Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Lite Solitude Bibs

25 degrees this morning.
    Just got the bibs this week ( Black Friday 30% off ).

Tech said buy reg size. The Large doesnt seem to have much room and the cut somewhat athletic. Was concerned about jeans inside. Fit is diff, space seems to hang back, so it's there....just different.

Am long waisted so the straps had enough adj for non shoulder/ neck pull. My shoulder has been screwed up and i have neck/ back problem. So this was a nice.

However.....they dont have a full front zipper to get into em.
    They do have full length side zips and that helps
    Zip pocket on thighs, w an unzip behind each.

Hand warmer on chest. Kinda screwed my back getting into em a few times to adj.

Thin, synth.....i was skeptical.

Normally wear jeans to hunting spot and get cheap camo insulated bibs on there. Miss my old K5, could dressed behind the wheel LOL. My ZJ aint got enough, so have to change clothes standing outside the vehicle. Sucks if I change or add at hunting spot. Hell I'd buy a motorhome just to dress comfy on site.

Sometimes wear thermals under jeans. Drive w heat off.

Had UA thermals and the compression fit drove me crazy. Hated the feel. Pitched em after a couple seasons. Bought some other brand on sale at Dunhams, mossy oak camo. Only camo because thats what they had. Large lower XL upper

Thin, but not as annoying in feel as the UA was.

Wore these w just the First Lite bibs, in my Jeep, to the hunting spot, w my thicker boots on.
    Fleece thin hoodie w a windblocker outer. Habit brand the outter. Had it for a few yrs.

Vented to knees w zippers. Was not hot but was not cold. Hmmm, hows this gonna feel when I sit on a log for a couple hrs.

I was cool but not cold. Only lasted 2 hr sit as my knee was bothering me ( could not get in a treestand ).

So.....am thinking this bib, w a matching jacket......and no thermals could be my October set.
    Add thermals (merino wool ) and go through Nov.

More money to spend I guess.

Am not sold on this stuff yet, but it appears the thinner lighter stuff w modern base layer may be worth the cost

Sizing is a real PITA for me. 34" waist, 6 ft tall and long waisted. 195#.

I went Large w the bibs and w a single base layer should be fine. Dunno if room enough for a mid layer.

Rating was 20 to 40 degrees.

Think that accurate.

Cost was ( on sale ) 212 bucks. Ouch.
    Coat is 300, add in some wool base layers for another 150. Figure better boots and am looking at a K.

With my back,.knee and shoulder I have to pay through the nose to add comfort wherever else I can.

Its hard enough to get outside when Ive ached all night. So am taking the plunge on better hunting clothes.

Wish this stuff was available 20 yrs ago LOL
    One short hunt ( saw two does, MZ season- but wind sucked and got me busted by one, that blew and scared others out ).

They sold out of coat/ jacket on BF. back.in stock at reg price. Hunting season almost over. Would like to get on sale.
    Last edited by CD2; 12-12-2021, 08:57 PM.

I have some First Lite pants that are a bit light for cold weather. Short stride and small seat for the size. I think they run small per size. Probably fit a skinny jeans-wearing millennial just fine.

Comment

We picked up a First Lite softshell jacket off Sierra Trading Post for the Kid a few years ago, it was the first of many technical hunting clothing purchases since. We buy stuff at clearance prices so aren’t sold on one manufacturer but haven’t been disappointed with any of it.

I’m finding I like the compression fit stuff when I’m moving but not as much for sitting. I try to run synthetic base layers when I’m covering ground and wool when I’m stand hunting. I think the synthetics wick moisture better and the wool traps more air.

I’m 6’ even and 150# soaking wet, the Kid 5’10 and 125#. The newer athletic fit stuff works very well for us.

Comment

Short stride and small seat for the size. I think they run small per size. Probably fit a skinny jeans-wearing millennial just fine.

Yeah, WAM! I have the same problem. "small for size" 😉

Seriously, I just hit Orschlen's and grab a pair of Carhart insulated bibs. Early enough in the season and the shelves are loaded.
        Last pair I bought lasted about 5 years.

Comment

CD2, thanks for the report on the bibs. Sorry you're having problems sitting for very long while hunting. Been there when I've pulled muscles in my back. It became so miserable trying to be still I just gave up that day and went home.

My bibs are made by HuntRite, $65 on Amazon and 100% cotton. I'm 5'11 and built like a fireplug, thick all over, mainly muscle but of course mid-life extra that's never come off. So, I go with 2XL for plenty of non-binding room while sitting in a stand. I don't like wearing the bibs when I'm on the move so, they only come out of the backpack when I plan to sit awhile.

What I don't like about the HuntRite is the calf length leg zipper. I wear 12-wide boots and it's a squeeze getting into the bibs with them on.

Amazon.com: HuntRite Men's Camo Insulated Hunting Bibs, Mossy Oak DNA, 2XL : Sports & Outdoors

Comment

I like the Cabela’s Microtex pants and shirts. 100% synthetic but are soft and quiet. They bust the wind pretty well and don’t fade. One shirt I’ve had since 2005 and still works fine (still fits🤣). I’ve got a few barbed wire snags but briars don’t wreck them. I didn’t care for the Microtex Lite or Stretch fabrics. Toss on a Rivers West shell and pants then you’re watertight!

Comment

Proly order the jacket this week
              Deer season ends soon so proly test when yoting.

​​​​​​WIsh they were on sale LOL

Last edited by CD2; 12-13-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Impinged shoulder, torn miniscus and arthritis....
                been a fun season of laying on couch mostly LOL
                Am sick of hunting shows.
                Even beer and rally vids are losing their magic.
                Those guys trashing those crappy little cars....
                Man that has got to be a freakin blast!

Searched various forums, watched YT vids....on clothing. Lots of details left out IMHO.
                With brands not stocked its kinda risky buying over the web.

Id have plunked the money and tried on Cabela's outfitter stuff if they hadnt cheapened everything across the board. Theres a store a little over an hr away ( either direction ).

So rolled the dice on thr First Lite
                So far, so good.
                Stuff is made in Indonesia or Vietnam, cant remember.

Comment

One of my favorite pieces of hunting clothing is a Cabela’s wool fatigue sweater with windshear lining.

3EEDB592-AF1B-4216-9DB1-43E6EB28C03C.jpg

It’s heavy compared to fleece but otherwise comfortable and warm. It works nice as an outer piece in mild temps and as a mid layer on cold days.

I actually had it on under my Cabela’s berber fleece jacket in the pic of this years buck. You can see the three buttons on the chest. I have a hooded pullover like the jacket in a size large that I use as an outer layer on real cold days. I’m finding I prefer the down puffy over the fleece jackets but not in wet conditions. Seems like everything has trade offs.

4CEBED72-8A41-4CC7-84CE-34B2DCDB8DFE.jpg

I have a couple windshirts from Cabela’s that I really like as well, plus a few pairs of upland jeans. I can’t recall any of their clothing I didn’t think was a good value. Sucks how that’s turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    One of my favorite pieces of hunting clothing is a Cabela’s wool fatigue sweater with windshear lining.

3EEDB592-AF1B-4216-9DB1-43E6EB28C03C.jpg

It’s heavy compared to fleece but otherwise comfortable and warm. It works nice as an outer piece in mild temps and as a mid layer on cold days.

I actually had it on under my Cabela’s berber fleece jacket in the pic of this years buck. You can see the three buttons on the chest. I have a hooded pullover like the jacket in a size large that I use as an outer layer on real cold days. I’m finding I prefer the down puffy over the fleece jackets but not in wet conditions. Seems like everything has trade offs.

4CEBED72-8A41-4CC7-84CE-34B2DCDB8DFE.jpg

I have a couple windshirts from Cabela’s that I really like as well, plus a few pairs of upland jeans. I can’t recall any of their clothing I didn’t think was a good value. Sucks how that’s turned out.
                    Really nice deer.

Comment

My buddy has the outfitter camo sweater w windshear. Nice lookin and comfy but I found the windshear to add some noise.

So was reluctant to get my own ( ive worn his )

Darn sharp looking sweater and proly good enough for most hunting.

Maybe Im too picky and missed out.

Fleece is horrible around here due the burrs. Reg clothing picks up enough and brushing em off/ picking them.....those little spines break off in my fingers. Get sore before they move enough to dig out.

I have a lesser brand jacket w wind blocker and it was a set. Its just a casual jacket now.

The ol lady got ready for work, dug some winter coat out of closet. That synthetic " zhick zhick zhick " about had me go ballistic. Freakin hate that, or the zing of Cordura.

So yeah, i was finger on the button nuke China kinda pizzed at 730 am ( work 2nds so went to bed at 230 )

I wear a beat up old cotton hoodie w some fuzzy lining. Work is rough on em anyway.

Nice n quiet though.

Comment

My buds sweater is the fleece, not wool.
                        wonder how they differ in noise w windshear

Comment

BTW....congrats on that nice deer

Comment

This is the jacket I'm using $90

Mossy Oak Sherpa 2.0 Lined Jacket – The Mossy Oak Store

Comment

Was gonna order the First Lite jacket at reg price but my knife got made so pick it up this week

Will endure this weekend w my reg stuff over the bibs LOL.

Last edited by CD2; 12-14-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget