Graduation Gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation Gift?

I’ve mentioned the Kid graduating from high school this year, it occurred to me that I should discuss getting a gift for him with my wife. I don’t really have anything specific in mind or a price limit but if she goes for the idea I’ll need to start looking soon.

Right now a shotgun is the only firearm be really “needs” but I’m not sure she’ll go for that kind of money, we do have tuition upcoming, lol.

A nice knife is an easy one but he has a bunch of usable ones already.

Any ideas?

As the father of 4 who all went to college I suggest asking him what he would like. Demonstrates trust in his ability to make mature (thoughtful, logical) decisions.
    There is also validity to the idea of gifts, plural.
    Last edited by dewman; 02-14-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

If you're looking for a legacy type of thing that is tied into hunting, binoculars come to mind as well. He may not need them as much on the home ground, but there may be more mountain hunts in his future, DV.

Comment

Dewman; I can ask his mom if she kept his Christmas list. A lot of what was on there wasn’t anything he was expecting, it was more of an “in my dreams” kind of thing. Might be something we could surprise him with.

Once in awhile he’ll mention Benelli SBE’s, maybe in three years when he wraps up a Bachelors degree…..

Amflyer; Not a bad idea. His Diamondback 8x25’s aren’t horrible but could easily be upgraded with some mid tier 8x32’s for a nice all-a-round set. He could then regulate the Diamondbacks to the truck.

I brought the idea up with my wife last night, she wasn’t opposed but neither of us could remember getting anything from our parents. Not complaining, just probably why we hadn’t thought about it.

Comment

When I graduated, dad broke my dinner plate. Mom never shed a tear.

Don't know how he's set up computer wise, but a high quality lap top might work. It should work well for a college freshman.

....but then, something fun could work too.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            When I graduated, dad broke my dinner plate. Mom never shed a tear.

Don't know how he's set up computer wise, but a high quality lap top might work. It should work well for a college freshman.

....but then, something fun could work too.
            That’s in the works, my wife has already been checking into options that exceed the requirements for his curriculum. She’s planning on setting him up with a laptop w/ detachable screen that can be used as a tablet. Handy that she’s an Information Technology programming manager at our local state college. Absolute necessity so it’s been figured in as just part of the expense. We were just discussing this last week, she wants to get something here soon to avoid any last minute supply issues.

Comment

That's a good point about supply problems. Settling for "better than nothing" would be a sad deal for something so important. You know, maybe you already have something of yours that your son covets? My kids didn't really care when they got older if they got their own guns bought for them or not as they had all already put claims in on their dads that they grew up with and enjoyed success with.
              As for laptops/computers, they, as well as me & mom, considered them essentials, like clothes, paying for their phone service, and books.

Comment

I’m not sure there’s anything of mine he wants that I’m not still using, lol! He is opposed to the idea of trading off anything so there’s that.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

That’s in the works, my wife has already been checking into options that exceed the requirements for his curriculum. She’s planning on setting him up with a laptop w/ detachable screen that can be used as a tablet. Handy that she’s an Information Technology programming manager at our local state college. Absolute necessity so it’s been figured in as just part of the expense. We were just discussing this last week, she wants to get something here soon to avoid any last minute supply issues.
                  Along those lines, don't forget providing a good printer. For my home office I use a laptop in a docking station with two external displays, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Along those lines, don't forget providing a good printer. For my home office I use a laptop in a docking station with two external displays, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse.
                    Thanks, I’ll mention that to the wife. I’m not sure if she thought about it.

Comment

My wife did think maybe a good watch might be appropriate. When he was a small kid up through a few years ago he did almost always wear one, he went through a few cheap dial types. Something we did early on to teach him how to tell time. Now with phones in everyone’s pockets I’m not sure watches are a thing anymore. I only ever wore one when bow hunting mostly to help pattern deer. Any of y’all still wear one?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        My wife did think maybe a good watch might be appropriate. When he was a small kid up through a few years ago he did almost always wear one, he went through a few cheap dial types. Something we did early on to teach him how to tell time. Now with phones in everyone’s pockets I’m not sure watches are a thing anymore. I only ever wore one when bow hunting mostly to help pattern deer. Any of y’all still wear one?
                        I wear a Timex Expedition digital chronograph that I've had for years. Just replaced the batry and band for the 3rd (4th?) time. No telling how long I'll be able to find new bands, this time it was NOS aftermarket from the interweb.

Comment

Fitch: No I no longer wear a watch. My phone besides instant day /date/time notifies me if I have an appointment I need to get to, complete weather, has a great flashlight, allows the wife to know where I am at all times, I record all deer sightings on it so I know time of day and location, mark new honeyholes (squirrels). Coupled with an accurate clock in my truck I'm never late and am always time aware as every indoors destination has a clock also.
                          Unless he desires a smart watch to track his health/fitness perhaps?

Comment

I worked a job for 14 years that required I have a timepiece that was accurate to within mere seconds per day.
                            You had to have your watch inspected and adjusted, if necessary, every 6 months and carry a "watch card" with you.
                            Therefore, I wear a watch every day.
                            Right now, I am equipped with a simple Casio digital, "WalMart", $13.95 special. It's accurate enough to stay with my phone.

When I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, out of habit, I check the time. Insane? Uhm...maybe, but there are worse habits to have. LOL!

Comment

Fitch270, this popped up on my phone. Don't know if it will help, but just maybe......

https://www.verywellfamily.com/the-b...-gifts-5179241

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
                                by fitch270
                                Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                              • Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                                08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X