Gun show today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun show today

Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter and I came across something really tempting that I can’t quite figure out.

Sitting on a table with a bunch of typically worn and overpriced blued steel and walnut specimens was a camo synthetic Rem 700 SPS. What made it more noticeable was the fluted, stainless barrel that was mated to the matte blue receiver. Sitting on top was a matte Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 in an unknown but decent looking set of rings. When I picked it up to my shoulder I realized it was a compact model. Not light but not heavy the thing felt great. Tag said ER Shaw barrel, maybe not top shelf but possibly there was other work done along with the barrel swap. Price was $950. I’m running the numbers in my head, couple hundred for the scope, few bucks for rings, extra for the hinged floor plate, Stock nothing special but had a good thick factory pad. Nice looking flutes, 20” tube that balances well in the short stock. Part of me is thinking this thing would be absolutely perfect. Just one slight problem, it’s chambered in .250 Savage. Now for my daughter that could make a decent match of power to recoil. The downside is feeding the thing. Even if I get the guy to come down on price I’m looking at a minimum of having to find brass, dies and bullets. I’m thinking maybe I can use that to work the guy over on price but in the back of my mind I’m afraid he might just take me up on or near a lowball offer.

This seems to be a pattern with me. Almost every show has something a little out of the ordinary that’s temping as #&!!. Very cool little gun, but who chambers a cheap factory synthetic with a stainless fluted barrel in .250 Savage???

I’m not going to talk about the two gloss scopes I probably should have bought.

Never be surprised to see what people will do. The 250 was probably an unfinished custom project that the guy got bored with or something more interesting came along. If you want to make a special gun for your daughter just cut the stock of her rifle to fit her then shorten the barrel to balance it or bring the weight slightly back.
    In this day and time the 250 Savage, though excellent, is too obscure to be a practical choice
    Last edited by dewman; 08-15-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Wanted to add you never know though. Walked into Walmart this morning and they had brand new Remington 2022 production 222 in stock
      Last edited by dewman; 08-15-2022, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Wanted to add you never know though. Walked into Walmart this morning and they had brand new Remington 2022 production 222 in stock
        Did you catch a price and was it loaded with the new tipped Core-Lokt?

I’ve considered having the .243 worked over but the problem is I don’t have the tools or talent to do the stock work to my satisfaction and don’t know of a gunsmith to do the barrel work. Besides that the Boyd’s laminate is a bit on the thick side, to get it right it really should be thinned down properly. Not to mention the barrel only has about 30 rounds through it. To really do it up proper like I’d be more than halfway into a replacement money wise. What I really need to do is bring her along when I’m looking.

Comment

Check out a Mossberg patriot super bantam. Believe the shells are tipped corelokts. Around $31 a box

Comment

Thanks. Price isn’t horrible I guess.

The Kid is stocked up on handloads but I might pick up a box or two of factory .222 just for comparison, if I run across any. I did pick up some 50gr Ballistic Tips for both the .222 and .22-250 but currently don’t have dies or suitable powder for his rifle. The loads that came with his 788 were all FMJ or hollow points, nothing tipped so I’d like to see what they’ll do.

Comment

IIRC they did 250 Rem 7600 in .250 Sav and 300.in .300 Sav......talking satin walnut. Saw one a few yrs ago for 900. Like an idiot i didn't buy it.

250 savage.......no big deal. Buy 100 or 200.cases and dies and dont sweat it.

Dunhams had factory Rem ammo about 3 yrs ago, but it was 40 bucks a box. And they sold it LOL
              Last edited by CD2; 08-15-2022, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Ruger Number 1 RSI or A in .250 savage .....didnt they just do a stainless one last yr or so?

For a reloader dude thatd be a dandy deer rig.

Comment

If brass is the sticker, you could run the more ubiquitous 22-250 through a FL sizer and use that.

Comment

The "parent" case of the .250-3000 Savage or .250 Savage is the .30-06 Spgfld.
                    There are a world of cartridges out there that can be reformed to .250 Savage.....so cases aren't a problem.
                    Dies, other than expense, shouldn't be a problem.

Then there are bullets, primers and powder....but those are problems regardless of the caliber these days.

Comment

At the risk of hijacking the thread - I plan to be at a knife and gun show in Escanaba on Labor Day weekend. They're having an antique tractor show as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                        If brass is the sticker, you could run the more ubiquitous 22-250 through a FL sizer and use that.
                        Yeah, that occurred to me but having a .22-250 in the stable I’m a bit hesitant to mix headstamps. Not so much for me but to avoid any issues with others in the house, especially my daughter who isn’t as into the nuts and bolts aspect of this stuff.

I’ll admit I started looking for dies there. There’s a big show coming up in Syracuse, if I go and run into it again I’ll probably quiz the guy up on its history. I have spare scopes, pulling the Leupold might be an angle on getting the price down.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                          At the risk of hijacking the thread - I plan to be at a knife and gun show in Escanaba on Labor Day weekend. They're having an antique tractor show as well.
                          That sounds like a fun time. Give us a report afterwards.

Comment

Yeah, that occurred to me but having a .22-250 in the stable I’m a bit hesitant to mix headstamps
                            Good point. Although other than reloading cases, when it should be pretty easy to catch at the bullet seating stage, I don't really look at headstamps. Maybe I should.

I have 25-06, 270, 30-06 and 35 Whelen I shoot with misstamped brass. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Good point. Although other than reloading cases, when it should be pretty easy to catch at the bullet seating stage, I don't really look at headstamps. Maybe I should.

I have 25-06, 270, 30-06 and 35 Whelen I shoot with misstamped brass. So far, so good.
                              Once I’m a bit more comfortable with my handloading routine I’d be more inclined to use whatever worked as needed. I’m still getting storage figured out at this point even. Just trying not to get ahead of myself really. I should have started this years ago.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget