Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

As always, safe travels!
    You too kind sir and safe travels to you.

Tell the "Kid" old Bubba says, "Hey!". 😉

Comment

Teaser for now.

B85E1CE9-D147-4BB0-8EA7-8050ADEBEB98.jpg

Comment

Had a good day at the show with the Kid, spent about five hours there total with an hour for lunch on site. Mostly the same old, same old but got our hands on a few things for comparison and did bring home a scope for my old Western Field .243. Needed a replacement after pulling the Leupold Vari-X iic 3-9x40 for my BDL .270.

Found a gloss Redfield Widefield 2x7 in great condition. Ended up paying $115 for it which fell in nicely between the Bushnell Sportview type and older Leupold Vari-X scopes I’d been considering. The goal was something mostly period correct that wasn’t beat to death and hopefully functioning. I didn’t want to invest much into it as the gun is just an early 70’s economy rifle and probably won’t get used all that much. One other criteria was being able to reinstall the rear sight with the scope mounted, which was part of the reason I pulled the Leupold. The empty dovetail slot looked terrible and the Uncle Mike’s dovetail filler wasn’t much better. When I saw the condition of this Redfield I was done searching.

870DB793-81D4-4713-A4C1-9A886F6C776D.jpg

Mounted in medium height Burris gloss rings it looks a bit high but the cheek weld is good. The glass is surprisingly decent and the duplex reticle is nicely done, the only thing negative is the eye box isn’t very forgiving but in this case it’s an acceptable trade off.

46529955-F1E5-4348-B315-8C0B04922A82.jpg

57AB3D79-E06E-4C96-AB8F-4838BBE6C7F0.jpg

Scope would have worked just fine with the rear sight except for one little problem. When I went to drift it back in I managed to slip with the punch and smacked either the hinge or the V portion and broke the sucker. So add another $40 or so to I the project after I get one ordered from Numrich Gun Parts. Online search shows they have new replacement ones.

This thing never really was a tack driver but I still managed to kill a few deer and a bunch of woodchucks with it. It has a 1-10 twist barrel and I’ve always used 100 gr soft points of some variety. I’m going to load uo some 85gr Sierra HPBT’s and see how they do on paper. If I get a noticeable improvement in accuracy I’ll likely give the rig an opportunity to fill a doe tag. The other option is to have my daughter try it out and see if she likes it better than the Rem 700 .243. Should fit her better at least.

Last edited by fitch270; 09-18-2022, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Passed on a couple semiauto shotguns once again. Since the Kid hasn’t started waterfowl hunting on his own he’s being patient about looking. He really wants a Super Black Eagle of some flavor but so far they’ve been out of “our” price range. I say that because he could afford one himself but would have to explain it to his mother. It’s starting to look like a Franchi Affinity may be the backup plan.

I considered two rifles for my daughter, this one wasn’t on my radar but may be a decent option.

13AA1BD1-FD2A-4C50-8A88-F3F6789F7DA1.jpg

The one in the middle is a Weatherby Vanguard Compact Blue. There were two dealers with both 6.5 Creeds priced about MSRP. Cash deal would have been doable but as intriguing as the chambering is it was an easy pass since I’m well set up for both .243win and 7mm-08rem and have nothing on hand for the Creed. We have two .243’s and two .270’s in the safe so another 7mm/08 might be just the ticket.

Also had my hands on a Model 7 .243 made in 1965 if I had the date code correct. Blond stock with Schnabel fore end and a chromed bolt handle. It was in decent shape but didn’t really jump out at me. Close but not quite.

Comment

What a day!
            I'm smilin' ear to ear!

Thanks for the memories!

Comment

Maybe something here will interest you. girardauction.com

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                Maybe something here will interest you. girardauction.com
                Wish this was closer.

https://www.girardbid.com/servlet/Se...?auctionId=968

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  They ship, but not powder or primers. And another in the last week of October. Check the main page for the Ammo and Camo online auctions that precede the gun festival.
                  Last edited by franchi20; 09-21-2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

They ship, but not powder or primers. And another in the last week of October. Check the main page for the Ammo and Camo online auctions that precede the gun festival.
                    I quickly looked at the Ammo and Camo that ended today. I should go back to see what stuff went for.

Shipping ends up pushing the prices too high unless you get really lucky or want something bad enough. I still like watching how things go. These online deals are a hoot when the last minute bids start pouring in adding time to the clock. Almost impossible to follow if you’re trying to keep track of multiple items at once.

Comment

The price of ammo is entertaining for me. People must be desperate for certain calibers, 22-250 in particular. Surprisingly, l found. 45 ACP on sale at Midway, much less than it sells for on auction sites.

Comment

More better…..

6F95D83D-3159-4852-8EAD-E06DF86862C1.jpg

DCBBD08C-0529-4FDE-AFD1-F64F32B1B32D.jpg

298AF823-A1DA-4157-AD06-709E1495740E.jpg

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget