Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok outdoor enthusiasts. I'm looking for a QUALITY, EASY to use, FUNCTIONAL GPS. It doesn't have to be God's gift to GPS units bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok outdoor enthusiasts. I'm looking for a QUALITY, EASY to use, FUNCTIONAL GPS. It doesn't have to be God's gift to GPS units bu

Ok outdoor enthusiasts. I'm looking for a QUALITY, EASY to use, FUNCTIONAL GPS. It doesn't have to be God's gift to GPS units but rugged and has all the functions that a real hunter would use and appreciate. I would like it with the expandable memory with pretty good capabilities for highly detailed maps if I'm ever in an area where I want that level of detail. Oh and I want all that for around $150-200. Any strong suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

I think an Etrex Legend maybe be in that price range now. I purchased one on Ebay which has a monochrome screen. (They offer color screen now)for $60.00. The $150-$200.00 price range might really be limiting you. I'm assuming that you're talking about a handheld unit?

Comment

Yes, handheld unit. I guess from the research I've been doing I believe that's going to be the price range of units that will have the features I'm looking for. If there's cheaper stuff out there that really does the job, I'm all ears. Just want to get something that I won't feel so limited with and has potential to do more than I might use it for regularly.

Comment

What are you going to be using it for? If it's for the thwarting of the presence of my old friend/foe Murphy, I have found he will either lose the batteries or drain the power from all battery powered devices, when you are not looking. If it is just for fun and games, go for it and good luck.
        That is my way of saying I never trust my life to any battery powered device out in the boonies, Murphy always hangs out there waiting for me.

Comment

Garmin puts out a bunch of units that might suit your needs. But in all honesty for GPS units it's all about figuring out how to use it, don't spend extra on something that has features tailored to you specific use, with easy buttons and pathways, alot of them work the same and do the same thing it's just you need to find out the varying button combinations to make it do what you want. For example almost all GPS units take waypoints, but some models make you hit buttons and go through two or three screens to do it while others can take waypoints automatically with a push of one button.

Comment

For the price a Garmin Etrex HC. High sensitivity so you can use it in a heavy canopy (woods). I have one and really glad I spent the money ($170+tax). I have several Garmin Rino 110s and 120s - problem is that the low sensitivity is a problem in bad weather and heavy canopies.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I'm getting closer. What Yoda said makes a lot of sense. I don't need to pay the extra money for simplicity, just need to take the time to learn how to use the one I get. Which is as important as anything that a person counts on to keep them safe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X