Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 3+ years still cannot find a good supply of 22 ammo. Are we witnessing the death/obsolesce of the 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 3+ years still cannot find a good supply of 22 ammo. Are we witnessing the death/obsolesce of the 22?

After 3+ years still cannot find a good supply of 22 ammo. Are we witnessing the death/obsolesce of the 22?

I know what you mean charlie. I have been trying to find subsonic HPs for my rifle and shotshells for shooting vermin around the place, and I have had no luck. I didn't think the shortage would last this long back when it started, and I don't see an end in sight. The only thing that I could possibly see alleviating it would be if a Republican is elected president in 2016. If a Democrat is elected, particularly Hillary Clinton, then I don't think the shortage will ease in the forseeable future. The .22 is so popular and widespread that I don't think the caliber will die or become obsolete, unless the shortage somehow never ends, but I definitely think it could become less popular, especially in relation to other, more available alternatives. On a related note to that, I recently purchased a high powered .22 caliber PCP air rifle, partially because of the difficulty/expense of finding .22 LR ammo. I have been very happy with it, and it's nearly the equal of the .22 LR in terms of accuracy and power, while being much quieter and cheaper to shoot. Plus, you can actually find .22 airgun pellets pretty much whenever you want, unlike the .22 LR.
    So something like that might be an option for someone who's fed up with not being able to find .22 ammo, if the initial expense is in their budget.

Comment

.22LR will probably be my favorite caliber until the day I die. It would just be a bit more exciting if I could find the ammunition to shoot it every now and then!

Comment

I never thought the most widely available ammunition would become nearly impossible to find. I can't imagine there are too many folks who own guns that don't have at least one chambered for this round. I can't see that it will ever become obsolete, but it is becoming very frustrating to own several at this point. My wife got a new Henry almost a year ago and we can't shoot it because all of our plinking rounds are gone and all we have left are our hunting ammo. Squirrels open here in less than two weeks, so those shells had just as well be gold.

Comment

Hi...

Altough I haven' receved ther catalog in over two months (change of address), The Sportsman'a Guide frequently had some for sale. Has anyone checked then out recently...??

Comment

Hi...

I just checked The Sportsman's Guide, and they indicated that as of the day the catalog came out, they had .22 longs and .22 shorts...!!

Comment

Hey all!
              I haven't been on Outdoor Life for a very long time! I've been on Field and Stream (Allot more action over there.) Any way I was put up a post over there asking for Charlie Elk, and nobody replied. I didn't know where he went. I just now when on this sight and saw his post and realized he's on this sight. Has anything big happened since I was gone? Did they update this sight? On F&S they updated the sight and it's quite a bit better!
              It's good to "See" you all again!
              Seth

Comment

Hi Seth, I've been wondering where you went too. I saw your comment on my blog www.charlieelk.com a while back. I spend more time here on OL but there are times when I become a ghost on this site too. The ghost will takeover about mid Sept when turkey season opens. Vic the turkey dog and I will be out chasing them. Then there's grouse, woodcock, pheasants and oh yeah deer. So much to hunt so little time.
                I have made a few comments recently on F&S, just thought I'd check them out a little.
                Thanks for looking for me.

Comment

What's your name on F&S?

Comment

Bob, thanks for pointing out Sportsman Guide, I had forgotten about them. They have LR box of 50 for $8.54 in their own brand. At least that's something to shoot. That price still gives me a bit of sticker shock but it is looking like we have to get used to it.
                    The other thing I've wondered, in land of entrepreneurs why have more new ammo manufacturers not entered the business?

Comment

charlie elk everywhere I go Seth. Although someday, perhaps sooner rather than later a lot folks are going to know who is charlie elk- LOL

Comment

I'm not paying 8 and a half bucks for a 50-round box of .22 shells. That's freaking highway robbery. I have close to 1,000 rounds left in my cache, so I'm good for the time being anyway.
                        My brother has a buddy who works in a Bass Pro store in Illinois, and he said every time they get an ammo shipment in all the .22 LR sells out before noon the same day. And he said it's always the same group of people lining up to snap it up too, which means they're probably hoarding it, either out of paranoria or for resale.

Comment

It looks to me like you can find most any type of ammunition you want, except 22. I don't understand this hoarding of 22 ammo but I hope it winds down soon. I've got about 200 rounds so I can get by for a while.

Comment

I agree on the price hft, for a few dollars more some center fire ammo can be bought. As dsmbirddog noticed it's same around here. Plus it's a lot more fun to shoot with a bigger bang.
                            New shooters I meet at the range are shooting their 9's and 40's rather than the nice 22's they tell me about back in the cabinet.
                            I just picked up 6 boxes of 50; 44 mag for $14 each and they can be reloaded for about $9.50. With 22 at $8.50 per 50, let me think which I prefer to shoot.
                            This is why I'm starting to wonder if the 22 is going to fade away?

Comment

Charlie, your comment reminded me of Yogi Berra's comment about a restaurant: "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded." There's no way that the .22LR is going to go away because of the ammo issue. It's just too in demand and the problem is us—or at least those of us who are hoarding the stuff. Until shooters stop acting on the urge to snap up every round the moment it lands on the store shelf, we are going to be in this pickle.
                              The ammo makers are producing and shipping more .22s than ever, but this self-created "shortage" continues to feed on itself. At some point this dynamic is bound to fizz out, but it is impossible to say when purchasing .22s and other rimfires is going to return to normal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                                by fitch270
                                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                                Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                              • Grips and stocks
                                by dewman
                                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                                Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                              • Youth pheasant hike
                                by fitch270
                                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X