Leupold screwed me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leupold screwed me

had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out, it's worse than when I sent it in. The elevation turret spins almost freely moves the crosshairs ZERO.
    It was also the only gun I took so I got to play grab ass while my two pals shot their rifles.
    They were kind enough to bring up repeatedly how I've harped on them for years to get a Leupold. Fun times, Fun times.
    Thank God gas is cheap and ammo abounds. Also cheap
    Last edited by dewman; 11-30-2021, 07:07 AM.

Time to have a "chat" with Leupold

Comment

Leupold (kinda sorta!) screwed (?) me too!

The very first Leupold scope I ever bought was a VX-I 3-9×40. It was a "promotional" at a new gun store about 1977 and cost me a whopping $98!
      After nearly 40 years of dependable service, I decided to return it to Leupold to be serviced. Cleaned in and out, new seals etc, etc.
      Instead of my "Old Faithful", I get one of the "NEW" Leupold "Freedom" 3-9×40! 🤯
      I wanted "MY" scope back! Not a replacement!
      Of course, by the time I realized what had happened, "MY" scope had been relegated to the scrap heap of "yesteryear" and, "Duh!", it wasn't available.

Yeah....I'm peeved at Leupold, but they are still the best value for the $$$$ out there.

I've got 2 of their "Freedom" line of scopes. They seem to be performing just fine.....so far! 🤔

Comment

Disappointing to read this Dewman, you’d seemed pleased when it first came back. Unfortunately these types of reports are becoming more prevalent and from loyal customers at that.

There’s a new Burris FF E1 4.5-14x42sf inbound for under The Tree in a few weeks. I’m very much hoping it lives up to the hype. It’s a discontinued model that has been “redesigned”, made in the Philippines not China. $143+ tax. Lifetime warranty for whatever that’s worth.

Comment

I won’t deny that Leupold has been on top of the game for years. But more often than not, they are a troublesome optic these days. I still have 3 reliable ones in service but I’ll never buy another one. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
            I won’t deny that Leupold has been on top of the game for years. But more often than not, they are a troublesome optic these days. I still have 3 reliable ones in service but I’ll never buy another one. Happy Trails
            Problem is, I can't afford Zeiss.
            I'm not impressed with Leupold's "Freedom" series, but their high end VX-III series seems to still be good quality....but since I don't own nor likely to afford their VX-III series, I'm in a dilemma.

Vortex, for me, has been a "so-so" trade off. Affordable and pretty dog gone accurate.

In today's world, I'm having a hard time justifying buying much of anything "Made in China".

So, what kind of choices does today's shooter have.
            Affordable and reliable?

Comment

Bubba,
              For reliability and value and non-China junk, the Burris Fullfield II line made in PI is about all there is that I’m aware of. The Sightron S II was made in Japan and very reliable. Unless one bumps up to the high-priced spread, I guess it’s Leupold or Chinese stuff. Happy Trails

Comment

For the record, I'm sticking with Leupold. Playing the odds as it were. Just not going to be a bubbling cheerleader for them anymore and won't be so quick to say "better buy a Leupold" going in.

Comment

Can’t blame you for sticking with what you know, following the conversation elsewhere I got the impression most folks didn’t get it wasn’t the scope that was the problem so much as the poor QC from the refurb.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    For the record, I'm sticking with Leupold. Playing the odds as it were. Just not going to be a bubbling cheerleader for them anymore and won't be so quick to say "better buy a Leupold" going in.
                    I think that is wise. I have Leupolds still on a few rifles but have migrated away from buying them and have sent some down the road as gifts or trades. I don’t consider myself an optics snob but I could afford better before I retired. Now I have all the toys!

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

I think that is wise. I have Leupolds still on a few rifles but have migrated away from buying them and have sent some down the road as gifts or trades. I don’t consider myself an optics snob but I could afford better before I retired. Now I have all the toys!
                      Hope after the move you still find chances to use them.🤞

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Hope after the move you still find chances to use them.🤞
                        Count on it!

Comment

New Vx3i on my 3006. Was sent back immediately for crud on crosshair. Fixed and back fairly quick.Adjustments are of strong click in one axis, the other works as it should but feels mushy.
                          Expected better.

Where are the Swarovski z3 made?
                          Might buy a couple to replace some Gold rings.

Comment

Currently have less than a dozen scopes, all Leupold VX3i or lesser.

Have owned proly 30 over the years.
                            4 have been bad from the factory, new.
                            Replaced or fixed and no problems after.

No failures afield.

No probs w used ones.

Comment

The VX3 series was changed to VX3i and iirc is bow VX3 HD.

Dunno wth theyre thinking over there.

Prices on the 5 and 6 stuff is up there

Looking at Swaro and Zeiss but wonder what stuff of theirs is built outside of europe.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                                Today, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                Yesterday, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                              • Aquila ammo test
                                by dewman
                                Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                08-05-2022, 05:11 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X