Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Range gear

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Range gear

    ADBB4F04-874E-4BCE-AE82-F99AD873988C.jpeg


    We’re fortunate in that we can shoot here at home, with the centerfires we go up on the hill away from the neighbors to try to keep the noise as far away as possible. The bench stays there but all the gear and target holders have to be carted up each time. Yesterday we took the Kid’s truck up as we had too much to haul with the SxS. Off the top of my head we had the following;

    3 rifles
    3 shotguns (turkey pattern check)
    ammo (forgot my 12 gauge turkey loads, oops)
    chronograph kit
    targets, holders, tape
    gun rest
    spotting scope
    ear muffs
    safety glasses
    reading glasses
    notebook and pen


    Besides my turkey ammo I also forgot a second tripod for the spotting scope and a blanket or tarp to set stuff on. We parked the truck a little ways away, usually we can run the SxS right up to the bench.

    If we really needed anything (I’ll check my shotgun’s pattern later) we could have headed back down to the house. As it was we spent about 2 1/2 hours up there setting up, shooting and then packing up.


    Point to all this is it makes me wonder, you fellas that have to travel a bit must plan things out pretty well. I’m wondering what things you take along, how long you generally are there and how much travel time is involved. Part of the reason I ask is I’ve thought about joining another club about 30-40 minutes away. I’ve heard they may be installing a 500 yard range in addition to some other upgrades. It’s a good club I’m familiar with from teaching Hunter Ed classes there. I’m just not sure how often I’d make the trip.


  • #2
    I always take three rifles to the range, shoot one while two cool. stand them up to cool and leave the breach open - warm barrel draws the cool air in and up and they cool in no time. I learned the hot spot on a barrel is not right in front of the action, rather it is about a foot down the barrel. I checked with my laser temp instrument on my 30-06 and 7mag. when it is too hot to touch it is about 150deg.

    Comment


    • #3
      I belong to a private range that's only 10 minutes from the house. My range bag has tools, stapler, hearing protection, safety glasses, empty chamber indicators, and target dot stickers. I have another bag with sandbags and a bipod.

      Other gear: chronograph, spotting scope, camera tripod, binoculars, target stand bottoms, target stand vertical wooden sticks, cardboard target backer, targets, cleaning rod, cleaning kit.

      Usually I do like Jimbo and take two to three rifles for the same reasons.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        ADBB4F04-874E-4BCE-AE82-F99AD873988C.jpeg


        We’re fortunate in that we can shoot here at home, with the centerfires we go up on the hill away from the neighbors to try to keep the noise as far away as possible. The bench stays there but all the gear and target holders have to be carted up each time. Yesterday we took the Kid’s truck up as we had too much to haul with the SxS. Off the top of my head we had the following;

        3 rifles
        3 shotguns (turkey pattern check)
        ammo (forgot my 12 gauge turkey loads, oops)
        chronograph kit
        targets, holders, tape
        gun rest
        spotting scope
        ear muffs
        safety glasses
        reading glasses
        notebook and pen


        Besides my turkey ammo I also forgot a second tripod for the spotting scope and a blanket or tarp to set stuff on. We parked the truck a little ways away, usually we can run the SxS right up to the bench.

        If we really needed anything (I’ll check my shotgun’s pattern later) we could have headed back down to the house. As it was we spent about 2 1/2 hours up there setting up, shooting and then packing up.


        Point to all this is it makes me wonder, you fellas that have to travel a bit must plan things out pretty well. I’m wondering what things you take along, how long you generally are there and how much travel time is involved. Part of the reason I ask is I’ve thought about joining another club about 30-40 minutes away. I’ve heard they may be installing a 500 yard range in addition to some other upgrades. It’s a good club I’m familiar with from teaching Hunter Ed classes there. I’m just not sure how often I’d make the trip.
        If you have a permanent shooting bench, why not set up a container of some type that you could store and lockup less delicate (shooting bags, targets, stapler, etc.) "range gear" to cut down on the back & forth equipment?
        My shooting bench sits right behind my storage container. I keep alot of my "bench gear" in there.

        P.S. - the bench is less than 50 yards from the house. I don't have any "neighbors"! LOL!

        Comment


        • #5
          So do you guys store your range gear in a dedicated bag or do you pack up each time? I keep most of my stuff in a mechanics tool chest so having to dig everything out each time would be a deterrent. I also don’t want to buy extra crap.

          FB; I’ll probably make a more permanent target stand but trying to keep critters out of any storage containers ends up being a losing battle. Most anything I’d leave there would end up chewed up eventually.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            So do you guys store your range gear in a dedicated bag or do you pack up each time? I keep most of my stuff in a mechanics tool chest so having to dig everything out each time would be a deterrent. I also don’t want to buy extra crap.

            FB; I’ll probably make a more permanent target stand but trying to keep critters out of any storage containers ends up being a losing battle. Most anything I’d leave there would end up chewed up eventually.
            I have two dedicated bags. My range bag has tools, stapler, hearing protection, safety glasses, empty chamber indicators, and target dot stickers. I have another bag with sandbags and a bipod. The larger items are carried loose but I may start holding them together with bungies just to reduce handling.

            Comment


            • #7
              FB; I’ll probably make a more permanent target stand but trying to keep critters out of any storage containers ends up being a losing battle. Most anything I’d leave there would end up chewed up eventually.

              Yes sir! Dealing with that little aggravation as we speak!

              Comment


              • #8
                During the summer I leave a lot of range stuff in the vehicle. If gas goes to $5 my every day will be my Dodge Grand Caravan - 26mpg.

                Nice getting out the other day - up to 72 today.
                Glad summer is hera - I think I have watched all the re-runs of 'Below Deck" and a lot of Dr .Pol the Vet.
                Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  During the summer I leave a lot of range stuff in the vehicle. If gas goes to $5 my every day will be my Dodge Grand Caravan - 26mpg.

                  Nice getting out the other day - up to 72 today.
                  Glad summer is hera - I think I have watched all the re-runs of 'Below Deck" and a lot of Dr .Pol the Vet.
                  The 16mpg 2002 Xterra is used for hunting and hauling stuff.

                  My every day is a 2012 Ford Fusion getting 30mpg. Last year I added a receiver hitch to the Fusion to make it a back-up hunting vehicle. If needed for the range, the rear seat folds down and I can easily haul everything. It's all paved roads, even up to the firing lines.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    During the summer I leave a lot of range stuff in the vehicle. If gas goes to $5 my every day will be my Dodge Grand Caravan - 26mpg.

                    Nice getting out the other day - up to 72 today.
                    Glad summer is hera - I think I have watched all the re-runs of 'Below Deck" and a lot of Dr .Pol the Vet.
                    Agreed on the nice weather Jim, I’ve actually enjoyed work the past few days. It’s supposed to hit 70* tomorrow but next week isn’t looking so good, highs in the upper 30’s and low 40’s with some snow thrown in. Normal for early April.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

                      Agreed on the nice weather Jim, I’ve actually enjoyed work the past few days. It’s supposed to hit 70* tomorrow but next week isn’t looking so good, highs in the upper 30’s and low 40’s with some snow thrown in. Normal for early April.

                      After a bunch of 70 days I got my boat to work on. left it uncovered overnight it was so nice. guess what, next AM I had a foot of snow in it - date May 10th, 1985.

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X