved over the years just in case he needed them. That is to explain that I feel comfortable with the amounts of ammo I have on hand and see no need to get more, with the exception of .357 mag and .22. Hopefully in a few weeks I can get some more of each of those.

Comment

In another post I mentioned how I complain to Big Box store managers how they never have any .22's. They all say the same, it is gone in minutes after we put it out. That is when I suggest they not put it all out at once. Maybe put some out in the AM, Some around mid day and some in the evening so everyone has a chance at getting some. They seem receptive to the idea.

Comment

There is no ammo hoarding. That is called "preparation." Ammo will be one type of new currency if S hits the fan. If someone makes more money than they could ever spend, we don't hear people saying that they are money hoarders.

There are those who are "Gougers," however. Gougers are the low-lifes that buy up the ammo and sell it for double and triple its value in times of plenty and non-emergency. I think gougers are the main reason the shelves are empty.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                              • Now That's Service
                                by jhjimbo
                                Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                                Yesterday, 07:57 PM
                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                09-19-2020, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X