X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale pt2

228F130D-9833-41B1-A670-956D05275B9A.jpeg

725BF4A9-1EFE-4E86-8780-313470477682.png

Did some digging on the net, it’s a bit confusing but I think I’m ok after all.
    Top pic is off the net, bottom is my scale. You can see the three poises above and just two on mine.

Cont’

E0E9127C-B7C6-4901-A3C5-31EE00A9BE6D.jpeg Here’s the RCBS 505 version, same set up as above

Comment

C4EE7D58-DB21-43D8-90D6-17BEB111EB0A.jpeg Now, this is a RCBS 502 scale, note the beam is the same as mine.

Comment

BC827874-4013-4324-9B53-4734DDD870A6.png Last pic, this is from the instruction manual for an RCBS M500 scale. It appears to have the same beam set up as mine and the 502 pictured from the net.

Comment

I’m not going to weigh charges until I can check calibration, it’s possible the beam was switched out at some point, but my guess is somewhere along the line Ohaus reconfigured the scales but not the model number on the one I have. Transition model maybe?

No word back from my Email and I’m not going to bother checking with them unless I hear back. If it weighs check weights correctly I’ll run with it.

Head scratcher for sure.

Comment

Quick scale check!

Grab several bullets of known weight.
            Balance your scale as best you can, then weigh the bullets.
            Using bullets isn't like using test "peas" but will give you a relative idea if you're in the ball park.

The little graduated weights used to calibrate scales are called a "pea".

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              Quick scale check!

Grab several bullets of known weight.
              Balance your scale as best you can, then weigh the bullets.
              Using bullets isn't like using test "peas" but will give you a relative idea if you're in the ball park.

The little graduated weights used to calibrate scales are called a "pea".
              Sometimes the simplest answers are hidden in plain sight.

Thanks FB, got so caught up in thinking I was stuck it didn't even occur to me. I have both 50gr and 52gr bullets for the .22-250 and some 80gr and 100gr for the .243. Several of each ought to work.

Comment

Sooo..

The "main" beam is set up in 5 grain increments and the other balance is in tenth grain increments?

Comment

image_2680.jpg

game on!!!!!!!!

Comment

1F44872F-C52F-40E8-84E7-E0FCEAEACD1D.jpeg Heavy poise in 5 grain increments, light one in tenths up to five grains.

Bullet is a 52gr .224

Almost right on the money. 688F01B6-ED5C-430F-82A3-0EEDD55FC9F9.jpeg

Comment

I’d like to see how the models with 3 work.

Messed me up when I looked for instructions online, nothing labeled as a 505 scale showed one with two. Can’t even find pictures of one that way.

Must make mine more valuable😜

Comment

Is it confusing?
                        If you want, say 37.5 grains, you put the big one on 35 and the little one on 2.5?
                        On my old 5•0•5, you put the big one on 30, the next one on 7 and the little one on .5.

I wonder?
                        Can you use a 5•0•5 beam on a 5•0•2 scale?

Comment

You got it.

Once you’ve maxed the 5gr limit you’d just bump the big one up a notch and start over at 0 on the small side.

Simple really.

The beams look to be the same other than the poise arrangements.

I have to doubt the beam isn’t original to this 505 but who knows.

Edit: I suppose you’d get familiar with what ever you used but the less moving parts the better I’d think. If nothing else it’s one less thing to get bumped or set wrong.
                          Last edited by fitch270; 01-26-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Just an aside, this is the box I found the scale in.

Now that I think about it I should have realized trouble lied ahead.

. 33695509-C0D1-4F91-9763-5DF53AE749ED.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                              I’d like to see how the models with 3 work.

Messed me up when I looked for instructions online, nothing labeled as a 505 scale showed one with two. Can’t even find pictures of one that way.

Must make mine more valuable😜
                              Why don't you call RCBS, they will probably send you the weights. Just tell them you inherited it and they are missing . Jim

The operation is, on a level, stable surface you move the 3 weights to 0 with the weigh pan on, then with the level wheel, move the wheel until the balance pointer is to zero. Then you can use it. If you move it you have to repeat procedure.

don't use it without all three weights.

Go on e-bay, there are tons of pictures of the Ohaus 505. They average about $30.
                              Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-27-2021, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                                by dewman
                                All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                                03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                              • Ammunition vs. components.
                                by Red Angus
                                Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                                03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                              • Deer population
                                by Red Angus
                                Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                                03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                              • Nice find poochie!
                                by FirstBubba
                                The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                                THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                                02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                              • 6.8 Western
                                by jhjimbo
                                Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                                02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X