Keep ‘em or send ‘em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    Tossing out something that means nothing to you that might have value to family/friends down the road strikes me as selfish. I believe passing time the only way to be sure if it was worth saving or not.
    To be clear, I AM NOT A PACK RAT!
    Yeah, I figure even if he tosses these down the line he’ll still get a kick out of looking through them one last time.

Comment

I remember the surge of nostalgia that hit back in the 70's when people started digging out and finding value in old comic books and baseball cards. To this day, you will find many more repro Sears 1907 catalogs than Sears ever printed in 1907.

Comment

Repro tin advertising signs are big at gun shows, I always look but never buy.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Repro tin advertising signs are big at gun shows, I always look but never buy.
          Tin signs. Did someone say tin signs? 7C156AB1-9F5E-41CC-8978-05316403B895.jpg

Comment

Now thats clean and orderly. Nice pic 👍

I like old things, have a 1st edition of The Woodchuck Hunter. Used to run a chrome beam Herters scale.

Dont have a reloading bench set up since I moved. Kids college crap hogging much of my garage.
            Shes like her mom, never throws anything away s d buys more old crap for supposed resale......hoarders.

My rule.....pick it up becaus if I trip over it it's gone.

Yeah, I ordered EGW base and rings for the Savage.
            Get my chores done in time and escape to the range this weekend.

Comment

My ol lady grew up poor and later on in life worked in an antique store. Yeah, never throws anything away and buys more old crap nobody else buys LOL
              Last edited by CD2; 07-12-2022, 09:44 PM.

Comment

The only sign i want is like the old one on a telephone pole.....seen for 35 years on my way to a F&W area ( was old sign when i first spotted it )......

Its gone now 😔

"Get US out of the United Nations".

Have not found one exactly like it, but similar and original have a few hundred on asking price.
                Last edited by CD2; 07-12-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Ain’t that the truth. There were even a few years I’d give page and product numbers to people for Christmas ideas when they’d ask. No returns needed.😉

On a similar side track, remember mailing off a check with the catalog order form and then having to wait weeks for the package to arrive? Good lord, how did we manage?
                  I have spent hours with a "Sperry & Hutchinson" catalog!
                  That's where I got my first fly rod and reel!
                  I spent HOURS at the kitchen table fitting "S&H" green stamps into those little books and mailing them out off.
                  They shipped it to the local REA (Railway Express Agency) down at the local depot. The REA guy knew my dad and carried it over and gave it to him!
                  I had a blast with that rig, catching half dollar sized bream and perch.

Dad and mr had been out shoeing horses
                  We drove by a bait shop. Talked dad into getting me a half dozen big (3" or 4") shiner minnows.
                  When he asked me what I wanted them for, I told him I had been seeing some BIG bass in our pond.
                  "Boy, I can eat anything you catch down there in one sitting!"
                  I figured he was probably right, but I wanted to try.

Fly rod in hand, I tied a perch hook on with no sinker, hooked one of those big shiners just behind the dorsal fin and flipped him into the water.
                  I DID NOT have to wait long!
                  No idea how big they were. The first one was probably +-4 pounds. The next one about 2 or 3 pounds!

Guess what?
                  Pop did his best, but he, mom and me had fish left over! We couldn't eat it all!

Good times!
                  Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-12-2022, 10:14 PM.

Comment

This post and the comments contained within are why I keep coming back here. In fact this post/comments have the very ring of nostalgia the op alludes to. Well done. Stay safe. 👍🏻👍🏻

Comment

FWIW, the family shack in town was a Sears mail order kit from the catalog. Not that it was done by us, Dad bought it for immediate need shelter. There's another one in the wide spot we call town around the general store.

Comment

I have checked Ebay and when drug to various antique stores keep an eye out for.....

The old yellow box Hawbakers cherry muskrat lure. Aint found one yet.

Was what I used back in HS trappin muskrats

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Ah CD2 I miss your cheer and sunshine😳 Can I assume by your lack of cheer you haven't gotten the 30mm rings yet so you can shoot your Savage 22? Anxious to know how your 12x SWFA works out. Stay safe.
                          FWIW my first wife felt the same way about our marriage. Now she's 62, thrice divorced, and alone out in Arizona. Want her number? I'm sure the broom she flies could make good time and if she aggravates you just throw water on her. I am on year 34 with the second.
                          Thanks for the info LOL.
                          I cant get the one i have to leave, and sure dont want another ( unless she has at least 200 acres of good deer ground ). You know " Big tracts of land " ( Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference).

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
                            FWIW, the family shack in town was a Sears mail order kit from the catalog. Not that it was done by us, Dad bought it for immediate need shelter. There's another one in the wide spot we call town around the general store.

You mean the houses they used to sell?
                            A guy on 24hr Campfire posted pics of one not long ago, I had no idea they existed before seeing the thread.

Comment

You mean the houses they used to sell?
                              A guy on 24hr Campfire posted pics of one not long ago, I had no idea they existed before seeing the thread.
                              Yeah, one of several models they advertised. Or so I'm told. No information to be found in the abstract.
                              Last edited by franchi20; 07-14-2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget