A middle age paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A middle age paradox

So last weekend I placed an order and less than 15 minutes later realized I’d willingly set myself up.

I’ve often mentioned that the one thing almost all my hunting clothing has in common is that it was purchased at clearance prices, and by that I mean at least 50% off. Also, the past couple years I’ve been upgrading quality and removing the worn out, faded out and stretched out stuff hanging in the closet. The idea being to eliminate redundancy while still having some overlap options. Other than when mainstream camo patterns were rather limited I’ve never been loyal to any particular brand, although back in the day I did lean towards Realtree Advantage,

Turns out I’ve been putting together what’s referred to these days as my “Kit”. A nice mix of a few older favorites with some newer high tech pieces. It wasn’t intentional but three pieces of Kryptek branded tops ended up on hangers; a hot weather shirt, a packable rain jacket and a down puffy. I’ve been happy with all three purchases. The only real hole I’ve had to fill was for cooler, windy and damp weather. I’ve been on the lookout for both a softshell jacket and pants for sometime now. I happened to be checking out one of the websites that does a daily deal type promotion and they had Kryptek Cadog 2 jackets and pants in my size for 50% and 55% off retail. They fit the bill so I went ahead and ordered both.

I was feeling pretty good about the deal, then it hit me.

If you’re familiar with the Kryptek line you’ll know that they tend to be geared towards the Joe Tactical side of of the market. Along those lines the cut and fit tends to be on the athletic side which is good for my skinny frame. Problem is, all geared up in the stuff at my age I look like a poster boy for the washed up/wannabe/poser/fanboy crowd, lol!

I’m not at the point where I can totally disregard appearance for comfort but at the same time it’s not like I’m going with the old man- shorts, socks and sandals look. On the plus side since I hunt mainly here at home it’s only my family that has to see me. The Kid tells me he’s buying me a matching ball cap for Father’s Day.

I mention this because the stuff showed up today, fits great and should work perfect. Midlife crisis be damned.

If it fits great and works perfect then what other consideration is there? If Kryptek is your brand then so be it. If clothing I ordered through the mail, without being able to try it on first, fit me that well I wouldn't know what to do. Count yourself lucky. Funny, Advantage is my all time favorite camo pattern as well, especially when it gets a little older and just starts to fade. Stay safe.
    P.S. Finally someone else posting something!😁

Comment

Ha! In just a few more years, you'll get past worrying about it. You won't give a damn how it looks to others when you're hunting. Wear it with pride if it works for you.

My fav is Mossy Oak 'Break-up Country'. Upgraded my 1st line to that pattern a couple of summers ago. My second and third outfits are still a mixture of older stuff. So, I may get another complete set.

Mossy Oak is out of East Central Mississippi and thus they're practically neighbors.

Mossy Oak | Outdoors Lifestyle Brand | Camo & Licensing Experts

Last edited by PigHunter; 06-10-2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Went to the Kryptek site for a look since I'm not familiar with the company. Their Obskura pattern would probably be best in the Southeast. Most of the other patterns look better for places with less undergrowth.

Camo Clothing, Footwear & Accessories | Kryptek

Last edited by PigHunter; 06-10-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I've found many camo patterns have too much dark detail turning you into a dark blob easily seen when leaves fall and woods open up. Also, when up in a tree I've gotten by just fine with monotone flat earth colors in my clothes. I believe wearing a combo of new and old (faded) best breaks you up in the woods. Really though, if you just stand out in the open without utilizing any cover you're going to get noticed sooner or later. Staying still I think beats any camo but using cover and terrain perhaps best of all.

Comment

Here in Alabama, I prefer the darker detail for several reasons. When stalking, I try to stay in shadows and next to tree trunks. Pines have a dark bark so even high in one it helps conceal. Even in winter there's still leaves on some of the undergrowth and of course the pines still have their needles. Shadows are abundant.

In a blind the darker pattern helps again because of being in shadow. In twilight, if not moving, I disappear from sight.

Crossbow still hunt r.jpg

Comment

Personally, I'm not so sure that any one camo pattern is that much more effective than another.
              When camo was, what I guess would be, "blobs of color", it worked just pretty darn good.
              I'm of the mindset that the old "blobs of color" and a good background and sitting still work just as well as the high $ patterns.
              How in the world were American hunters able to kill deer when all we had were overalls and red plaid wool coats! LOL! 😜

I still "update" my camo by raiding the WalMart sales rack right at the end of hunting season!
              Oh yeah! AFTER spring turkey season is another pretty good bet! LOL!
              Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-10-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                Personally, I'm not so sure that any one camo pattern is that much more effective than another.
                When camo was, what I guess would be, "blobs of color", it worked just pretty darn good.
                I'm of the mindset that the old "blobs of color" and a good background and sitting still work just as well as the high $ patterns.
                How in the world were American hunters able to kill deer when all we had were overalls and red plaid wool coats! LOL! 😜
                They were not using archery. That's where camo really is useful. Sitting in an enclosed blind or waiting on deer to be pushed towards you doesn't require camo at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

They were not using archery. That's where camo really is useful. Sitting in an enclosed blind or waiting on deer to be pushed towards you doesn't require camo at all.
                  Pretty much, pighunter.
                  I didn't have any camo until I was over 25!

Comment

I forgot about the reversible blaze/blaze camo vests we bought for Montana, so now I have six pieces of theirs from 4 different outlets. Between the Kid and I we also have stuff from Cabela’s Sitka, First Lite and the Browning’s Hells Canyon line. All good stuff found at bargain prices, I can’t pick one over the other.

I hadn’t thought about Cabela’s Outfitter Camo pattern earlier, which I really like. The Kryptek Highlander pattern is a bit busy to look at up close but I think it works fine. Around here we really only have green from mid May though the end of September and for spring turkey we usually have our backs against a big tree trunk so even then it isn’t necessary.

Dewman; I still have a cotton turtleneck and crew sweatshirt in the original Realtree pattern, both good for mild, dry conditions and comfortable to wear. The only thing about faded cotton that I’ve noticed is that in low light it seems to glow. That’s one of the reasons why I use detergents with no UV brighteners and try not to wear that kind of stuff as an outer layer.

I’m not really concerned with any image I may convey but the though struck me as funny. Just a reminder to not judge a book by it’s cover.

Comment

I am not too sure that I ever did buy a ‘true’ piece of camo clothing, finding most too expensive and mostly on the ‘noisy’ side. I found myself more comfortable in flannel shirts of mixed colors, browns, greens, black, some with yellow and red colors.....those usually depending on the seasonal changes of fall into early winter. Being a bowhunter, I was always more concerned with ‘quietness’ of the clothes I was wearing as my shooting distances were often times very close, and I learned after a few mistakes that the ears of a whitetail are better than just good ! Hunted often in winter with temps often in single numbers, then my desire for warmth took over and I dressed more to survive, figured I could always stop ay Mickey D’s for a cheeseburger if unsuccessful hunting because of not being well cameoed. I guess we all have our priorities for cameo and survival !

Comment

I have a real problem with a pair of dox!
                        At my age, I don't think could handle more than one dox at a time.

p.s. - just what the heck is a "dox" anyway?

paradigm- 20 cents
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-10-2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=FirstBubba;n66762]I have a real problem with a pair of dox!
                          At my age, I don't think could handle more than one dox at a time.

p.s. - just what the heck is a "dox" anyway
                          Come on FB, you never heard of Doc Martin boots? Must be a million people who own a para doc's.
                          BH75R: All my camo is fleece of one type or another. I bought it specifically because it was quiet, and comfy, warm too!

Comment

My go to outer top layers have been fleece the past several years. The only draw back to them is they don’t shed rain or snow that well. My lighter tops don’t have a wind liner either, I wanted the softshell for more inclement weather. The material on these is very quiet, essentially it’s a slick finished fleece that will bead water. I’ll probably hit it with some waterproofing as well.

Tops for me are generally easy as most Mediums are fine if they aren’t cut short. My heaviest fleece pullover is actually a Large for layering. Pants are a tougher fit, Smalls tend to run too snug in the waist and have short inseams while Mediums are good in length but are loose and hang on me. Typically I wear a 30x34 but a long cut 30x32 is about perfect. These new ones are cut long and I don’t walk on the cuffs without shoes on. Even better is they have enough room for a good base layer without being baggy. They’ll replace two pairs of Mediums, one a fleece and the other a softshell. For hunting bottoms that will leave me with a pair of camo Wrangler jeans for warm weather in addition to a pair of Browning RainSlayer pants. As long as the Kid doesn’t borrow anything of mine I should be pretty well set for awhile. Problem is he gains another 10-15 pounds and he’ll be in the same boat as me.

Speaking of boats, that’s what dox are for ain’t it!

Comment

I've got a pair of Wrangler camo jeans and a pair of light weight camo pants. The Wranglers are my cold weather go-to.
                              Grabbed the lightweight pair one coolish spring morning during turkey season! Won't make THAT mistake again! Thought I was going to freeze!

"dox"

Then a pair of dox is 2 dox, side by side. Right?

Then if you have several dox, is that a "multi-dox"?

I'm corn-fused!? 😜🤯😳

Let me guess!
                              Pair of phrase is saying the same thing twice?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                                by Amflyer
                                Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                                07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                              • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                                by fitch270
                                This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                                07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                              • Top three. (3)
                                by FirstBubba
                                We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                                What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                                1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                                07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                              • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                                by fitch270
                                The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                                07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                              • Right now
                                by fitch270
                                07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X