Gear Takeaways So Far This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Takeaways So Far This Year

I’ve always typically liked to travel light, hate carrying stuff I rarely use. So far this season I’ve twice now had reason to reconsider some basics. Some of it age related.

The first morning of bow season it was pitch black out when I woke up. I’ve rarely used a light going into my stands but something told me to grab a headlamp on my way out the door. I barely made it off the lawn and turned it on. Some of it is from my night vision not being what it was just a few years ago and some of it from clouds and no moonlight that morning. I reopened up a road going up the hill last summer that’s a much better way to get up there but it goes right through the woods. I’d never have made it without the headlamp. It’s a Browning model that has a fairly bright LED with an adjustable beam that goes from flood to spotlight, as well as red and green floodlights. I used the red going up in the dark and it worked nicely.

Last night I started the search with the white LED turned down to a spotlight. It was working well but when the Kid and my wife returned they brought a small rechargeable light my wife bought me for Christmas me a couple years ago. It replaced a bright pen light she had previously bought me that broke, was replaced under warranty and then the second failed as well. Both with little use. I liked the concept of that penlight but wasn’t buying another like it. The new light worked incredible on the middle of three settings. It has a non adjustable spotlight beam that picked up small drops of blood easily. I ran it for better than two hours and it still gave off full light. I’m not sure how much juice it had left or if it would have lasted on its highest setting but it was worth whatever she paid for it last night. This light will definitely get packed for trips and taken in addition to my headlamp for evening sits at home. Also noticed was that in a crowd headlamps are a pain, you can’t have conversations without blinding each other.

The other related item is my eyeglasses. I only wear them to read and for nighttime distance driving but apparently need to start toting them in less than bright conditions for tracking purposes.

Lastly was the flagging tape. I’ve used it before when called to help others but hadn’t ever carried it. That’s going to change. It was immensely helpful last night, I was glad I thought to have the Kid bring it back up with him. I may substitute TP just for its main intended purpose but also because it’s biodegradable and I wouldn’t feel bad leaving it up on my property.

Biggest thing is the flashlight, I’m not sure how reliable this one will prove to be but I’ll be looking into similar models with a reputation for being bulletproof. Might even get several for family gifts this year and to have handy.

3D731FB9-5073-4A39-B8F2-AF842B94AA43.jpeg

This one has lasted the longest for me. Tough. IMG_2561.JPG I take this one when I need something that clips or is magnetic IMG_2564.JPG

Comment

TP is certainly nice to have along but if it's raining, or windy, or you have to stop for the night, flagging tape is the only way to go. It ain't that hard to backtrack and cut off your markers. You're probably heading back the same way you came anyway.

Comment

I used a mini mag light a few times
        Blood and water often not able to differentiate between the two.

What to do?
        Winner: Coleman lantern.

Yes its old school. Yes its a PITA Yes it makes bloody trails easier .....and will admit, way more fun.

​​​​​​A tradition IMHO worth maintaining.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          I used a mini mag light a few times
          Blood and water often not able to differentiate between the two.

What to do?
          Winner: Coleman lantern.

Yes its old school. Yes its a PITA Yes it makes bloody trails easier .....and will admit, way more fun.

​​​​​​A tradition IMHO worth maintaining.

I’ll have to keep that in mind if it ever comes to it. I have three propane Coleman’s I could use.

Do you run foil or some other reflector behind one side? I remember using them with a metal paint roller tray once when I was invited to go dip net spawning smelt one night.

Comment

We used to just use a tin pan as a reflector. Cheap and works VERY well!

Comment

I just run a reg white gas lantern. But learned way back to bring extra mantles.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                I just run a reg white gas lantern. But learned way back to bring extra mantles.
                Geezo! How long has it been since I heard the term "white gas"?
                You just didn't buy anything but "Coleman Lantern Fuel". LOL!
                When they first released "unleaded" gasoline, the world went nuts. No more Coleman fuel! ...and it worked! ...for a little while anyway! LOL!
                Suddenly, your Coleman lantern didn't burn as bright. It needed constant attention and had to be rebuilt way too often. THAT was unleaded gas.
                I've still got a real antique Coleman lantern. Guess I need to clean out the dirt dauber nests and get some mantles and "white gas". LOL!

Comment

Used to be labelled white gas ...red silver can.....buy it at Kmart, you know, when K.mart had 1100s and 870s in a rack LOL
                  Dunno when the name was changed to Coleman Fuel.

I still call it white gas.

LOL

Once prepped a lantern in field at start of track job....spilled some. Was dancing around stomping tussocks for a bit as the fire slowly hopped around.

Maybe 10 yard total burn, but half of it was empty spaces anyway.

Good times.

Comment

The lantern glass will rattle. If it annoys you 30 minutes into a track job dont attempt to tighten the knurled brass top.

Unless you want a reminder for a few months and or needed some extra traction on some fingers 😂

Knurling pattern stays a while.

Comment

When I was in Boy Scouts our Scoutmaster did meetings different, we’d camp in a clapboard cabin with a Kalamazoo cook stove on one end and a 55gal drum wood stove on the other. Did Friday overnights every three weeks or so right through winter. The cabin was lit by 2 Coleman double mantle gas lanterns hung from the rafters. To this day I still love the hiss they make. Use propane now just because it’s easier to deal with. Same hiss.

Haven’t liked an LED lantern yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        When I was in Boy Scouts our Scoutmaster did meetings different, we’d camp in a clapboard cabin with a Kalamazoo cook stove on one end and a 55gal drum wood stove on the other. Did Friday overnights every three weeks or so right through winter. The cabin was lit by 2 Coleman double mantle gas lanterns hung from the rafters. To this day I still love the hiss they make. Use propane now just because it’s easier to deal with. Same hiss.

Haven’t liked an LED lantern yet.
                        Talk about "good ol' days"!

I camped with my dad, grandpa and great uncle in a surplus military (WWII?) wall tent heated by a small, white propane gas bathroom heater. Worked great.
                        When I was 6, they built a 12×12 one room shack out of scrap lumber.

That was heated by a one eyed wood burning stove and we (they?) cooked on a 3 burner kerosene stove.
                        6585_1_o.jpg Simular to this one.
                        ....and yes, lit by 2, two mantle Coleman lanterns.

My grandpa could literally run you OUT of that one room shack with that little wood stove.

fitch270, I camped with themh in the tent until I literally lost the lease in 1982*.
                        Nearly 30 years.
                        Never a deer season between 1953 until 1982 went by that I did spend at least 2 night in that shack.
                        In 1962 or 63, the shack was expanded to two rooms with sleeping quarters in the back with kitchen/LR in the front!

Good times!

* - 1982 was the last year I hunted. I gave up my spot in 1983. So, pretty close to 30 years.
                        Lot'sa, deer, squirrels, ducks and catfish....and lots other stuff!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-12-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

My lights for hunting:

For getting to the stand before sunrise, I use a Streamlight with green LED. It's a small pen light, lightweight, with replaceable AAA batteries. Good for keeping night vision and not spooking game. It can be clipped to the bill of a hat.

Streamlight 66124 Stylus Pro Pen Light with Green LED and Holster, Realtree Hardwood High Definition Camo - 5 Lumens - - Amazon.com

For getting back after dark, tracking, and gutting, I use a Streamlight headlamp. The spot beam has a pretty good range and that's what I use when paddling the canoe after sunset. I've got two of these and use one on my hardhat at papermills. The model is rated safe in Class 1 Div 1 environments (won't cause an explosion). Also uses AAA batteries.

Amazon.com: Streamlight 61025 Trident 85-Lumen HAZ-LO Class 1 Division 1 Safety-Rated White LED Headlamp, Yellow : Everything Else

Kept in my vehicle, is a 1000 Lumen handheld spotlight also by Streamlight. This is a great general use light and is even better for serious tracking at night. If PigHuntress is with me in a canoe after dark, she's sitting in the front shining this light while I paddle.

Amazon.com: Streamlight 44910 Waypoint 1000-Lumens Spotlight with 120-Volt AC Charger, Yellow : Everything Else

Finally, I keep a power bank to charge my phone if necessary. It has a built-in LED light. My model has been discontinued. But here's one with solar cell capability.

Amazon.com: Solar Charger 20000mAh Solar Power Bank Waterproof Portable Charger with Dual 5V USB Port/LED Flashlight Compatible with All Smartphone External Battery Pack Perfect for Outdoor/Camping/Trip : Cell Phones & Accessories

Comment

My hunting season hasn't started. But I've used the heck out of my machete in clearing trails and shooting lanes. It's a Marbles brand I picked up from The Smoky Mountain Knife Works. The handle was a little rough but easily smoothed on a belt sander. I keep it shaving sharp and it sings through light brush and small limbs.

Marbles Large Workhorse Jungle Machete | SMKW

Comment

Fitch, I like gear reviews so keep them coming. I'll try to do the same.

Marking a blood trail with small bits of toilet paper is a good idea and I've used that method. Orange flagging tape or other markers can always be removed after the trailing is done.

I always keep an extra orange vest in my pack and will hang it from a nearby limb when I find the deer. Between that and the GPS it's then easy to go get the cart and return.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Finally filled that elk tag!
                                by Ernie
                                Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                                Yesterday, 01:05 PM
                              • Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                              • Life is good!
                                by dewman
                                .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! 🦌=🍔+🌮+🍺or🍷👍😉 ...
                                11-22-2021, 07:29 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X