Truck box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck box

So the Kid has been wanting a tool box for his truck bed but we didn’t want to spend the money on an aluminum one and for some reason was dead set against the poly style. Pretty much left us with building one ourselves.

I’d bought the lumber over a week ago and it sat in the garage until he wrapped up some handy man projects he’d promised some folks he’d do over the summer. We got to it this weekend before he left this morning, I’m not sure the paint was fully dry but it is what it is. After a bunch of measuring, some not so straight cuts and a lot of head scratching on how to get it fastened down we ended up with a functional if not so finely crafted result. The bed of his truck isn’t set up for bolting things in. There are a pair of loops for tie downs both towards the front and rear but that’s all there is. Because the outer quarter panels are plastic and the box steel there’s a just plastic trim piece on the top that doesn’t have structural integrity. What we ended up doing was to loop nylon webbing through the tie downs that we then ran a bolt through and nutted off inside the box. You could cut the webbing to get the box out but I doubt anyone will bother. He’s not storing anything in there that he’d regret having stolen and the box doesn’t slide out all that easy. The straps just keep it secured.

Two lockable compartments, sealed with weatherstripping tape that passed several hard rain tests today. Chain stops to keep the lid from contact with the back window and a support to hold the lid open so you don’t have to hold it. The bottom sits up on treated 2x4’s to keep it out of the slush that will end up in the bed this winter. Made out of treated plywood as well. Might have a couple other tweaks but it turned out decent doesn’t look out of place in the old pickup. Main thing it gives him some storage space in the regular cab pickup.

Sorry no pics of the inside, we were in a bit of a rush this morning.

E9E4EFBF-8270-4004-8EAD-D3261A058B8E.jpg

Maybe some hard wired LED lights on the inside for 'lunimation?

Comment

And might as well put one on the outside for the rest of the bed.
      Last edited by Amflyer; 08-22-2022, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Amflyer; A little different angle but you can see the cargo lamps built in with the third brake light. The lid might block some light but it sits lower when opened so it should work somewhat.

FC5C14D3-B796-45A9-8F6F-988CD553A9C5.jpg

But you got me thinking that a holster or Velcro pad of some sort might be handy in there to secure a decent flashlight. It hadn’t occurred to me that he doesn’t have a good one, instead he uses either his phone or a headlamp. He really should have one in the truck somewhere.

Comment

A decent light source can be a real life saver.
          My youngest gets some really nic and LEO hand held (flash) lights.
          One was powered by "1,2,3" (?) batteries. An absolutely brilliant light, but the batteries were hyper expensive and their life was short!

I've got one of those little velcro lights that resembles a light switch that attaches to the lining of your safe.
          I can't remember to turn the crazy thing off. 🤪

With wooden boxes, those little stick on lights that you just "bump" to turn on and off might work well under the lids.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ope...44401962&psc=1
          Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-23-2022, 06:03 PM.

Comment

FB; that was my first thought after reading ‘flyer’s post but I doubt they’d hold up to our winters. But a regular flashlight he could keep in the cab with a way to mount it to the inside for hands free use could work pretty slick and give him versatility as well.

He took a few basic tools, a couple small tarps, some bungees and a few other odds and ends. I offered him a set of jumper cables we keep in the garage and warned him about jumping newer vehicles. We got him AAA but may send the cables after Thanksgiving anyway.

Been kicking around all kinds of ideas on what he could keep in there but the idea was to have empty space available for temporary use, not to supply him with a service vehicle.

Still open to suggestions though.

Comment

He needs emergency equipment.

For instance, I would suggest a small vial of a low price gin, an even smaller one of vermouth, some freeze dried olives and an old rusty tin can.

If he gets hopelessly lost, perhaps in a howling New York snowstorm, have him pour one jigger of the gin into the can, add just an angel's kiss of vermouth, two olives and a health dollop of clean(ish) snow.

As he is shaking the concoction, someone will inevitably show up behind him, shaking their head and tsk-tsking:

"Well that's a helluva way to make a martini..."

And then he's not lost anymore.

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                He needs emergency equipment.

For instance, I would suggest a small vial of a low price gin, an even smaller one of vermouth, some freeze dried olives and an old rusty tin can.

If he gets hopelessly lost, perhaps in a howling New York snowstorm, have him pour one jigger of the gin into the can, add just an angel's kiss of vermouth, two olives and a health dollop of clean(ish) snow.

As he is shaking the concoction, someone will inevitably show up behind him, shaking their head and tsk-tsking:

"Well that's a helluva way to make a martini..."

And then he's not lost anymore.

You're welcome.
                Sounds like the voice of experience speaking.

Do you have to use freeze dried olives or can we substitute with our dehydrator instead?

And will a tetanus shot be required if he celebrates his rescue by downing the martini?

Comment

Dehydrated will work in a pinch.

PS: Talley rings and Montana sling come in for the new rifle tomorrow from MidwayUsa

Comment

If he's not a Martini fan, may I suggest a deck of cards?
                    Anytime you find yourself hopelessly lost, sit down and start playing Solitaire.
                    SOME know-it-all so and so will magically appear and tell you how to play!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      If he's not a Martini fan, may I suggest a deck of cards?
                      Anytime you find yourself hopelessly lost, sit down and start playing Solitaire.
                      SOME know-it-all so and so will magically appear and tell you how to play!
                      That Jack will play on the queen, right dere...

Comment

Honest fitch270, it doesn't matter WHAT you put in a tool box, it will always:
                        1) not the tool you really, REALLY need to get you back on the road
                        2) there isn't room to put everything you deem necessary
                        3) that little pieces/part you need will be burrowed up underneath you really didn't need to begin with.

There is NO way to prepare for all eventualities. But you don't need me to tell you that! LOL!

I can't remember how many times I've needed some two bit "gee-gaw" or "gizmo" or thing-a-ma-jig" to get me going!
                        ...and the times I had some "nickel ninetyeight" "wha'cha macallit" got me down the road.

Was churning along in my '73 Olds Cutlass when it just "quit". No warning. Just like turning off the key!
                        The problem ended up being the little plastic node that rode on the cam and broke the points open.
                        In the console was a horseshoe nail I'd picked up out of my dad's shoeing box.
                        In the glovebox was a roll of black electrical tape.
                        I cut the head off the horse shoe nail and taped it to the arm to replace the node.
                        It ran pretty rough, but it got me to the next town and an auto parts store.

I'd also toss in a fuse assortment and a roll of electrical wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                          Dehydrated will work in a pinch.

PS: Talley rings and Montana sling come in for the new rifle tomorrow from MidwayUsa
                          Nice. Got loads together yet?

Been trying to talk the Kid into a black Montana sling for his 700. Think it would look good with the black/grey synthetic stock but he ain’t having it, wants to stick with the reddish brown one on it already.

Comment

FB; not surprisingly he’s kinda getting his own ideas about what and how he wants things. See my comment above. It will probably get worse before it gets better, lol.

We hear there may be a way for him to keep firearms out there, still looking into it. Early goose season opens soon and one of the guys he’s befriended already is into waterfowl hunting. I reminded his mother that he’s now of age where if he wants to he can stroll into any LGS and walk out the door with any long gun they can sell. He keeps mentioning Benelli SBE’s…….

He’d have some explaining to do to his mother.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Nice. Got loads together yet?
                              Not yet, but plan on doing the H4895 60% trick and titrating the loads to about 2500-2600 fps with a Hornady 150 SP.

Also putting together a antler handled Bowie knife with the youngest. He found the shed on a hike in Colorful Colorado, and when I told him we could make a knife with it, he thought that would be pretty cool. Bought a semi-finished blank from amazon.

Also cut and glued inserts for some new arrows for youngest son last weekend.

Last night was first trap league, the 15 year and I shot my reloads. They shot well.

I'm feeling pretty Artsy and Crafty these days.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget