Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep ‘em or send ‘em?

8D5512E7-42CA-476E-A510-CAFEC6FEB1E9.jpg

The Kid has been making “get rid of” piles of stuff he’s held onto for years, I think in anticipation of heading off to college in a few weeks. These Cabela’s hardcover catalogs were in one of the piles. When they’d arrive he’d spend hours looking through them. I get they have no real usefulness and tend not to hang onto crap anymore but I can’t quite decide what to do with them.

Some of it is sentimental. This time period was the heyday of all the stories about him I’ve dumped on y’all. Part of it is knowing that he’d get a kick out of them in another 40 years, especially since electronic media has already made these relics. I can’t say they’ll be collectors items but hopefully old advertising will still be a thing someday.

I have room to store them and have no plans on ever moving. I’m thinking of tossing them into a tote and putting them away to be found after I’m gone. Maybe toss a note in with them.

Or I could just put them in the paper recycling bin and never give it another thought.

Opinions?

I prefer nostalgia, wishing I had a Herter's catalog from my high school days, bought a 1970 one for $2 at a flea market. I'd keep them, just to compare prices and fashion in 10 or 15 years. Especially if you have a place for them out of the way.

Comment

As the father of 4, ages 26-41, who all went to college and now are making their way quite nicely in the world , I have much experience with this exact thing. We IGNORED all 4 when they said trash it, instead storing them in totes. ALL have thanked us PROFUSELY for keeping their stuff. Sometimes thru teary eyes when a desperate call with anxious hope was given the "yes we still have it". Relief from their spouses and significant others as well. Why in the world would you toss memories ? I swear where do kids get the idea that graduating high school endowes them with instant wisdom. Keep them, no brainer. Sorry long rant. Stay safe

Comment

Thanks guys. Kinda figured that but reassurance is always welcomed.

I’ve already put them away. I hadn’t been paying much attention to what he’d been doing but will keep an eye out from now on. I don’t think he’s actually chucked anything just yet, he’s just been sorting stuff. Next few weeks will be a big transition for all of us.

Comment

In my "vast" experience 🥴, if I save it, it's worthless.
          If I toss it, well, the next day, SOMEBODY will offer twice what I thought it was worth.

Comment

Cabelas is a local company, or at least it used to be. Haven't used them much after the sale. It's surprising how little they have available now compared to before. You could literally buy anything you needed for any adventure.

My goal in life used to be to wake up on Christmas day with perfectly coiffed hair and a two-day stubble and drink coffee in my high tech thermal underwear and buckskin slippers in a beautiful log cabin and perfect view of the mountains, with my super hot smiling wife and calm hunting dog by my side..

I miss those catalogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
              Cabelas is a local company, or at least it used to be. Haven't used them much after the sale. It's surprising how little they have available now compared to before. You could literally buy anything you needed for any adventure.

My goal in life used to be to wake up on Christmas day with perfectly coiffed hair and a two-day stubble and drink coffee in my high tech thermal underwear and buckskin slippers in a beautiful log cabin and perfect view of the mountains, with my super hot smiling wife and calm hunting dog by my side..

I miss those catalogs.
              I had you figured for one of their catalog models……

7CF15682-5939-4DD6-8B7F-D15858AF0073.jpg

Comment

Truth be told, ‘flyer posts up better pics than what were in those catalogs.

Comment

Id just as soon burn everything over 5 yrs old.

Comment

My dad never threw anything out. My kids and ol lady kept junk around.

If i aint using it, away it goes. I want clean and orderly.

Absolutely hate clutter or mess.

If one has room to properly store stuff, so be it.

Myself, I threw all my HS, college and archery ribbons/ trophies in the trash. Hell i sold most of my deer mounts.

Dont miss any of it.

Less stuff = less stress for me.

Be a lot better when everybody moves the hell out and leaves me alone.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                      Kinda where I’m at, up to a point. I rarely regret sending “stuff” down the road but I still have a few things kicking around from way back. Most fits in a couple totes out of sight and out of mind.

Good to see you checking in.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                        Ah CD2 I miss your cheer and sunshine😳 Can I assume by your lack of cheer you haven't gotten the 30mm rings yet so you can shoot your Savage 22? Anxious to know how your 12x SWFA works out. Stay safe.
                        FWIW my first wife felt the same way about our marriage. Now she's 62, thrice divorced, and alone out in Arizona. Want her number? I'm sure the broom she flies could make good time and if she aggravates you just throw water on her. I am on year 34 with the second.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          Truth be told, ‘flyer posts up better pics than what were in those catalogs.
                          Put it in context Fitch, before the Internet those catalogs were to us like the Sears/Penney Christmas catalogs were to kids.

Comment

Tossing out something that means nothing to you that might have value to family/friends down the road strikes me as selfish. I believe passing time the only way to be sure if it was worth saving or not.
                            To be clear, I AM NOT A PACK RAT!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              Put it in context Fitch, before the Internet those catalogs were to us like the Sears/Penney Christmas catalogs were to kids.
                              Ain’t that the truth. There were even a few years I’d give page and product numbers to people for Christmas ideas when they’d ask. No returns needed.😉

On a similar side track, remember mailing off a check with the catalog order form and then having to wait weeks for the package to arrive? Good lord, how did we manage?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget